Putting Google Play On 7022 Seems Impossible @ This Point! All Links Broken

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
So I've have this 7022 for quite a while now. When I got it I set it up with CWM5 and CM7. CM7 at that time was unstable and I gave up before getting a good build put on. No biggie though, it's still running fine so I keep it the way it is.

Now, when I did all of that it was in an effort to get Google Market on the tablet. Once the Market was installed and running fine I never bothered with updating/upgrading anything else on it. It served my simple needs so I figured, why bother?

Well...yesterday I found an app I want to download but the Market doesn't have it and it's only available via Google Play.

Since yesterday morning I've been on a trek to try and get Play installed so I can get the app. I actually did have it running for a few minutes but when I installed the app it said that it wasn't compatible. I have no idea if this is because Play won't work with Gingerbread or if it's because of a faulty install or what.

Once it stopped working correctly I have been unable to get Play to work at all again. I thought maybe it was because I needed a newer version of Android so I've been trying to upgrade to ICS or JB. All I've been running into with this is dead ends. Evidently Coby offered an update last year that's since been taken down and no one seems to still have it to share.

Any thread I've run into where someone points out that the update to ICS is no longer available, it's the last post in the thread because no one replies offering the file.

Meh...I'm stuck and don't know where to go from here. I would like to get ICS if anyone could help out with that. Most importantly though, I really just want to get Google Play to work correctly on my 7022...I don't care at all how it happens.

Can anyone please help out with this?

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
See this thread. Follow the instructions and you'll have jellybean and latest version of google play. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ean-android-4-1-1-update-7022-root-gapps.html
Thanks so much for the suggestion. However, that was the first thread I saw earlier and decided against it because of the JB requiring more memory thing. There was just too much warning about bricking the thing if anything was done incorrectly, I didn't want to take the chance.

I ended up discovering how to get the ICS install from the CobyGermany site. It appears as though it's not available any more but they've just blocked it to American IP addresses. Was simple to get around by registering my 7022 on the German Coby site and entering through a proxy.

So...I now have ICS on it and think I might just play around with it for a while. Had a little trouble figuring out how to get it switched to English. The UI was defaulted to German, making it pretty hard to figure out where the language setting was. Of course I still don't have the Google Play shopping app, but I'll live. I really only wanted it so I could download the IRS2Go app and G-Play is the only place to get it for Android. It suddenly occurred to me that my wife and every one of my kids have either an iPod or an iPhone, so I just got the app on my son's iPod.

I may decide to go with Jelly Bean later on down the road but right now I really like the ICS setup....this is the first time I've really seen it.

Thanks again for replying...even though I decided against taking your suggestion, it's nice to have a place to come with people willing to help out.