Probably a stupid question but...

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
How do I watch videos on the NC? I've already ready the guides on converting dvd's to mp4 format. I've done that, but how do I get them onto the Nook? I tried dumping an mp4 file over to the 5gb internal storage via the usb cable, but I cant figure how to access it. I tried downloading a file explorer but cant find the file. So then I tried copying the file directly to a formatted sd card and I cant access it either...What am I doing wrong? Also, I read there is a built in video player? Where is it? I see a music player, but not video. When I open the music player, I see a CD icon in the center of it, is this to play video?

Basically, I need a step by step guide on how to transfer and access files (specifically video in this case) on the NC.....

Thanks for any help you can give...

Todd

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
Ok, so I found that the video shows up in the "Gallery" app and plays fine. Im still curious though why I cant find the file in the file explorer app i downloaded. When I go to the /SDCard folder, there is nothing in it. Also, when I have the NC connected via USB, the folders that show up on the internal memory do not matchup with the folders that are listed in the file explorer app. Do movie files have to be saved in a certain place and then the gallery app just knows to look in a certain directory for files?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, so I found that the video shows up in the "Gallery" app and plays fine. Im still curious though why I cant find the file in the file explorer app i downloaded. When I go to the /SDCard folder, there is nothing in it. Also, when I have the NC connected via USB, the folders that show up on the internal memory do not matchup with the folders that are listed in the file explorer app. Do movie files have to be saved in a certain place and then the gallery app just knows to look in a certain directory for files?

When you pulg your nook into your pc with an SD card installed two drives will show up in my computer. One will be the internal memory of the Nook and the other will be the SD card. Make sure you make note of which one you are copying the file to and what directory you are puting the file in.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
I did not have an sdcard in the NC when I plugged it into my PC. So the drive that was showing up was the internal one only. (and it registered as a 5gb drive). But the problem is that the folders that are listed when I look at it in windows are not the same as when I browse it on the NC using a file explorer utility.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
With your file manager navigate to the folder marked emmc on your NC. That's folder that shows up when you plug your NC into a PC without an SD. It is the same as the //MyNookColor drive that you see when you plug into your pc.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Neither my Nook/Cyanogen nor my mSD card show on the "Computer" page where the other drives show their stuff.
Drives "G" and "H" are absent. Why is that ?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like you PC isn't recognizing your nook. Try another usb port?

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Did that several times before this writing. I've try a different machine too. It's possible that I need some drivers for the Nook-Color.
I've never run the Nook as a Nook before.
Should I just use the default
B&N>Support>downloads>drivers ??
Or
Are there better drivers ?

I'll wait for an answer,
Thanks, Mike
1hen2ducks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try the B&N drivers. In the early days you would sometimes get a driver dection error with eve the stock nook but you could ignore it without issues. It should auto detect and ask when you plug in the first time but you do have to enable usb debugging once you are rooted or on a custom ROM.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Yes, Degugging was the issue, and the reason it showed up on two machines.

Once again, you've come to my aid.
Thanks,
Mike

Now, what was I trying to do before being sidetracked ? Oh yeah, I can't get music to show on the device nor will music play.
OK, onward >>>> through the FOG >>>

Last edited: