Query about Tablets with non-removable battery

adityablaze

Feb 27, 2012
Hello Everybody,

Nowadays, a lot of newer tablets seem to come with non-removable batteries. I have two concerns about bying them:

1. If not anything else, the battery is definitely going to die sooner or later... perhaps shortly after warranty expires. Then what do we do? It is likely that the manufacturer will not even support the device by then since they are so busy releasing newer tablets with different form factors and all.

2. I heard somewhere that if I don't intend to use a laptop for some time, I should remove the battery. By the same thought pattern, I think we should also remove the battery if we don't intend to use it for some time. But for non-removable batteries, this is not an option. Won't this further reduce the longevity of the battery?
Besides, since we are expected to charge the battery regularly, even if we don't intend to use them regularly. This unnecessary charge-discharge cycles... won't they unnecessarily reduce the lifespan of the tablet battery?

Could you please address the above concerns so that I may decide whether to avoid these tablets or not?

Thanks and regards,
Aditya

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I read a report on battery life of current technology and it is highly likely the battery will outlast the usability of the devices. This applies to higher end devices that use the latest battery tech.
Also, when storing your device for any length of time they said it should be around 50% charge and then just turn the device completely off, the battery will basically hold its charge for an extended period of time.

adityablaze

Feb 27, 2012
Thank you for your reply. Could you provide the link for the report you mentioned?

Regards,
Aditya

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The link I followed was posted here in another thread, I'll do a search for it and see if I can find it again. If you Google it you will probably get all the info you need. The real problem here is if you decide you have to have a removable battery your choice of tablets is cut down significantly. I have an older Huawei Ideos S7 that has a removable battery, and I know the Toshiba Thrive also has a removable battery.