Problems w/ my rooted NC, frequent re-booting, stuck on welcome screen - unusable now

WatchFan1

Feb 1, 2011
Looking for advice as how to move forward. I have been using my rooted NC without any
major problems and it was rooted since day one. Occasionally it would re-boot on its own
(sometimes once sometimes twice per evening. I read here about some people experiencing
the same with their rooted Nooks, but I did not worry about it much.

Fast forward to last night:

- I was not able to get the NC working. After several tries it would finally turn on after I
plugged in the charger. At first I though that it was just a drained battery. Not so !
After it finally booted, it showed 93% full battery. As it was plugged in on the charger
it continued to cycle in re-booting itself. At one point I saw a message:
"Do not turn off - a new software is being installed '...or something like that..

I thought maybe it is just going to update itself to a new B&N version and I was just
going to loose my rooting, but when it finally rebooted...it shows 1.0.1 version that I am
pretty sure I had before.

Now I cannot even get past the welcome screen:

Nook1.jpg

I am 99% sure that this is just a software issue and there is nothing physically wrong
with the hardware. What do you guys suggest I should do next ?
I am OK if I have to go temporarily to B&N default software and then root again. I rooted from 1.0.1
and I think I want to go to 1.1 anyway so when I re-root I can get the pinch zoom in all apps.

Looking forward to hearing your advice. Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• $Nook.jpg
    $Nook.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
your rooting process must have messed up somewhere.. theres no "quick fix" but the easiest way is to just revert to stock by reinstalling using a ClockworkMod bootable sd card using the instructions here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html.
Then you can reroot.

i suggest reverting to 1.0.1 and if you want to upgrade to 1.1 use this version: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/7127-rom-nook-color-v1-1-0-pre-rooted.html

the whole process is pretty fast and painless

WatchFan1

Feb 1, 2011
Finally...after trying to hold the power button and the home button at once for a few seconds I received this message:
$Nook2.jpg
Now the NC is 'clearing data' and resetting to factory B&N settings. I think I am going to update to B&N 1.1 and the root again.

WatchFan1

Feb 1, 2011
Thank you, revenge for your advice. I was traveling abroad the last 2 weeks and did not get a chance to keep up with this forum.
Did I miss any major updates ? Is 2.2 already out or am I going to re-root to the same OS I had before?

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
2.2 from B&N isn't out yet. There is 2.2 froyo via custom Roms though. You will have to autonooter from NookDevs for 1.0.1 or 1.1.0, which ever you are one. Make sure you have an absolutely clean stock NC before rooting again. You prolly do if it asked you to reregister.