Public Library Access - A500

TEN

Dec 8, 2011
I am a new user; I just picked up my Acer A500 yesterday. I was up late last night trying to familiarize myself with it. I got stuck on how to download the App that will allow me to read books from the public library.

Each time I attempted to download via the library I was linked to Amazon.com where I was instructed to download Kindle for Androids (the other option was pdf). I downloaded and installed the App. I was then instructed to register the "Kindle" with Amazon. The registration was unsuccessful because the A500 does not have a 16 char SNID but apparently the Kindle does.
I contacted Amazon this morning, the tech had me on hold for 12 minutes. When he returned he had no idea what to tell me.

Long story short (I guess it's too late for that now) is anyone accessing the public library? If so what App are you using? Does it depend on which public library you use?

Thanx,
TEN

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi TEN,

Welcome to the board, I am glad you could join us. I think you're referring to Overdrive? I could be wrong, but I think that's what its called for participating libraries. Overdrive app. Here is a link to a article on it and this is the Overdrive site URL. I hope this helps. :)

TEN

Dec 8, 2011
Thank you so very much Pamster for the link it helped to know what App I was dealing with. I re-contacted Amazon and this time I got a knowledgeable, patient tech. We stepped thru the entire process and got the A500 registered properly with Amazon.

But the tech was informed that I could not use Overdrive to download library books. After I hung up I tried it anyway and I was able to download. But I couldn't find the book. Luckily the tech called back to say she dbl ck'd and found out it was possible.

The reason I couldn't see the book was my WIFI signal was not strong enough. I re-booted my router and there it was.

Thanks for your help, I hope this helps someone else.

TEN

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Glad to help TEN! It's great it's working for you now! Thanks for the update, I am sure anyone who searches now for this app will find this thread and hopefully it will help them too. :D

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
It is Overdrive and they have done some updating to it. You can go to Infosoup for info.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum