protecting the screen...

nsw8148

Apr 27, 2011
I was showing my buddies my tablet at the table and grabbed a fork to scratch the crap out of the screen. After the madness I wiped it off, and there were no scratches to be seen.

Gorilla glass is really tough stuff, just kinda brittle, dont drop it.

My phone has gorilla glass as well and it went through the same test.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I was showing my buddies my tablet at the table and grabbed a fork to scratch the crap out of the screen. After the madness I wiped it off, and there were no scratches to be seen.

Gorilla glass is really tough stuff, just kinda brittle, dont drop it.

My phone has gorilla glass as well and it went through the same test.

You, of course, are completely insane, but I do appreciate the acid test, not having the courage to do it myself.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

wifijohnny

Apr 27, 2012

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Been debating this too. I have it on my phone and always recommend them for phones since they are going in and out of pockets and places. I'm not sold on them for a tablet though. Especially with the gorilla glass. I will be getting a case should something fall onto it when it's laying around. I'm careful enough with my stuff I hope!

Since screen protectors are an absolute necessity on Palm PDAs, I immediately got a screen protector for my Acer, installed at Best Buy. No bubbles, it was done pretty well. The screen protector itself had some kind of defect, three prefectly parallel horizontal "lines", one pixel tall, transparent. They actually looked like perfect cracks in the glass (that was just a little horrifying!). The plastic protector was slightly "sticky", compared to the Gorilla Glass screen which was butter smooth to glide a finger on. And it was a little less responsive. It all bugged me so much, after a couple of weeks, I peeled off that screen protector, and never looked back.

Friends have played games on my tablet. They'll play something like "Cut The Rope", with long fingernails violently "clacking" on the screen (can't people understand how a "touchscreen" works?). No scracthes yet, but I try to keep the Acer to myself now. :p

samhastie

Feb 17, 2012
I purchased my protector called ArmorSuit through Amazon, and I must say... it has been amazing. Hope you've found a protector and your device is properly protected!

Ruby123

May 24, 2012
I always use screen protectors for my cell phone and A500. But mine are not any brands. I just got them from Amazon, no name. and I think they are great, cheap and very useful. couldn't imagine why someone don't want use it.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I always use screen protectors for my cell phone and A500. But mine are not any brands. I just got them from Amazon, no name. and I think they are great, cheap and very useful. couldn't imagine why someone don't want use it.
Screen sensitivity is why I don't use them. I use a ACER CASE/STAND and a soft SONIQ LEATHER case to put the ACER in - when I'm not using it. Other than that my A500 Lives in the docking station - when I'm at home.

rtruxal

Jun 21, 2012
getting some film for screen of your tablet is a really good idea, but even the scratch resistant kinds can still get scratches. honestly as someone who has gone through a million touch screen devices, i find the best way to keep your screen free from scratches is to keep it clean, use a stand, and most importantly use a stylus so youre not touching the screen all the time. also alot of people bad mouth styluses but if you get the right kind it will drastically increase the ease and accuracy with which you navigate your tablet. i dunno if we're allowed to post links to stores but i found one w/ pretty much all this stuff and they're the only ones who sell my favorite stylus so here goes. www.lynktec.com

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
getting some film for screen of your tablet is a really good idea, but even the scratch resistant kinds can still get scratches. honestly as someone who has gone through a million touch screen devices, i find the best way to keep your screen free from scratches is to keep it clean, use a stand, and most importantly use a stylus so youre not touching the screen all the time. also alot of people bad mouth styluses but if you get the right kind it will drastically increase the ease and accuracy with which you navigate your tablet.
I own four different brands of styluses. Three have tips that are too soft, with a barrel that's too hard (It's possible or likely to drag the steel part across the screen), one was like a rubber eraser and had no "touch" qualities (it didn't move the cursor). The screen protector reduced the touch sensitivity (I hate that), and was nowhere near as nice for gliding a finger, so I got rid of the screen protector. I almost always have human skin on my fingers, which doesn't damage the glass. But I've been searching for a stylus for months (hence owning four). A stylus would be great for paint Apps, and for editing Web forum text while I wait for Firefox to fix the arrow key support that they killed a few months ago.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Unfortunately I think a person is far more likely to scratch a screen with a stylus than with a finger. Still I find the stylus quite useful for some purposes,and the two I like the best so far: Pogo Sketch Pro and Caseen Vibe.
Also with Gorilla Glass I see little reason for a screen protector unless you need glare reduction.

samhastie

Feb 17, 2012
@Tom T

I think the Gorilla Glass protection is definitely strong but I use a protector for reassurance as well. I don't want any harm to come to my expensive devices. It does depend on your stance though.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
samhastie said:
@Tom T

I think the Gorilla Glass protection is definitely strong but I use a protector for reassurance as well. I don't want any harm to come to my expensive devices. It does depend on your stance though.

Believe me, I understand, I would be devastated if I damaged one of my devices.......devastated MIGHT be too strong a word.....