[PRJ] Updating Telechips kernel to 2.6.35

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
I'm not much further. I took some time to actually use my tablet to read a book this weekend, so i haven't worked on the sources much in the past few days.

Sent from my MID7015 using Tapatalk

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
The kernel is 2.6.29, and I'm applying the changes from the telechips source to 2.6.35. That file appears to be from 2.6.28.

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
an interesting thing i've found while poking around in the SD/MMC drivers... the Telechips 92xx/89xx chipsets support SDIO... which means you should be able to add SDIO gps and/or 3g (if they make such an SDIO card....)

EDIT: after digging around on google, i've only found one compeany that has made microSDIO devices, and there's not much info about them (the products on the company's website (Spectec)). if anyone has any more info, it would be nice to know if these types of devices are possible to connect to the telechips boards.

I found this:
DealExtreme: $5.71 SD to MicroSD/TransFlash Card Converter Module
SD to micro sd converter. Could be useful.

Bill

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Nope. Got busy producing a rom for 2.1 after the coby 7015A update...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jackrussell

Feb 19, 2011
Erm.... I'm nowhere near finished yet, danny. When I have something semi-safe to try, I'll post it. This will probably be a long, aggravating process. And then the day after I'm done, coby will release a 2.2 update (just because that's the way it always works :p )
called coby today 2/28/11 no 2.2 update available. also according to the support person
I talked to there will be no update ever for the mid7015 they are releasing another tablet with 2.3 and the 3.0

bitst0rm

Feb 22, 2011
Nope. Got busy producing a rom for 2.1 after the coby 7015A update...

No worries. Goto Watery runnin right now in fact. Lovin it. Loads better than stock.
Let us know if there's anything we can do to help the kernel patching effort.

-Bit

trthskr4

Dec 23, 2010
Hi trthskr4 how could you install the 2.2 cyanogenmod?
Thanks for the help, Cheers, -Luca

Sorry, I work 14 days and off 14, just got back but do a Google search for "Froyo Kernel for Coby Kyros" and it should be the first 2 hits that come up. It's just like installing a backup ROM. No O/C kernel yet though.

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
I've just started, but I wanted to let anybody interested know that I'm attempting to manually apply the Telechips edits to the Android kernel and WebKit sources to update the Kyros to FroYo.

If anyone wants to help with testing, I'll post images when I have them. I'll risk my own device first, though. I do know that fastboot works on this device, so as long as I have the nandroid backup img's, I *should* be able to un-brick my tablet (I've already had to do this once (I hosed recovery and boot with bad img's)).

Maybe this will fix some other issues we've been having...

Hello,

I have been working with the X5A-G Telechips model for a few months now and will now be switching over to the 7015. I am new to this forum but use the same name on XDA as well as Slatedroid. Not sure where you are on this but congratts on trying! I spent a good two weeks trying to get the crap Telechips released back in December to compile, it is complete rubish. The two devices seem very similiar so far but without a kernel I seem to be stuck just modding what we currently have. If you would like to share what you have so far just drop me a note, if not I will just keep an eye on your thread.

Cheers

mirsev

Feb 22, 2011
If anyone wants to help with testing, I'll post images when I have them. I'll risk my own device first, though. I do know that fastboot works on this device, so as long as I have the nandroid backup img's, I *should* be able to un-brick my tablet (I've already had to do this once (I hosed recovery and boot with bad img's)).
Hello, I don't think you need to risk your device by flashing anything to NAND. You can use mkbootimg to build the boot image with new kernel and ramdisk, and then boot it with "fastboot boot boot.img" command. At least I can boot clockwork recovery images and enter "adb shell" without flashing the image into the tablet. The kernel supplied with the tablet and with clockwork recovery ramdisk works well: I could walk on clockwork recovery menu, do some tests, but I did not try to flash or wipe anything.

Do you have already running kernel? I could compile the 2.6.29 kernel from Telechips, build the boot image with clockwork recovery ramdisk, but when I try to boot this new image, the strange thing happens...

If I enter to fastboot mode from power off state by pressing "Back" and "Power" buttons, the kernel loads, Linux logo appears on the screen and in a few seconds the tablet turns off (kernel crash?).

In contrast, if I enter fastboot mode when tablet is already ON by pressing "Back" and "Reset" buttons, the kernel boots and even runs init, starts adbd and recovery utlity from ramdisk. I could even use adb to get logs from dmesg and dump some /proc/* stuff to get the configurartion to compare it with one from working kernel. Nevertheless, the tablet turns of in a few minutes (another kernel crash?).

Have you tried to build 2.6.29 kernel? Does it work?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
It's known not to work. I've shelved this project for now.. I'll try to upload my diff and edited sources for someone else to mess with later.

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
could this be used on the P7??? if so how would I go about flashing it? also any other mods/roms that work on the p7 out there????

Have two android phones all modded and flashed so have some experience but need a few pointers with tabs...