Power off -- Need Help

jrhua

Jan 31, 2011
Greeting all,

I just got my S7 from BB yesterday by a member's tips here and enjoyed it so far. You guys are great and helpful! :)

But I ran into a scenario of not being able to power off a few times already so I had to remove the battery completely and restart it agian. I search this forum and couldn't find any hints on this. I haven't rooted the device yet. Can anyone help me ? Maybe I got a lemon one ? :confused:

Thanks,

JR

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
With the screen on and unlocked you should be able to hold down the button on the top right corner for about two seconds and then on the screen should come three options with one being to shut down.

jrhua

Jan 31, 2011
My screen basiclly just hung. There are no options for me to choose.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Reflashing a new ROM might fix the problem. It is not without risk though.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Greeting all,

I just got my S7 from BB yesterday by a member's tips here and enjoyed it so far. You guys are great and helpful! :)

But I ran into a scenario of not being able to power off a few times already so I had to remove the battery completely and restart it agian. I search this forum and couldn't find any hints on this. I haven't rooted the device yet. Can anyone help me ? Maybe I got a lemon one ? :confused:

Thanks,

JR

Certainly sounds like your device is defective. I've had my hung to the point of having to remove the battery maybe two or three times in the last three months. This typically associated with connecting or disconnecting the S7 to the charger with the battery in a depleted state. One other thing you might want to check however is whether the issue is associated with an added external microSD card. If you have a defective card then that could possibly cause hangs during the process of scanning and readying the card for use during bootup. If you don't have an external microSD card installed, then obviously disregard. Good luck.

jrhua

Jan 31, 2011
I try to follow the instructions in the sticky and have a question about the following steps. Could you elaborate it more and how to get ADB or Emulator ?

Thanks,
JR

Perform a Factory Reset
Via ADB:
1. connect your device
2. type adb shell reboot recovery

Via Terminal Emulator on Device
1. open Terminal Emulator
2. type su
3. at the # type reboot recovery

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Not sure how pulling the battery will screw things up, as all system files are read only

Pete, on the move...