Proscan Tablets?

Oct 10, 2011
In today's Sunday newspaper ad for Big Lots is a 8" Proscan for $120:

View Proscan Android™ 4.0<br>8" Tablet Deals at Big Lots

Looks like the same specs as the Vizio except running 4.0 but doesn't list processor speed. A visit to the Proscan site shows the company once had 12 different tablets for sale but all seem to have been pulled and no replacements. Google search finds next to nothing on this company's adventure into tablets. Has anyone ever seen one or even seen an online review of one?

deloughrige

Sep 30, 2012

Looks like the same specs as the Vizio except running 4.0 but doesn't list processor speed. A visit to the Proscan site shows the company once had 12 different tablets for sale but all seem to have been pulled and no replacements. Google search finds next to nothing on this company's adventure into tablets. Has anyone ever seen one or even seen an online review of one?

I just purchased one. Had 3 left at my Big Lots. For $120 I 'd give it a try. Seems to be built sturdy enough.
3 core 1.2ghz +super 3D gpu+1080p media processor. 512 mb ddr, 4gb nand flash to 32GB opt. 3g usb
3D gravity sensor. It has a large music format, large video format, & JPEG,BMP,GIF,PNG pict. format
My wife has a 10" Acer A500, I'm a novice to tablets, but this seems to be easy to navigate so far. I have
a long learning process to go thru. This one is good enough for me. Hope this helps.

proscansucks

Sep 30, 2012
I just bought one. I own four tablets, and this is worthless. The GetJar market does not work and crashes, and google play will not install 3.15 or any other version I found. So since you can't install software it makes it worthless. I am going to shoot it.

Oct 4, 2012
(which it no longer sells) I bought a netbook. It wasn't even worth it at a low price. It took three hours to charge and then discharged even when turned off. The manufacturer said it was designed that way. And then it froze up. Luckily this was within the return period. But I wouldn't have kept it anyway. Some netbooks use full-featured software. This was like a bad smart phone as it used mobile apps (except it lacked the ability to make calls, take pictures.)

PLAX

Oct 7, 2012

The tablet looks alright. IMO it is better to shell out a little more and get a Kindle as it is much more powerful. It is for a kid or someone not demanding it would be alright.
It is distributed by Curtis International (a Canadian Company).

Here are the specs:
http://www.curtisint.com/products/Images/SpecSheets/PLT8031.pdf

8" TFT LCD 5 POINTS CAPACITIVE SCREEN 4:3
&#61607; O.S: ANDROID 4.0
&#61607; CPU: BOXCHIP A10 1.2 GHZ, GPU: 400 MHZ
&#61607; RAM: 512MB DDR3 (this is the minimal require for ICS)
&#61607; RESOLUTION:800*600
&#61607; VIDEO FORMAT (1080P): WMV, MKV, MOV, AVI, RM/RMVB, MPEG-2/4.
&#61607; AUDIO FORMAT:MP3,WMA,3GP,AACFLAC,WAV.OGG
&#61607; SOFTWARE: SUPPORT WORD, EXCEL, PPT, PDF, MSN, SKYPE.
&#61607; GAME: 3D GAME, G-SENSOR GAME, CLASSIC GAME, TOUCH GAME.
&#61607; AUTOMATIC SCREEN ROTATION: FOUR-DIRECTION ROTATE SCREEN.
&#61607; HARD DISK: 4GB NAND FLASH
&#61607; SUPPORT EXTERNAL 3G MODULE (NOT INCLUDED)
&#61607; SUPPORT WIFI:802.11B/G/N
&#61607; SUPPORT 1.3 MP CAMERA,
&#61607; SUPPORT 1080P/ 3D VIDEO OUTPUT
&#61607; TF X 1(MAXIMUM: 32GB)
&#61607; MINI USB X 1
&#61607; HDMI X1 (no cables included for this)
&#61607; STEREO AUDIO OUT X 1
&#61607; MICROPHONE IN X 1
&#61607; RECHARGEABLE LI-POLYMER BATTERY:4400MAH/5V 2AH

Around here Big Lots has a 20% off today on everything. It is not a bad tablet at sub-100 but I still think spending a little more is a better use of the money. Again as a disposable tablet it is a great buy, some of my relatives decided to get one.

dragonle_2000

Apr 9, 2011
The tablet looks alright. IMO it is better to shell out a little more and get a Kindle as it is much more powerful. It is for a kid or someone not demanding it would be alright.
It is distributed by Curtis International (a Canadian Company).

Here are the specs:
http://www.curtisint.com/products/Images/SpecSheets/PLT8031.pdf

8" TFT LCD 5 POINTS CAPACITIVE SCREEN 4:3
&#61607; O.S: ANDROID 4.0
&#61607; CPU: BOXCHIP A10 1.2 GHZ, GPU: 400 MHZ
&#61607; RAM: 512MB DDR3 (this is the minimal require for ICS)
&#61607; RESOLUTION:800*600
&#61607; VIDEO FORMAT (1080P): WMV, MKV, MOV, AVI, RM/RMVB, MPEG-2/4.
&#61607; AUDIO FORMAT:MP3,WMA,3GP,AACFLAC,WAV.OGG
&#61607; SOFTWARE: SUPPORT WORD, EXCEL, PPT, PDF, MSN, SKYPE.
&#61607; GAME: 3D GAME, G-SENSOR GAME, CLASSIC GAME, TOUCH GAME.
&#61607; AUTOMATIC SCREEN ROTATION: FOUR-DIRECTION ROTATE SCREEN.
&#61607; HARD DISK: 4GB NAND FLASH
&#61607; SUPPORT EXTERNAL 3G MODULE (NOT INCLUDED)
&#61607; SUPPORT WIFI:802.11B/G/N
&#61607; SUPPORT 1.3 MP CAMERA,
&#61607; SUPPORT 1080P/ 3D VIDEO OUTPUT
&#61607; TF X 1(MAXIMUM: 32GB)
&#61607; MINI USB X 1
&#61607; HDMI X1 (no cables included for this)
&#61607; STEREO AUDIO OUT X 1
&#61607; MICROPHONE IN X 1
&#61607; RECHARGEABLE LI-POLYMER BATTERY:4400MAH/5V 2AH

Around here Big Lots has a 20% off today on everything. It is not a bad tablet at sub-100 but I still think spending a little more is a better use of the money. Again as a disposable tablet it is a great buy, some of my relatives decided to get one.

i bought one today with 20% off, i like it so far for what my need. but need to figure out how get a google play store to work on this tablet caused it crashing every time i try to open it.
any one know how to get it working please post it if dont i have to return it .
thanks

techristian

May 7, 2011
i bought one today with 20% off, i like it so far for what my need. but need to figure out how get a google play store to work on this tablet caused it crashing every time i try to open it.
any one know how to get it working please post it if dont i have to return it .
thanks

I also bought one for my mother yesterday. Resolution is good, but not great with an 8" large screen. Quadrant Standard rating around 1400. ARM 7 single core. Market installed and ALMOST works, but I am going to pull it out. I use CNET Mobile 1. ICS Gmail and Youtube work fine. WIFI WON'T BOOT WITH SDCARD IN ! Wifi works fine without it though. May be a DRM issue. Overall, if she doesn't want it, I'll be happy to buy it ! It took me a while to figure out which program was the file manager. I also put KOBO on it and IMPORTED some free books onto it from Gutenberg.

Looks and feels solid.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

wislady

Oct 13, 2012
A friend just purchased the tablet at Big Lots, struggling to use it. The manual offers little information....where the heck is the "enter" for entering comments, such as when on Facebook.

EdwardAlanzo

Nov 4, 2012
I just bought a ProScan 7 Inch Internet Tablet at BigLots for $69.99 and even at that price it is worthless.
The box says that it is running Android 4.0, with a 1 GHz CPU, Super 3D GPU, and 4 GByte memory.
This thing is NOT user friendly. And the instruction(???) manual is about as much help as trying to decipher Tolstoy's "War and Peace" from a Greek translation.
The instruction manual(???) doesn't really say anything, isn't written like English, and has numerous typo's and gaps. It doesn't even tell you how to set the Time or Date. Plus, the Help number is always busy, even at 2 in the morning.

I'm computer savy, (30+ years working on PC's and Unix systems), just not tablet nor Android savy So I figured this would be an inexpensive way to start. WRONG!!! This thing is going back and I'm going to spend the extra money and get a Kindle Fire. At least Google can provide Help.

steve__o

Nov 5, 2012
I purchased one of the 7" tablets from Big Lots yesterday ($69).

http://www.curtisint.com/products/Images/SpecSheets/PLT7035.pdf

Getting it set up & on the network was relatively trouble-free. It's able to browse the internet using the default browser, and does so without any apparent issues. I was able to add my account info in it as well, also without an issue.

But - when attempting to install apps - it is bizarre. Some apps - like Words with Friends - installed just fine - zippy download & installed & showing up on the app screen. Other apps - like Netflix, Gmail, Huffington Post, IMDB, BBC News, or any of the apps I have to control things like my media server, or other home devices - I'm able to get to the app in GetJar, find it & click on the Download link. However, at that point - it just sits there at 0% until I exit the GetJar application, or power down the unit.

Since we're on Time Warner cable - which will historically lock up either my router about every other day, I'm not 100% sure that the problem is all with the Proscan. Those lockups - with severe "tiling" on the TV's, dropped audio in them, as well as a dropped internet connection which refuses to release & renew - are also preventing my VOIP home phone from working.

I had purchased this with the intent of using it as a remote and a reader, mostly, with some web browsing thrown in.

However, the app store in Google doesn't appear to work, and a download from there only re-pushes it to my phone (Razr). GetJar has the apps, but only a handful of my most frequent ones will download.

Edit - the manual is about as next to useless as it could be. The info it gives is only the type of info that ought to be in a "quick start" guide. The English version is in some type of "pidgin" english that's a cross between text abbreviations & mixes past, present & future tense of instructions interchangeably. Extremely useless.

I didn't want to re-invent the wheel just to get this to work. Has anyone been able to get the GetJar app to successfully download apps? Is it select ones? Any ones? For $69, I thought it was decent - it does have decent quality Youtube playback - but if that's all it'll do......

Any thoughts, suggestions, or fixes would be appreciated...

Thanks

Steve__o

Last edited:

jspags15

Nov 5, 2012
I was considering this tablet for my wife to use on trips. Does it really have a HDMI port for video-out?

stevec1000

Nov 6, 2012
I was considering this tablet for my wife to use on trips. Does it really have a HDMI port for video-out?
No, just a headphone jack. It looks nice but seems pretty worthless since there is no way to install apps on it.

Last edited:

flubbard

Nov 6, 2012
I also purchased one of these over the weekend and had problems with GetJar...thought I might need to take it back. It turned out, however, that I was able to install the Amazon store through the APK installer (had to download the APK from amazon). Once the amazon store was installed, it actually works very well. Have installed quite a few apps through Amazon, including Netflix and all seem to work fine. I find that the screen is not quite as responsive as some other tablets, at times being a little slow to respond. All in all, good tablet for the price, at least so far.

One other note, I had to set up a new account for Amazon and make sure the one click purchase, or whatever they call the option, was enabled before you could start downloading.

Good luck
- flub

I purchased one of the 7" tablets from Big Lots yesterday ($69).

http://www.curtisint.com/products/Images/SpecSheets/PLT7035.pdf

Getting it set up & on the network was relatively trouble-free. It's able to browse the internet using the default browser, and does so without any apparent issues. I was able to add my account info in it as well, also without an issue.

But - when attempting to install apps - it is bizarre. Some apps - like Words with Friends - installed just fine - zippy download & installed & showing up on the app screen. Other apps - like Netflix, Gmail, Huffington Post, IMDB, BBC News, or any of the apps I have to control things like my media server, or other home devices - I'm able to get to the app in GetJar, find it & click on the Download link. However, at that point - it just sits there at 0% until I exit the GetJar application, or power down the unit.

Since we're on Time Warner cable - which will historically lock up either my router about every other day, I'm not 100% sure that the problem is all with the Proscan. Those lockups - with severe "tiling" on the TV's, dropped audio in them, as well as a dropped internet connection which refuses to release & renew - are also preventing my VOIP home phone from working.

I had purchased this with the intent of using it as a remote and a reader, mostly, with some web browsing thrown in.

However, the app store in Google doesn't appear to work, and a download from there only re-pushes it to my phone (Razr). GetJar has the apps, but only a handful of my most frequent ones will download.

Edit - the manual is about as next to useless as it could be. The info it gives is only the type of info that ought to be in a "quick start" guide. The English version is in some type of "pidgin" english that's a cross between text abbreviations & mixes past, present & future tense of instructions interchangeably. Extremely useless.

I didn't want to re-invent the wheel just to get this to work. Has anyone been able to get the GetJar app to successfully download apps? Is it select ones? Any ones? For $69, I thought it was decent - it does have decent quality Youtube playback - but if that's all it'll do......

Any thoughts, suggestions, or fixes would be appreciated...

Thanks

Steve__o