[PRJ] apps2sd discussion

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Now we need to make sure these files are executable with the following commands:

chmod 755 /sdcard/etc/install-recovery.sh
chmod 755 /sdcard/etc/init-sd.sh

~Ivy

....and this should read

chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
chmod 755 /system/etc/init-sd.sh

Everything worked perfect and I now have my apps on the SD card. So far everything works good and I don't see any lag in anything that I use. You guys are awesome and I can't thank you all enough for your contribution to the community. Keep up the great work.

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks Shanksv,

Picked up another mistake I will edit when I get home tonight. I will also then reupload the apps-sd scripts and howto.

I may have also worked out a way to make this easier on people. Just as long as they can use the ADB shell =)

~Ivy

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
So now if I load the device with a different firmware, do I follow the same set of instructions or can we pick it up from some half way point? Obviously I will not have to do the partitioning but what else?

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Whether it is possible to make it with an internal flash card? What nuances can be?

If you are talking about the 8G internal card, then yes it can be done. That is what I have done. Apart from loosing howevermuch of space you decide to partition I do not see any drawback. In fact I personally prefer that as I could use multiple external cards. If you choose to go with the external card that will most likely always have to be in there to use anything that you might have installed on it.

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Hi Daz, modifying the init.rc is a lot harder than it seeems. As one needs to modify the boot image. I am looking into unpacking the boot image and making a custom boot.

ivy

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
So now if I load the device with a different firmware, do I follow the same set of instructions or can we pick it up from some half way point? Obviously I will not have to do the partitioning but what else?

You do all the steps again, except the partitioning.

IMPORTANT: Do not copy the apps, data, etc over. You would then lose your old apps.

Last edited:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I have used a 1.54G partition for the apps2sd. I have seen warnings about going over 2G. Has anyone tried any different sized partitions?

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
If you are talking about the 8G internal card, then yes it can be done. That is what I have done. Apart from loosing howevermuch of space you decide to partition I do not see any drawback. In fact I personally prefer that as I could use multiple external cards. If you choose to go with the external card that will most likely always have to be in there to use anything that you might have installed on it.
Well I might have spoken too soon. Everything seems to work fine till I reboot the device, upon a reboot I lost everything and the device reset. Can someone else check it out? To further clarify, once I insert my external SD card and reboot, my system gets all confused with my internal card partioned with Apps2SD. External card is a 16G card

Last edited:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Well I might have spoken too soon. Everything seems to work fine till I reboot the device, upon a reboot I lost everything and the device reset. Can someone else check it out? To further clarify, once I insert my external SD card and reboot, my system gets all confused with my internal card partioned with Apps2SD. External card is a 16G card

Can you send us the output of a "mount" command with and without the external sdcard inserted?

I think the problem is that with the US machine, the internal card is mounted as /sdcard, but when you insert a card, it is mounted as /sdcard2 and the inserted card is mounted as /sdcard. We will have to change the init.rc file to change this behaviour. Otherwise the alternative would be to mount on the internal card, but always have an external sdcard in, or always have it out. The mount point for the ext2 partition will be different for the two options.

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Holy to many complicated steps Bateman!!!! =-o What is the actual issue as to why apps2sd is not working? Is it a partition issue? File system? Android 2.1 limitation?