Potentially getting a Nook for a tablet

zhrakkan

Apr 8, 2011
Looking at reviews and cost, the Nook seems like a nice device to have as a tablet.
If I was to get one, and then root it, is it still possible to take it back?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, you will need to restore it to factory settings if you want to take it back but it is possible to do so.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Looking at reviews and cost, the Nook seems like a nice device to have as a tablet.
If I was to get one, and then root it, is it still possible to take it back?

B & N website says they have a 14 day return policy for the Nook Color. I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm not going to root the device until I know it's a keeper though. You could do what I'm planning - and Boot off the SD card to try it out. You'll get access to Google Market and Nookie Froyo - or whatever bootable ROM you choose - and see if it fits your needs.

The device may run a little slower than internal memory if you use a slow card like a Class 2 uSD.

durendel

Apr 5, 2011
Sort of same boat as you. I was on the fence for awhile but ended up getting one last Sunday and rooted it. When I spoke to the sales person he told me it's a 14 day policy but keep your original packaging and accessories.

I've read that the return policy can be a bit of a hassle. The recommendation is to call B&N and get an RMA number and send it back and they will credit your account but it's not a fast process. I haven't done this yet so it's just what I've read on the internet boards.

My thoughts is that I'll end up returning it. I don't like how the screen isn't as sensitive or responsive as my I-pod touch or the I-pad (gen 1) that I've used. It's really noticeable when you try to resize a page in the web browser. I've tried the default browser, the Dolphin one and Firefox and it's all the same. It is nice that it can multi-task which is a good plus and has a SD card slot.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sort of same boat as you. I was on the fence for awhile but ended up getting one last Sunday and rooted it. When I spoke to the sales person he told me it's a 14 day policy but keep your original packaging and accessories.

I've read that the return policy can be a bit of a hassle. The recommendation is to call B&N and get an RMA number and send it back and they will credit your account but it's not a fast process. I haven't done this yet so it's just what I've read on the internet boards.

My thoughts is that I'll end up returning it. I don't like how the screen isn't as sensitive or responsive as my I-pod touch or the I-pad (gen 1) that I've used. It's really noticeable when you try to resize a page in the web browser. I've tried the default browser, the Dolphin one and Firefox and it's all the same. It is nice that it can multi-task which is a good plus and has a SD card slot.

Touch sensativity can be a known issue. After a reboot you have to press the power button to sleep the nook and then press it or the n button again to wake the nook back up. This should clear the general touch sensitivity issue.

The browsers don't have the best pinch to zoom ever but I don't think it is too bad and certainly better than other tablets I have tried. The double tap to zoom to specific text also works well. Judgement of touch response is based on opinion but for the most part people are not having issues with how it responds other than on the extreme edges. There is also a tool for calibrating touch if you are having issues.

durendel

Apr 5, 2011
J515OP, Thanks for the information. Actually as I was writing that I realized the strengths of the Nook outweigh the weaknesses! I'll try that trick with the Reboot-> Sleep -> Wake thing tonight. I am hoping that when B&N releases their update it does include a flash player.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
J515OP, Thanks for the information. Actually as I was writing that I realized the strengths of the Nook outweigh the weaknesses! I'll try that trick with the Reboot-> Sleep -> Wake thing tonight. I am hoping that when B&N releases their update it does include a flash player.

That should help with the touch. If you still need adjust it you can search this forum for the calibration app and instructions. The B&N release is suppose to include flash and should be here by the end of the month. Even if it doesn't work as expected for some reason, there are already lots of custom ROMs running flash, tablet style OSes (even though Google has held back the honeycomb source code for now) and even bluetooh! Check out the Technical sub-forum for details on the ROMs.

:D

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
as J515OP pointed out, rooting is just a first step in unlocking the wonders of the nook - once you have a custom ROM installed it rocks even more

for things i want to to with my tablet
read book - check
read news - check
listen to music, watch youtube videos - check
turn by turn navigation - check
send email and text messages - check
social networking - facebook,twitter - check
play slice it - check

and
i just tried an app called Playon - it is a paid app with a 14 day trial - that you install on your PC and on your nook and it lets you stream content to you nook - so if you are out and about you can watch hulu, amazon VOD, Netlfix, NFL, Comedy Central etc.. (some of these due require you have an account with them to access feed)

i am at work and used it to stream netfix on to my nook - smooth playback using custom ROm tt.CM7

That should help with the touch. If you still need adjust it you can search this forum for the calibration app and instructions. The B&N release is suppose to include flash and should be here by the end of the month. Even if it doesn't work as expected for some reason, there are already lots of custom ROMs running flash, tablet style OSes (even though Google has held back the honeycomb source code for now) and even bluetooh! Check out the Technical sub-forum for details on the ROMs.

:D

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
as J515OP pointed out, rooting is just a first step in unlocking the wonders of the nook - once you have a custom ROM installed it rocks even more

for things i want to to with my tablet
read book - check
read news - check
listen to music, watch youtube videos - check
turn by turn navigation - check
send email and text messages - check
social networking - facebook,twitter - check
play slice it - check

and
i just tried an app called Playon - it is a paid app with a 14 day trial - that you install on your PC and on your nook and it lets you stream content to you nook - so if you are out and about you can watch hulu, amazon VOD, Netlfix, NFL, Comedy Central etc.. (some of these due require you have an account with them to access feed)

i am at work and used it to stream netfix on to my nook - smooth playback using custom ROm tt.CM7

Yo Anima once again you have introduced me to another truckload of awesome. Playon is badass! One issue I'm having; No Sound? Any suggestions before I wander over to the Playon forums for advice...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Teehee silly person. It occurred to me to try that but maybe I didn't press it hard enough. It works better if you mash it like a bug right? LOL Like how clicking the mouse button over and over makes you computer respond better.

/smartass

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Teehee silly person. It occurred to me to try that but maybe I didn't press it hard enough. It works better if you mash it like a bug right? LOL Like how clicking the mouse button over and over makes you computer respond better.

/smartass

Exactly!

$5670.button_5F00_mashing.jpg

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
:) yeah i am beginning to think this little nook can do it all - as for sound i have not encountered so don't know how to advice - only thing to try is perhaps a headphone might help hear the sound assuming it is just a weak signal

yeah playon is sweet - i've been hoping for netflix to come to android but this is an excellent work around for me

Yo Anima once again you have introduced me to another truckload of awesome. Playon is badass! One issue I'm having; No Sound? Any suggestions before I wander over to the Playon forums for advice...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
:) yeah i am beginning to think this little nook can do it all - as for sound i have not encountered so don't know how to advice - only thing to try is perhaps a headphone might help hear the sound assuming it is just a weak signal

yeah playon is sweet - i've been hoping for netflix to come to android but this is an excellent work around for me
The Netfix app was leaked Netflix for Android APK Leaked and it is gorgeous. However then backend is obvs not up and running.

Soon, sooooooooooon.....

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
The Netfix app was leaked Netflix for Android APK Leaked and it is gorgeous. However then backend is obvs not up and running.

Soon, sooooooooooon.....

I saw in the news - or on a TEch Blog - that Netflix not being able to run was a Hardware issue. Not being a tech guru, I don't quite understand that - when the device can play a bunch of other videos - why not Netflix.

Ya think they'll be able to get it on current gen Android Tablets - or are we waiting for next generation hardware to get Netflix to stream.