Problems playing video files :( A101

JueBob

Nov 23, 2011
Hi All!

Newbie here, virgin to the android world but hoping that the good old power of the techie brilliance of forum's will rejuvinate my desires to explore the new world I've opened up!

Fighting every fibre of my body, I went against that little voice in my head saying "get an iPad!!! get an iPad!!!" and went for an android tablet. As far as the reviews went, value for money and what I'd been reading about the android OS in general, I felt this the right move! Unfortunately I'm starting to wonder (but willing to have my eyes opened to the non fruit based unit.

Got the Archos 101 18gb the other weekend and started to set it up. Gutted that within such a short space of time I've had to resort to posting on a forum (Google just didn't come up with the goods on this occasion - not lost my faith in Google, awesome beast, just that this must be something specific to the Archos).

In a nutshell, I went for the Android as from what I'd seen, it was the best option to be able to play video across my home network from my NAS box, something that Apple can't (without various app's and even then I've not found one that works so well). Unfortunately after going through the set-up, being forced down the route of getting a gmail account and getting onto the home wireless, I clicked the "Video" app only to get the message:

"you cannot use the internal storage while it is connected and mounted via usb"

I attempted to open the "Files" app to see if it was a player issue and thought I'd check if I can at least look at the content of the NAS, USB stick but the same error appeared there. In fact on clicking the "home" icon, I got a message saying the process (com.archos.fm) had stopped unexpectedly and to try again (yeah! so I can get that same error again! I think not!).

I've re-booted, re-loaded (factory settings), tried a USB stick with an AVI, MPEG4 and MKV file on, Micro SD (with the same type of files) and still all I get when I open either of these two apps is the same message :(

Not sure what tech specs any of you need, so I've put what I think below (if there's anything else then please ask and I'll find it out):
Model No. - 8000 A10 1IT
Android version - 2.2.1
Firmware version - 2.3.6
Boot version 4.04.000001

I'd had high hopes for this unit and really thought it was going to massively exceed my doubting expectations given the love for Android out there, but so far sadly I'm losing hope and interest. I'd planned to take the unit away with me this weekend and was hoping to watch movie content on it, but to press the chances are looking slimmer than a waffer thin biscuit!

If ANYONE has any ideas or suggestions as to a) why this is happening, b) if it's an Archos or Android isue and more importantly c) how to fix the darn problem!!! I would be most grateful!!!

Yours with hope!

J

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello again J, you didn't mention you already had a tablet in your intro or I would have referred you to the Archos Tablets section for any help or information you needed for your A101. You're more likely to get help from the folks who have that particular tablet, so I'm going to move your thread to that section for you.

JueBob

Nov 23, 2011
Just a quick addition to append updates from further testing........

It was suggested that the USB port was faulty, think I've proven this not to be the case (and proven that the fault is intermittant) as following more digging around on the net, I turned off the wireless LAN connection and then put into Airplane Mode, rebooted the unit and went into the "Videos" app.

Not only did this actually show some folders (as opposed to a blank screen and returning the error mentioned) but I was able to drill-down into the "Sample Video's" folder and play a cartoon that comes with the Archos for demo's.

Clearly this must be something to do with wireless of a conflict in the OS between a couple of factors, but what??? :(

Not sure how long this will remain working, or if it'll revert back to the error later when I hook back onto the wireless network back home, but will hopefully get a concluding resolution from some techie genius here soon ;o)

Ta,

J