Proud owner of a "brick" seeks talented mason.

djonathang

May 19, 2011
Well,

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe I somewhere near bricking my Nook Color. I'm new enough to not be able to use the proper terminology to describe what I've done, but I'll give it a whirl.

I did root my Nook Color by accident.
I was able to successfully install CM7
I wanted to restore the NC back to original (just for fun).
In that process I seem to have run off the trail.
I've tried all day to download various pieces of software, unzipped them, installed them on the SD card, but to no avail. I can't seem to get past the "n" logo screen. And, when I attempt to format "data" with CMR in preparation for an installation of a new "system" like CM7, I get the following message Error formatting /data!

Can someone get me out of this. I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

David

jtrosky

May 21, 2011
The way I understand it, you can always "reflash" your Nook Color using an SDCard (it's almost impossible to "brick" a Nook Color unless you are having a hardware failure).

If I were you, I'd start from scratch and rebuild your SDCard from scratch - if it's built correctly, the Nook will boot from it.... Sounds like something it wrong with the SD Card for whatever reason....

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

djonathang

May 19, 2011
jtrosky,

Is it possible that the mere inability to "format the data" with the CMR enough to make everything else fail? For some reason, I can format the system, and the cache in preparation for reflashing, but data will not.

Thanks.

David

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
PC oc Mac? Macs automatically unzip folders when you download and this has caused issues in the past.
Just askin, ;-)

Start here with a Clockwork Recovery SD. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html see if you can boot into that. If so copy the stock Nook Color Rom, ask Google, and lash that using the instructions in the Clockwork post.

Sorry I am out the door atm, but hang in there and someone will be around to help. I am going to call in a Nook Ninja who most certainly will be able to help.

Nooks are practically unbrickable, so sit tight...

LS

djonathang

May 19, 2011
LocalStain,

Thanks. If you get me through this, I'll do what I can to get you moved up on the list to sainthood!

Working it. Let us pray.

David

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
David, it looks like you are now on the right track let's make sure we understand where you are. According to your original post you can't get data to format when trying to restore back to the original Nook. Now you are stuck at the "n" when booting.

As LocalStain asked, are you on a PC or a Mac? It is assumed unless you state otherwise that you are on a PC. Given that you have already flashed to CM7 at least once I will assume you are not having Mac related zip issues even if you are using a Mac since you were successful previously.

Read the first post in this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html. It details how to restore your Nook.

If you have any questions after reading feel free to ask. If you have any issues walking through these steps let us know.

JP

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
David, it looks like you are now on the right track let's make sure we understand where you are. According to your original post you can't get data to format when trying to restore back to the original Nook. Now you are stuck at the "n" when booting.

As LocalStain asked, are you on a PC or a Mac? It is assumed unless you state otherwise that you are on a PC. Given that you have already flashed to CM7 at least once I will assume you are not having Mac related zip issues even if you are using a Mac since you were successful previously.

Read the first post in this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html. It details how to restore your Nook.

If you have any questions after reading feel free to ask. If you have any issues walking through these steps let us know.

JP
I present you with the aforementioned Nook Ninja...

tumblr_lex3s2CgQN1qe0eclo1_r9_500.gif

Thanks for answering the call J5, I am home for the day and here to help if need be but your skills are of a much higher order than mine, ;->.

Cheers

LS

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
LS don't be so modest. I think this one is just going to be a matter of following the correct restore procedure outlined in Darmeen's thread. If the data still won't wipe via the CWR method then trying the 8 boots method should work. We'll take it one step at a time but I am pretty sure you have been down this road before nad have some good experience to offer ;) You might just need to get your Nook thinking cap back on.

JP

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
:rolleyes:Thanks for the vote of confidence:rolleyes:!

I have been busy IRL but my Nook is with me almost all the time. Last couple of CM7 updates got a little flaky but seems to be smooth sailing now.

:confused:Whats the word Dave, any luck yet?:confused:

djonathang

May 19, 2011
Hello J5150P,

Thanks for helping out. I'm following along with the instructions on the link you provided. I am able to format the system, but the formatting of the data results in the following message: Error formatting /data!

I believe this is important, but I can't seem to get past it.

And...when I follow the instructions and reboot, I am taken to the "n" symbol on the screen, but it moves no further toward the stock B&N Nook interface.

Thoughts?

David

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, so after you got the error on formatting data what did you do next? If you try and reboot at this point you will get an error. YOu need to put something back on to the Nook to boot. Your next step should be to flash the zip file for whatever your are trying to install stock, CM7, UD you can even flash a backup at this point if you have one.

Basic Steps are:
1. Boot into CWR.
2. Wipe cache partition.
3. Wipe dalvik cache.
4. Format System.
5. Format Data.
6. Flash zip file.
7. Unmount SD card.
8. Reboot.

Now it is not clear what you are doing after you try and format data unsuccessfully. If you are following all of these steps and still getting stuck at the n then we will try the 8 reboots method.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Point of interest...I am able to install CM7. Just can't get it back to stock. Hmm.

DG

So it sounds like you are flashing as the next step which works for CM7 but not the stock ROM. Which stock ROM are you using (1.0.1, 1.1, 1.2)? Are you sure you got a good download of the zip file (have you checked the MD5 sum)?

djonathang

May 19, 2011
J5150P,

First, to answer a past question. I am using a PC, and not a Mac.

After I get the error with formatting, I pull an "osterich" maneuver, stick my head in the sand and forge ahead. It worked for CM7, but not stock.

Yes, I am able to flashing CM7 even after the error message for formatting data. I can't however flash the stock ROM. I have attempted 1.0.1 and 1.0.1 - Those are the only ones. I have no reason to believe the zip file is the problem. And, I must say that I do not know what MD5 means. I'll wait for more wisdom, and will read up on the 8 reboots in the meantime.

Thank you.

David