Protective case for A500 now available!

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I have had my case for a couple weeks and I am not as opposed to it as when I first got it. I put a 16gig microSD card in it and do not need to access it. I use USB for getting files on and off my tablet when not near one of my desktops. The smell has subsided to where is is almost unnoticeable. It is better that holding the bare tab but that is about all it has going for it.

I also own a nook color and have a b&n leather case for it that I love. The nook snaps into it and it is more of less like a thin hardbound leather book. That is what I want for my a500.

The rubberized paper case offer NO protection from bumps or drops. I have no concerns for my nook if it gets knocked off a desk or dresser if its in the case.

I paid $40 for the nook leather case and though that was on the high side of fair. Would go $60 for my a500 but $120 is out of the question.

Cen5

bonzer2u

Jan 29, 2011
I have had my case for a couple weeks and I am not as opposed to it as when I first got it. I put a 16gig microSD card in it and do not need to access it. I use USB for getting files on and off my tablet when not near one of my desktops. The smell has subsided to where is is almost unnoticeable. It is better that holding the bare tab but that is about all it has going for it.

I also own a nook color and have a b&n leather case for it that I love. The nook snaps into it and it is more of less like a thin hardbound leather book. That is what I want for my a500.

The rubberized paper case offer NO protection from bumps or drops. I have no concerns for my nook if it gets knocked off a desk or dresser if its in the case.

I paid $40 for the nook leather case and though that was on the high side of fair. Would go $60 for my a500 but $120 is out of the question.

Cen5

+1, i gotta nootered nook as well, the 40 bones i put out for the acer case works and looks better all the time................

khaiqha

May 16, 2011
Though I still want a better case, I will say that last night I spilled beer on my tablet, and not only did the case protect it, I was able to clean it just fine with a damp paper towel.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

dweebken

Jun 8, 2011
I received my Acer case today and couldn't wait to put my Acer Iconia Tab A500 in it. It fits very snugly, but was a little difficult to insert. Although the front cam hole didn't align at first, this was because the snug fit meant I had to insert the Tablet a little harder to seat it properly, then it located nicely. It has a spare hole on the front upper left bezel which doesn't have a corresponding cam or anything, so I'm wondering what that's for. All the other holes are suitable. The only thing not accessible is the MicroSD card cover, but I rarely need to access that anyway. Just wondering if the dock will fit without removing the case. Certainly the dock connector is accessible. I've ordered a charging dock from Amazon, so I guess I'll find out soon.

The case is light thin, something like neoprene I think. It's not at all heavy and bulky like the leather options on eBay would be. It also gives me good grip so the tablet doesn't slip through my fingers, like it wanted to do before. So I feel safer carrying it around. And it protects the screen when I'm transporting it in my bag.

The only two negatives are:
1) It's VERY hard to get the Tablet out of the cover. I did succeed, but it took a lot of effort. Not something you want to do regularly.
2) I can't stand the tablet in portrait orientation. I expected this problem so can't complain too much because it's working as designed and as expected. But the extra grippability when holding it by hand is a welcome compensation.

All in all I'm very happy, because of its lightness, and thin material and grippability and landscape stand. I also purchased a bluetooth keyboard from Amazon that makes typing easier. I'll report on that separately.

isaacgreycat

May 16, 2011
I've had this cover since I bought my tablet on May 16 at Staples. There was really nothing else available. It is OK for the most part but the biggest flaw is that the open side (where tablet is inserted) is on the bottom and the tablet constantly slides down so that none of the access holes stay lined up without continially pushing it back in place! For protection I got a Case Logic small (7-10 inch) nylon envelope which fits the tablet and Acer cover perfectly......and it was only $8.50 at Amazon! In just 5+ weeks there are now more choices that seem to be better options for less money. The Acer cover sure is not worth $40!

thebossman

Jun 30, 2011
I cant stand this case...it is such a cheap piece of junk. The velcro barely holds the flap closed and its wearing out after 3 weeks of use. The material has a decent feel but it's a terrible dust collector. You would think that Acer would be able to make a nice fitted case that helps the style and functionality of the tablet instead of making it look like a model wearing an oversized raincoat. Shame on Acer for rushing out a poorly designed accessory for a very nice tablet. Too bad we've all been stuck having only one option......so far.