Predictive Spelling and Dictionary Problems

JTCameron

Jun 2, 2013
Hello All,

Firstly I am sorry if this is not the best place to ask this question but was recommended that I did.

I am currently having a problem with my ZeniThink Android tablet with Jellybean, this is that all words I type in on every application underlines itself in red implying it is not in the dictionary. I searched on the internet and found two apk's to copy to system> app folder however one will not copy which I am to believe it is a common error and that to overcome it you should ADB push. The apk's I found are LatinIme.apk and LatinImeGoogle.apk, which is the one that will not copy. (Source:http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ve-spelling-dictionary-solved.html#post236467). Neither will install either.

I have also read many posts on this forum, which most mention about having a rooted device. I have not rooted my device as I do not know how to and do not have a USB cable for my device which I believe will make it hard to root.

I understand nothing about ADB but have been following video tutorials on YouTube and have managed to connect my device to Android SDK using WiFi as I do not have a USB cable for my tablet. I tried to copy/install the apk. by using this code: adb install LatinImeGoogle.apk

However, I get this error:
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools>adb install LatinImeGoogle.apk 9 KB/s (6160710 bytes in 663.958s) pkg: /data/local/tmp/LatinImeGoogle.apkFailure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES].

As I know absolutely nothing about ADB or anything to do with developing, by reading posts on this website, I am really struggling to find a solution.

Please help me stop the horrible underlining of words!
Thanks in Advance,

James :eek:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Those two files are system files. On a device that has root access ("rooting") it is possible to replace the existing stock keyboard with those two files, thus providing the tablet with a dictionary that can be used for spell checking. However, you are not rooted. As a result, you can attempt to copy the files to /system until blue in the face. You won't succeed. Even worse, you cannot install those files like ordinary apps.

To fix your issue, you must root the tablet and copy the files to /system/app. Otherwise, you have no choice but to deal with red lines beneath every word of text you type, because even aftermarket keyboards look to use the built-in spell check dictionary. If an aftermarket keyboard doesn't find the dictionary it's going to provide the same result. I'm not aware of any aftermarket keyboards that include their own spell check libraries.

JTCameron

Jun 2, 2013
Thankyou very much 'Traveller1701'. This may seem a stupid question however I know nothing about rooting, is it possible to root a device without a USB cable?

Thanks in advance!

James

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi James.

I know nothing about ZeniThink tabs. And, what's more, I don't have a clue about rooting. But, maybe, if you uncheck Spell Checker in the Language section of the Settings App, at least it may stop the red underlining of all your words.

Ed

JTCameron

Jun 2, 2013
Thanks Ed for the advice, that had crossed my mind however I do find it extremely time consuming when it comes to typing sentences etc in comparison with my android phone.

Kind Regards,

James

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Thankyou very much 'Traveller1701'. This may seem a stupid question however I know nothing about rooting, is it possible to root a device without a USB cable?
The rooting process varies from one device to another. There are a few devices that actually can be rooted without a cable. Most though require one, so spend a few quid and get one. Even if you don't root, and I don't recommend it unless you know exactly what you're getting into, you can use the cable to transfer files between the tablet's internal and external MicroSD cards and the PC.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
My device uses a USB cable to wall charge itself. Doesn't the ZeniThink tablet work the same way? Even if you do not root, it will save you 'a few quid' and allow you to transfer files between PC and tab. In the meantime, I'm sure a rooter will turn up and share some expertise.

JTCameron

Jun 2, 2013
Thanks Ed, my tablet device is actually the A1CS X220 but believed it was ZeniThink as that what is says when it loads and the software downloads came off the ZeniThink website, so no I just have a main charger with no USB cable. I am looking on eBay for one.

Thanks for the advice!