Printing

BostonDan2

Feb 7, 2012
I'm new to tablets, but one area I'm shocked that there isn't better support is printing. I've seen apps such as printshare, printbot, Google's print solution, etc. that let you select a file and print it, but still nothing which enables me to print directly from apps.

Is this the norm. It seems crazy that this functionality is missing.

Has anyone ditched Android for an OS which supports printing. If yes, any suggestions on which OS is best for tablets. Ubuntu is the direction I'm considering.

Thoughts?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk

mamawm

Dec 24, 2011
do a search in the market for your printer brand. i know hp, epson, lexmark, and kodak all have apps for use with their wireless printers. some of them are not yet optimized for ics but i'm sure they are working on it.

BostonDan2

Feb 7, 2012
I've searched the market but the printing apps I find don't enable me to print from the applications I use. They a require that I save the file and then launch a separate program to print the file. I expected I would be able to print straight from my word processor, spreadsheets, email, etc... None of these apps support direct printing like you would on Windows. It feels clunky to print.

mamawm

Dec 24, 2011
yeah, it's just the way things work right now. i'm sure it won't be long before it will be as easy as from a laptop. it's not any better from an ipad. 2 years ago when i got my 1st android phone, there were NO printing apps. we've come a long way, but still a little farther to go.

mikespe

May 18, 2011
I've searched the market but the printing apps I find don't enable me to print from the applications I use. They a require that I save the file and then launch a separate program to print the file. I expected I would be able to print straight from my word processor, spreadsheets, email, etc... None of these apps support direct printing like you would on Windows. It feels clunky to print.

LOL! Technology has spoiled us hasn't it! I mean we just have an extra 3 clicks at most? Maybe 45 seconds out of our lives...YES it would be nice to have printing directly from our apps but's it's really not that difficult to go to the other app & print...