Problem with rooted nook (may be bricked)

tomtin

Jan 30, 2011
So I rooted the nook color last week. Everything went great and I installed a bunch of apps. I noticed that my clock widget time was off and found out it was because my task killer stopped the background services. No big deal so I figure, I will tweak the settings to ignore that widget to get the time back. It didn't update after a long time, so I figure a reboot is in order.

I turn it off. And it wouldn't turn back on no matter what. After messing with it for an hour or so, I decide to unroot. I do that and it gets restored to factory settings. However, I cannot download any of my barnes and noble's books with factory settings. So I decide to re-root. I try and try and it doesn't work. Basically, the nook color boots when the usb plugs in and I get the android little guy but nothing happens after. I left it like that for over an hour and it just stays. It looks like it is updating but nothing actually happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, as a side note, for some reason after I originally rooted the nook, my sd card went from 4g to only 39 mb. I went into device manager for the card and the rest of the space is "unallocated." It also doesn't give me an option to allocate that space in any way. Would the card have something to do with why I'm having such a problem now? I really want to get my nook working again. I appreciate any advice you regulars can give.

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
Not sure about the brick part, but the SD card sound like it needs to be reformatted ( I had the same issue). Settings>Device info>SD card>Unmount SD card> Format SD card. Remember reformatting will erase all info on card.

Karl

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Tomtin, you should look at the thread I have posted in my sig...it will make sure there is nothing goofy that is half installed, or uninstalled.

As for your SD card...you have to format it in the Nook to get it back to its full capacity. (this happens every time you put an image onto the card.) If your Nook is on now (which is sounds it is doing something now at least) go into settings, Device Info, SD Card...unmount SD Card...format SD card

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
So I rooted the nook color last week. Everything went great and I installed a bunch of apps. I noticed that my clock widget time was off and found out it was because my task killer stopped the background services. No big deal so I figure, I will tweak the settings to ignore that widget to get the time back. It didn't update after a long time, so I figure a reboot is in order.

I turn it off. And it wouldn't turn back on no matter what. After messing with it for an hour or so, I decide to unroot. I do that and it gets restored to factory settings. However, I cannot download any of my barnes and noble's books with factory settings. So I decide to re-root. I try and try and it doesn't work. Basically, the nook color boots when the usb plugs in and I get the android little guy but nothing happens after. I left it like that for over an hour and it just stays. It looks like it is updating but nothing actually happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, as a side note, for some reason after I originally rooted the nook, my sd card went from 4g to only 39 mb. I went into device manager for the card and the rest of the space is "unallocated." It also doesn't give me an option to allocate that space in any way. Would the card have something to do with why I'm having such a problem now? I really want to get my nook working again. I appreciate any advice you regulars can give.

I kind of think you are ok.

I have a few questions for curiosity shake.
-Since root, did you reboot at any time before your turn off and not being able to turn back on situations?
-What did you change, add or install before the reboot?
-Was you sd card still installed in your NC when turning back on?

-If you have you sd card inserted and you didn’t reformat it back to correct size, remove the sd card and try to reboot. Then you should be fine…. I think.

If that works, we can move on to reformatting your sd card back to original size.

-Your autonooted created sd card, once made, can not be left in your NC. It won't let you NC turn on except for when you plug up your usb and want to root your NC. That is how it work and is made, I believe. Once you root your NC, you need to let the NC reformat your sd card.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
On another side note... I personally do not use any automatic task killers. I have a mini manual one, where I can kill apps if frozen or slow. When we get into stable froyo roms, task killers should not be used at all according to Google. They have adverse effects within the 2.2 os at least.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
So I rooted the nook color last week. Everything went great and I installed a bunch of apps. I noticed that my clock widget time was off and found out it was because my task killer stopped the background services.

On another side note... I personally do not use any automatic task killers. I have a mini manual one, where I can kill apps if frozen or slow. When we get into stable froyo roms, task killers should not be used at all according to Google. They have adverse effects within the 2.2 os at least.

^Steve, did you mean to make the above post on this tread?

I think his answer is yes rico...lol...I missed it the first time too, so you aren't alone.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes because tomtin said the task killer was messing with the clock widget

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok Sorry if I missed this guys, but tomtin did you erase and de-register, then re-register and sideload before you re-rooted?

tomtin

Jan 30, 2011
Ok Sorry if I missed this guys, but tomtin did you erase and de-register, then re-register and sideload before you re-rooted?

I didn't...I think the problem was as previously posted, that I didnt format the sd card ever. So when I rebooted, it gave me problems bc the card was still in there. I also didn't de-register the nook since I couldn't get it to boot.

I figured out how to completely format the card using a sd formatter. But my nook won't post; I'm stuck in this endless loop where I get the nook color screen but it never actually posts. I tried a hard reset using power button + vol up + home, i select go to factory settings but it just give me an endless loop. So right now, I'm trying to get it to fail booting 8 times in an attempt to get it to post, so I can autonooter it again.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to try and fix this all night!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks. This helped a bit.

After numerous attempts, I got it back to normal. I screwed up because before I attempted to reroot using the new autonooter, I didn't update the software to 1.1.0. So...yeah. Lol Thanks again for your help guys!

Glad it all worked out for you. See not bricked and although a little work to get back, nothing really to worry about. :)