Problems with WiFi and Netflix

colnago

May 18, 2011
Last night, I was trying to run Netflix on my 7024. I've had problems in the past with Netflix; every time I start it, my WiFi connection goes out. But last night, my wife's and my son's laptops also lost their connection. I had to cycle power on the wireless router to bring everyone back up again. And as soon as I started Netflix on the Coby, everyone lost their connection again.

My router is a Linksys E-2000, and I'm using WEP encryption. The Coby uses a dynamic IP address. Would I have any better luck if I gave it a static IP? Is there something else going on that would cause it to "bring down" the router? Any pointers? Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks!

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
It sounds pretty clear that when you are connected with the Coby and run the Netflix app that your router locks up. I don't think DHCP is the issue. I would first check to see if there is a firmware update for your router. Next I would uninstall the Netflix app and re-install it to see if it has the same result. You might also try uninstalling the current version of the Netflix app and search the web for an earlier version and install via apk. Lastly, temporarily disable your routers firewall just to test and see if the result is the same...if so, something in your routers firewall doesn't like the netflix app but somehow causes it to lockup, maybe a rule or something. Don't forget to turn your firewall back on!!! If the problem goes away with the firewall off, try turning on your firewall rules one-by-one to see which one causes the problem. You may have to wait for a newer version of the netflix app, wait for a router firmware update or use a different wireless router altogether.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
Might try lookin to see how many devices can hook up to your router. I have the cheap frys n router and it can only handle 4. When 2 comps 2 androids and a wii connected (5) it locked and i had to reset like you. Only did it when all 5 where in use.

colnago

May 18, 2011
I haven't had the chance to turn off the firewall yet. Unexpected school plans with my kids. I'll check into it this weekend.

Where do I find out how many devices the router can handle? I looked on the Linksys site, and it didn't say anything. This is a four-port router, and I have an eight-port switch plugged into it. All told, I think I have eight devices plugged into it (TV, Blu-Ray, XBox, etc), and then I have two laptops, a Coby, and a Nook Color that hook up wirelessly. Not all of these are powered up and talking at the same time, though.

Hey, remember when the "in" thing was to have all of your appliances hooked up to your home network? I guess people would want or need to change the temperature of their fridge in the middle of the afternoon, so manufacturers were beginning to think we needed to access our appliances remotely. Thankfully, that idea never saw a market. (sorry, I think I just hijacked my own thread!)

Apr 13, 2011
Not sure where you would check. Fry's product description had it listed as 4 devices max on their website. Might try unplugin a few and testing if you can't find out how many. Also I read another post where people had a similar issue. Something about the netflix apk wasn't up to date. If your getting an error message saying you need to update look in the netflix post on main coby 2 page. Other than that I don't know. Still learning this stuff lol.:cool:

edit: Says max 10 devices on guest network from some random forum. Apparently it has a primary and guest network. Didn't say how many can connect to primary. Sounds like you should be good with the 8. So I don't know from there unless netflix is out of date. Sorry bud.

Last edited:

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
Strange. I've never heard of a router that limits the connections so few. I mean, physical ports is one thing, 8 ports=8 "wired" devices, 16 ports=16 "wired" devices, etc., but this is wireless and they should be able to connect as many devices as the subnet allows, i.e 253+router. Even with physically "wired" Ethernet connections they could install another switch and branch even further, it's just a matter of programming the dhcp range , i.e. 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254 where the router is 192.168.0.1.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the Netflix app. If you find your router cannot support more than 4 connections, then the other devices connected to it should also lose their connection when just your Coby is connected, not when just running the NF app...alternatively meaning, if running the NF app is what finally does the network in...there is an issue with the app (when running or launched on your Coby android device) and possibly YOUR network router/switch combo. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

colnago

May 18, 2011
Yes, it does, and no, it doesn't. I understand what you're saying (and I agree), but I still don't know why it would disconnect. Last night, the only device I had powered up was the Coby, so I'm not running into any limits, wired or wireless. As soon as I started Netflix, my connection was killed.

Still poking into it, but right now I think it's more a Coby-vs-Linksys issue, and not Netflix-vs-Linksys. Keep the suggestions coming...

Sent from my MID7024 using Android Tablet Forum

Cozz

May 30, 2011
The oddest thing happened last night. The Wifi shut down from my Westell when I tried a video stream of a website. I had to restart the router to make the WiFi to work again. I have Netflix but I haven't used in in a while.

It only happened once and I'm always streaming but this time I was outside and the signal was fair at best.

colnago

May 18, 2011
I'm also wondering if it has to do with the signal strength. Even though I'm only 10' away from my router, it's behind my TV equipment, and my signal strength on the Coby usually shows two bars. Right now, I'm thinking that this is fine for just cruising the 'net, but when I start large-bandwitdh streaming, the wireless link can't keep up and it kills the router. Thanks for confirming that it's not just me; I'm not losing my mind!