PROJECT: Reviving a Hard Bricked Kyros

Incaico

Jul 6, 2011
OK, bricked again, trying Arlic's method but it's stuck on "updating bootloader"

MID 7024 using CFW-7024-v2

What am I missing?

Edit - Used the 2G InternalMemory off the CFW-7024-V2. Went back to the original and seems to be working...

Last edited:

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
HOW TO UN-BRICK A "HARD"-BRICKED Coby MID8024.
Yes, I did it. I un-bricked my Coby 8024. While installing the gingerbread ROM "C8lean 1.1 meshed.rar" by "elemist2" I "hard" bricked my Coby. A "hard" brick is not the regular recovery mode(pressing power button and HOME/SILVER button at the same time) that the Coby uses to install new roms. It is a state that the Coby goes into when the NAND becomes corrupted for some reason. When this happens the Coby appears dead to the outside world, even to the USB and HDMI ports. The NAND appears to have only one purpose and that is to hold the bootloader, see the thread "Creating a proper system layout" by "fonix232" at SlateDroid for more information. BORING!!!! Ok, onward.

Anyway, you can unbrick a mid8024(maybe 7024) with very little work, but you have to open your Coby for this to work. This method is only for a "Hard" bricked Coby8024(7024). If, you have a regular "soft" bricked Coby first try the regular method before attempting this one.
Also, I didn't do this first, "vinylb" at SlateDroid did it back in February. Look for the thread "How to unbrick your Coby MID7015". I used a slightly different approach.
You will need the following:
1)VERY----VERY small screwdriver or metal probe.
2)The original Coby ROM. Once you get the thing working you can always throw another ROM on it.
3)MicroSD card, just big enough to dump the ROM.
4)A opened Coby .
The Fun Part.
1)I used a 8G microSD card that was partitioned with the file "u-boot-SD.bin.mid703v3.mm". I won't bore you with the details because if you are reading this article you have exhausted all other options.
Just put the original Coby ROM into the FAT32 partition. Put the microSD card into the Coby external slot. SIMPLE!! HARD PART COMING UP!!
2)Ok, if you don't know where your NAND is stop reading now and go find out. With the Coby open and the microSD card in the regular external slot you have to take that VERY small screwdriver and stick it between pins 7 & 8 of the NAND chip. You just have to short pins 7 & 8,how you do it is up to you. Simple. :)
3)With pins 7 & 8 shorted you now just do a regular plain-Jane recovery mode procedure. Simple.
I just shorted pins 7 & 8 on the NAND chip and did power button and home button at the same time.
The Coby screen turned bright white(all white) and I just let go of the power button and something "wonderful" happened. The Coby stayed on!! Yes, after 3 weeks of turning off whenever the power button was released it "stayed on". Yes, "something wonderful" happened.
I held the screwdriver against pins 7 & 8 until the Coby turned off by it self, which was about 4 minutes....give or take.
I flipped over the Coby, remember its still in 2 pieces, and pressed the power button, and .....and....
Saw "COBY". YEPPIE!

WARNING!!! I tried over 20 different recovery methods from over 4 different forums before I tried this. The Coby never gave me any sign through screen, USB, or HDMI. Just soft menu buttons lighting up with the power button press. It was DEAD! I didn't have any other options. Nothing else worked. I had nothing to lose. If, you have any questions just ask before attempting this method.

Any comments, suggestions, money, gifts, or whatever can be just posted to this thread.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article.
Bye...
Arlic

Arlic,

One doubt.

When you shorted the 7&8 pins was there an audible hisss sound coming from the NAND chip (or around it somewhere)? Was it audible during the full procedure?

I get that.

It seems my NAND is not being written either I left the screwdriver between the pins or take it out.

Thank you for any help you may provide.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
OK, bricked again, trying Arlic's method but it's stuck on "updating bootloader"

MID 7024 using CFW-7024-v2

What am I missing?

Edit - Used the 2G InternalMemory off the CFW-7024-V2. Went back to the original and seems to be working...

Sorry?

What did you do exactly?

I am stuck at the same "updating bootloader".

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Worked like a charm! I shorted the 7 & 8 pins once I had the card set up and it found the sd card and booted and installed the firmware. from there I was able to flash the official firmware and everything works like normal. Arlic, you are awesome for discovering that! now hopefully this means the tablet is pretty much unbrickable with this little work around

Three doubts:

- did you hold the screwdriver shorting the pins during all the procedure?

- where the display bright white during all the procedure?

- what firmware did you use firstly 'cos you say "booted and installed the firmware. from there I was able to flash the official firmware" which made me think that you did not use the official firmware in the first place.

schuman

Mar 14, 2011
Pessoal creio que em breve nosso tablet vai ta funcionando bunitinho novamente!! Para quem tem o MID 1024 e tava com o brick da tela preta e logo depois de ter feito o procedimento do curto nos pinos 7 e 8, e logo ele voltou a ligar porem com a tela branca eis a surpresa: O tablet de vcs esta funcionando, porem não funciona o touch e nem a imagem da tela! Dai vcs me perguntam: Como vc sabe disso?
E eu respondo: Tem uma opção em um programa chamado "droid explorer" que vc tem a possibilidade de ver a imagem da tela do seu tablet no monitor do PC. Pra quem quiser testar, o procedimento é simples!
1-Baixe o droid explorer e instala
2-Ligue o Tablet e Conecte o cabo usb dele no PC
3-Dai abra o droid explorer e clica em uma opção em que tem um bonequinho do android, aguarde carregar e bingo... Vc vai ver a imagem da tela do seu tablet! Ou seja o procedimento pra ressuscitar funcionou, porem a firware original do site da coby não é compativel com os modelos que tem a placa 1025! Agora e esperar ve se alguem consegue fazer alguma firware que funcione!
Pra comprovar olhem imagens do meu!

http://i51.tinypic.com/spekh0.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/16ge3w8.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/yfmm1.jpg

schuman

Mar 14, 2011
Staff believe that our tablet will soon ta running again! For those with the MID 1024 and was with the brick of the screen and immediately after the procedure done in the short pins 7 and 8, and then he called again but with the white screen that's the surprise: The tablet you this working, but do not touch, nor does the image of the screen! Give me ask you: How do you know? And I say: It has an option in a program called "droid explorer" you have the opportunity to see the screen image of your tablet PC monitor. For those who want to test, the procedure is simple!
1-Download and install the explorer droid
2-Connect the Tablet and it Connect the USB cable in PC
3-Dai droid open the explorer and click on an option that has a doll android, wait to load and bingo ... You will see a screenshot of your tablet! That is to resuscitate the procedure worked, but the original firware coby site is not compatible with models that have a 1025 card! Now wait and see if someone can do some firware that works! To look at pictures of my show!
http://i51.tinypic.com/spekh0.jpg http://i51.tinypic.com/16ge3w8.jpg http://i56.tinypic.com/yfmm1.jpg

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Cool, so it seems that it works for most models (7024, 8024 and 1024). I will prepare a clean tutorial and update the thread ASAP.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
i think my kyros had a 1025 board, anyone knows how can i revive it?

Think? If it's hard bricked then probably you've opened it already, right? Look at the main board, it should have "1024n" or "1025_v4" printed on it.

You can use the resurrection procedure to make it start again, but there is no working firmware for it as of now (what means it may turn on, but no video and no touchscreen). I will start a project in order to try to find more info about the boards and a complete firmware for it if users are willing to help.

Last edited:

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
Hello... I have a stock, non rooted, 1024 with a 1025_v4 board (I´ve opened it yesterday to confirm). Its dual touch and is working fine.
If there is something I can do to help in your project please tell me.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hello... I have a stock, non rooted, 1024 with a 1025_v4 board (I´ve opened it yesterday to confirm). Its dual touch and is working fine.
If there is something I can do to help in your project please tell me.

Yes, it does! Reboot and run one of these commands:

Computer with SDK/ADB connected to tablet via USB debugging:
Code:
adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt

Tablet using Terminal Emulator app:
Code:
dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

Post and link to your file here. Thanks!