proper handwriting

sj2000

Jan 11, 2012
anyone know if it is possible to do fine writing on the acer tablet. like my freinds on the god forsaken ipad and are to write notes like as if they were writing in a notebook. i have tried skitch andbmost of the free writing apps.

thanks
sj2000

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Check out Handrite Note, free on the market.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
FreeNote is quite good, lot of features, but really only a note app that sinks between devices hes ever been really useful to me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

sj2000

Jan 11, 2012
i have those, but i mean is it a limitation to the acer hardware that i cant do fine writing. is the screen not able handle fine writing like apple.

learner

Jan 28, 2012
I have also spent many hours searching for a good handwriting app,and had given up until yesterday.I came across a clip of an ultrasound pen which the developers say can be used with android,albeit for quite a sum .This pen seems to fulfill all of the requirements for proper annotation on an android tablet.The name of the pen is XO ultrasound pen (by zero).Have a look on the net for yourself and see if it meets your needs.I do not know how to obtain one as yet ,still trying to contact the company to get one!
Hope this might be of interest to you.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I had the iPad before I got my Acer. I had the same problem there too. These touch screens are not as precise as the old Palm Pilot screens. I tried a dozen or so writhing apps on the iPad and gave it up. Then I gave the MaxiPad away and got the Acer. Not because of the writing apps but because of the many other limitations. I have never had any regrets what so ever. I do not miss Apple at all. The writing apps for me are really just for jotting down a quick note. I can touch type just about as fast and that way I have spell check. Because I am a terrible smeller (ha).

czuque

Mar 3, 2012
I am betting the problem is with either the hardware or settings. I have tried a variety of apps but the problem remains the same. The tablet does not seem to respond fast enough. And characters be smoothed out or skipped. Any input from the stylus or finger seems to be "averaged". For instance a 6 or a 9 do not finish the loop. The word "will" becomes a series of little spikes even when the Ls are written slowly and purposely to be looped. I have an iPad also and am constantly comparing the two. Handwritting on the iPad is about perfect. I have even wondered if I have too much going on in the background on my A500 (Honeycomb) causing the touch screen response to be sluggish. I have killed as many apps as I can or tested as my first app after reboot. No difference... I would appreciate hearing from someone who is successfully using their Acer A500 for handwritting and hear what settings might have been used to make the machine respond well. (I know I had to turn off multitouch on the iPad to help it be better).

cz

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I have found an app that takes hand writting on the Acer nearly perfect. It is called Whiteboard Pro. Write fast or slow and I always get good results. So, it's not so much the touch screen, as I first thought, but the app that makes the difference.

ulugeyik

Apr 4, 2012
I have found an app that takes hand writting on the Acer nearly perfect. It is called Whiteboard Pro. Write fast or slow and I always get good results. So, it's not so much the touch screen, as I first thought, but the app that makes the difference.

Hard to imagine this based on what is available online. Are you able to write small notes, say on the margins of a pdf article that you are reading?

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Actually no, Whiteboard Pro is just a note taking stand alone app. If you want to mark up PDFs then the best app I have found for that is EzPFD Reader. Tons of features and great support.

pacificwing

Apr 7, 2012
The A500 needs about a 1/4 inch capacitive contact (your finger) to register a touch. This is why most styluses are think and bulky, much like your finger.

Adonit seems to have come up with a clever way around this. Check out the Adonit Jot.
Jot Classic | Adonit

Basically, a small plastic disc that fools the screen into centering the line to the pen point. This allows fine point writing.

As for taking hand notes, I mostly do annotated pdfs in repligo, so I can't comment.

Finally, some roms based on ICS stock leak have the ability to increase touchscreen sensitivity in settings. This helps somewhat.