Protective Case

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
The case that came stock with my Acer is crap, so I'm looking for a portfolio style case, preferably with a stylus holder. I was wondering if anyone has seen/ has a good quality case, and could provide a link. Thanks in advance

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Yes it can. I have the version of this rooCase that came with the stylus (I think it was just a combo deal via the seller, but till cheaper). The case does not have a space for the stylus; but the stylus has a nub that fits into the headphone jack for storage. I like them.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Can a stylus actually be used with the A500?

You can use a capacitivc stylus on any capacitive screen, but it isn't really very accurate. Some capacitive tablets, such as the HTC have a digitizer layer that kind of funtions like a Wacom would and should be more accurate.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Thanks, I'll probably get one of those, and yeah the stylus I have has a rubber tip, the only problem is it requires alot of pressure to fully work, so I use it occasionally.

kierandill

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks, I'll probably get one of those, and yeah the stylus I have has a rubber tip, the only problem is it requires alot of pressure to fully work, so I use it occasionally.

That doesn't sound like a stylus designed for a capacitive screen.
Check Amazon for the rooCase Executive Portfolio. Has stylus/pen storage among other things. Pretty bulky, but I like it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I agree with kierandill. Rubber tip is EXACTLY wrong. You want a conductive tip with a Capacitive screen. But it has to be just the right kind, because the technology is tuned to respond to a finger.

Don't rush out an buy a stylus, because this device is designed so that you can do everything without a stylus. You don't need it. Try it without a stylus for a while.

kierandill

Feb 8, 2011
I agree with kierandill. Rubber tip is EXACTLY wrong. You want a conductive tip with a Capacitive screen. But it has to be just the right kind, because the technology is tuned to respond to a finger.

Don't rush out an buy a stylus, because this device is designed so that you can do everything without a stylus. You don't need it. Try it without a stylus for a while.

Yeah, I have a Pogo stylus I bought for my iPad a year ago and tried it out on the Acer last night. Works great, but I would point out I never found a need for the stylus on my iPad, either.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think the rubber may be kind of a soft cover to protect the capacitive screen from scratching rather than the harder more plastic like tip of a resistive stylus.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
I have a PDair BX2 leather case/stand (similar to the RooCase which is less expensive). At a birthday party last week, two 10-year-olds got ahold of it and ran around taking "Zombie" photos of everyone. It was a great stress-test of the case, and it worked perfectly. Unlike the official Acer rubber sleeve case, this one's padded to withstand a slight drop.

I also have three styli. The most recent has a rather firm rubber tip, chiseled, but you have to hold it flat against the screen, and it's wider than a finger, so that's useless. Another has a very soft foam rubber tip, and when you press with any force, you're likely collapse the tip and drag the metal barrel on the glass. The best of the three is the "Pogo Sketch", which has a block of black conductive material (looks like it was ripped out of a section of foam previously storing an integrated circuit). All three are junk -- they don't feel like writing instruments. For a sketching App, or for editing tiny text on a page, a decent stylus might be handy.

Last edited:

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Wow.. little girls running around with it.. that should be an official stress test.. lol and I'll have to check out that case, thanks.