Q88 Allwinner A13 performance improvement

Markeiboi

Mar 17, 2013
Hi guys,

I've recently acquired this tablet:
Wholesale Q88 Allwinner A13 7inch Tablet PC Capacitive Screen Android 4.0.3 512MB DDR3 4GB WIFI Camera, Free shipping, $56.93-60.61/Piece | DHgate

While I'm mostly happy with it, it can be incredibly slow and lots of apps freeze. Now, I know it's a low end device so I'm obviously not expecting amazing performance but I was wondering if there was any way I could speed it up. It's currently running 4.0.2 so I'm not sure if changing that will make any difference or not, I've looked at ROMs but I'm completely lost with what to use and how exactly to do it.

I'm fairly technical minded but a complete newbie when it comes to Android but I thought since I have it I may as well try to make it run the best it will :)

Any advice would be great :)

rampancy

Feb 21, 2013
From my experience with tablets of that calibre, there isn't much you can substantially do, short of returning it and using the money to buy tablet with better hardware.

What you can do is to be aggressive in using low memory apps with a small system footprint (Lighting Launcher, Boat Browser Lite, etc.), disable as many animations and background notifications/auto-updating features as possible, and manage your app usage habits such that you aren't doing any heavy multitasking, especially when you are installing/uninstalling apps. From what I've gathered, Allwinner's A13 simply isn't very good when it comes to multitasking or high-performance tasks; part of it is because it lacks support for RAM above 512 MB (a feature in the A10 which was cut to reduce costs). It's also because it uses the old Cortex-A8 core. The only thing it apparently is really good at is video playback.

That all being said, I use an A13-powered 7" tablet as my daily device for music, light web use, RSS feeds and eReading (not at the same time!) and it's a decent device for the task, as long as I don't expect too much of it.

I also would advise that you look up on YouTube videos on how to use rooting tools to root your tablet, assuming you can find the ROM for it. Once you know how to do that, installing custom ROMs isn't very hard.