Problems with the 'Market' application and 'eoe Market'

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
Hi folks,

I am an Android newb, and have just bought my first tablet (Mid X5A with Android 2.1)
I've managed to axcess the net, using a local McDonald's wifi. However, I am up against a brick wall, due to a couple of snags: I need to get a PDF reader into the tablet, however, the "Market" application doesn't open. (All I get is a white screen.) Anyone know how to correct this?

Is it possible to download an Android pdf reader via my desktop PC and transfer it to my tablet using an SD card?

There is another applet on my tablet called "eoe Market". It requires me to register. However, when I enter an email address, password, etc, and hit "register" I get a small rectangular box with Chinese characters, and nothing else happens. Is eoe Market worth having, and if so what is the secret of getting past the aforementioned Chinese message?

One more question... My tablet has a 2600 Mah battery. I am surprised to find that the battery runs down quite quickly even if the tablet is switched off. Is that normal?

Many thanks for any help,

Kloop

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
it sounds like the internet connection you are using is the problem and from what i remember about another post your made you had problem connecting to mcdonalds wifi in the first place. so what i would do is set up wireless at your own place and see if that helps, but sense you can connect to the internet you can try this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...1-how-side-load-apps-if-market-wont-work.html

p.s. what did you have to do to connect to the mcdonalds wifi

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
if your Pad is already registered with Android Market you can use a normal browser to go to https://market.android.com/
then select your pad and it should soon be downloaded to your pad.

in my experience eoeMarket is trash, it crashes all the time when i use the regular android market.
HERE are instructions on how to remove it

Maybe you need to log into the McDonalds net before you can connect to the Market?

Sadly the battery bug is a 'known' problem, it seems to be in the software or the battery sensing electronic.

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
Hi Prob and Loonix,

Thanks very much for the help - much appreciated! Firstly, to answer the question: I managed to get online via McDonald's wifi after taking the following two steps which I didn't take the first time I tried:

(1) I entered an O2 mobile phone number when prompted (luckily I do have an O2 account - but I didn't have the number with me the other day when I tried to use McDonald's wifi.)
(2) In Settings/Wireless & Networks/Wifi Settings/Wifi Networks, I didn't realise that you have to click on the Wifi network that's being detected, before you can use it! After I discovered this, I was connected.

Thanks for the info about side loading.

I have got the USB connection between tablet and my Win7 PC working now. That was after I discovered how to access the option "USB connected (external)" within Android 2.1.

Using my Win7 PC, I just downloaded AdobeReader.ASP onto an SD card. However, The 'ES File Explorer' on my Android 2.1 tablet can't see the file, so I can't execute it! It can see everything else on the SD card, except the .ASP file I just downloaded onto it. My Windows7 PC can see the file, but the tablet can't! Can anyone explain? How do I launch the Adobe Reader app?

>>>if your Pad is already registered with Android Market you can use a normal browser to go to https://market.android.com/
then select your pad and it should soon be downloaded to your pad.<<<

How do I register my tablet with Android Market, if I can't open the Android Market application? Is there a way?

Thanks for the advice on 'eoe Market' and the battery situation.

Kloop

Last edited:

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
.asp is not an extension for android applications...
you need a .apk file.

you register your tablet by logging into the android market once sucessfuly.
(you will be asked for a gmail adress and password, then you have to agree to terms of use...)
If you cant use the market even on other WLAN connections you might have to clear the market cache
'Settings' -> 'Applications' -> 'Manage applications'? -> 'Market' -> 'clear Cache'

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
.asp is not an extension for android applications...
you need a .apk file.'

you register your tablet by logging into the android market once sucessfuly.
(you will be asked for a gmail adress and password, then you have to agree to terms of use...)
If you cant use the market even on other WLAN connections you might have to clear the market cache
'Settings' -> 'Applications' -> 'Manage applications'? -> 'Market' -> 'clear Cache

Sorry - I meant ".apk", not ".asp".

Thanks - I'll try clearing the Market cache if I can't open Market next time I get a chance to go online.

I've ordered a wireless router so I can hopefully soon get online at home. My nearest public wifi is miles away. Meanwhile, I've been trying to turn my PC into a wireless access point, using a wireless dongle, but haven't succeeded, even after fiddling with Win7 control panel. Does anyone know how to do this? I guess it's possible since a wireless dongle can transmit and recieve.

Can anyone tell me why the AdobeReader.apk file I downloaded via my PC onto my tablet's SD card is not visible within the tablet's file manager? If AdobeReader.apk was visible within the tablet's file manager, I'd be able to launch Adobe Reader on my tablet, by clicking on the file, yes?

Thanks again,

kloop

Last edited:

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Ah, ok. =)
since you repeated it twice i thought you might have a faulty download (some download pages use .asp and some download manager make misstakes with them)

My guess would be that you are looking in the wrong place?
There is the SD card and the internal storage on the NAND that has nearly the same file structure.

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
Ah, ok. =)
since you repeated it twice i thought you might have a faulty download (some download pages use .asp and some download manager make misstakes with them)

My guess would be that you are looking in the wrong place?
There is the SD card and the internal storage on the NAND that has nearly the same file structure.

Ah yes! Thank you!! What seems to be happening is that when I connect the pad to my PC via USB, my Win7 file manager makes the pad the "G" drive. However, that G drive turns out to be the Nand memory of the pad - not the SD card as I had assumed. My Win7 file manager can't see the SD card inserted in the pad at all, for some reason.

What I had done, inadvertently, was download AdobeReader.apk onto my pad's nand memory, thinking it was the SD card. When I realised this (thanks to your suggestion), I was able to find the AdobeReader.apk and install the application. Now I have Adobe Reader working on my pad, and I am VERY happy about that! Thanks a million!

I must try and familiarise myself better with Android's various pulldown menus and the file system. I wonder why my PC can't see the SD card in my pad. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

kloop

Last edited:

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
on the M701 you cant access any of the drives right when you plug in the USB cable
to do so you have to bull downthe task manager (tap and hild on the clock and pull down)
and then mount the drives (while they are mounted to usb they cant be accessed on the pad)

android is quite different to other operating systems and there are still more differences on each device.
I hope you manage to access the market!

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
on the M701 you cant access any of the drives right when you plug in the USB cable
to do so you have to bull downthe task manager (tap and hild on the clock and pull down)
and then mount the drives (while they are mounted to usb they cant be accessed on the pad)

android is quite different to other operating systems and there are still more differences on each device.
I hope you manage to access the market!

Got it now! Thanks.. Is it worth upgrading from Android 2.1 to 2.2? My tablet is supposed to be capable of that, but is it a difficult process? Or is it much the same as installing an applet?

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Great that you found it =)
And no, it is not worth it.
Official 2.2 is quite unstable, you will loose MArket and all google apps, there is no recovery and no softbuttons in the status bar.
keep 2.1 ;)