Proud owner of a "brick" seeks talented mason.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
David, here is the info for the 8 reboots Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs and a MD5 sum is a way of making sure a file downloaded correctly . Before you try that let's try a shortcut. We will assume that the file downloaded correctly and we will assume that by wiping system and data (even with the error) that the 8 reboots was accomplished (8 reboots wipes system). The next part of the process (Edit* make sure you follow the steps of flashing the stock zip file and proceeding to the reboot step but power down instead by holding power until it turns off) form the Nook devs link is to:

After re-imaging /system in step one, you need to perform a SECOND process to clear /data.
Method 1: Hardware Key Combination

1. With the NOOKcolor powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the NOOKcolor powers on. Tip: It may be best to hold both keys for a few seconds and release them just before the Welcome to the future of reading message disappears.
  2. You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog. Press POWER key to Exit Press HOME key to continue
  3. Press n button (home).
  4. You will be prompted to confirm. Press POWER key to Exit Press HOME key to continue
  5. Press n button (home).
  6. A Clearing Data dialog will show. NOOKcolor will reboot automatically once complete.

Last edited:

djonathang

May 19, 2011
Something is happening! The screen reads, "Installing - A new software update is being installed. This will take a few minutes."

Will do.

Fun!

djonathang

May 19, 2011
It all worked. I'm back to stock. Absolutely and totally awesome!!!!!! I am forever amazed by the small town connection on the World Wide Web. I'm giddy like a child opening gifts at the holidays.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

David

Last edited:

djonathang

May 19, 2011
You better believe it. I'm already off to the races in exploring ROMS. This time however, I have made a backup of the stock so I can avoid the last 24 hours.

Thank you for hanging with me on this. I am much obliged.

David

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am glad to have been of service. Have fun playing with the ROMs now that you have your backup and knowing that short of a hardware failure the Nook is pretty unbrickable :D

JP

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
tumblr_ligqu6krzj1qe0eclo1_r13_500.gif

So did it work?

;)

:DL o L o L o L:D

David might I suggest learning your way around Rom Manager, ClockworkMod, and Titanium Backup. It will save you a whole lot 'o headaches.

Incidentally the latest CM7 nightlies are the 2.6.32 kernal. Snappy, sassy and proud.

:eek:Just Sayin':eek:

Welcome back!

djonathang

May 19, 2011
I shall.

Just a final note (ha ha), after everything, when I attempt to load other ROMs, I still get the error message on formatting data. Curious. Things like that really stick in my craw.

David

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, I haven't had a chance to go back and verify but my recollection is that is a an known issue but you just keep going. There are one or two things in CWR that work like that.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I shall.

Just a final note (ha ha), after everything, when I attempt to load other ROMs, I still get the error message on formatting data. Curious. Things like that really stick in my craw.

David
I believe it is an ext3/ext4 formatting issue possibly related to the new 1gb Stock Nook Color partitioning. I am just spit balling here because I don't know much outside of CM7 but seems to me that may be the culprit.

For now don't format data. I really don't think there is much to worry about unless you are flashing one of the newer kernals, which is unlikely outside of CM7 nightlies <84. The /data partition is over-written in the flashing process, as it is the step of formatting data is mostly a precaution to eliminate any old cached files/settings that has caused more headaches than it has mitigated.

At this point what have you got to lose in not formatting the /data, you already know how to recover,

Right?

LS ;->'

djonathang

May 19, 2011
I'm good. Having a ball now. Flashed the latest nightly (a first). Beautiful with one exception. I can't seem to figure out how to obtain a menu. For example, when looking at a calendar, there is no option to look at week, month, day, agenda. I'm stuck with how it opens. I imagine this is due to the beta nature of the nightly. Thoughts?

David

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I'm good. Having a ball now. Flashed the latest nightly (a first). Beautiful with one exception. I can't seem to figure out how to obtain a menu. For example, when looking at a calendar, there is no option to look at week, month, day, agenda. I'm stuck with how it opens. I imagine this is due to the beta nature of the nightly. Thoughts?

David
Have you tried the tablet tweaks under >Settings>CyanogenMod Settings>Tablet tweaks>... not sure but I think >Interface

Alternately Button Savior is/was included in the Rom it will give you soft buttons if you prefer(as I do) not to let the notification bar over-ride.

Hope this helps...