Question about disabling programs.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Howdy Again:

Quick question and one of the simpler ones I've asked.

If I disable an application does it take it out of the memory?

or does it lay dormant in the memory?

I believe it does remove it "BUT" but I'm not 100% sure.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
It really has to be dormant, but still there taking up space. Else why would we need to have a rooted tab to get rid of bloatware.

If it work on your tab, try SD Maid ...found on Google Play. It has some excellent features dealing with any program. Not quite sure how helpful it might be for a non rooted tab, but it should remove any extra data associated with a closed program.

Be blessed. :)

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I am absolutely not an expert on this, but have an experience that I think reveals some about how this works. I went into running applications and force stopped Norton. Then I went into all to disable it. It had started back up. I disabled it and the button changed to "Enable". But the Stop button was still active, so I pressed it, got the warning about stopping system apps, and then the button disabled and memory went up a tiny bit. So it was running after being disabled. But it has not started again after stopping after disabling. So it appears you want to disable and stop in that order. Like I said, I am no expert so I have to give you the standard disclaimer - this worked for me, I hope it works for you; no other warranty is expressed or implied... ;)

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
It really has to be dormant, but still there taking up space. Else why would we need to have a rooted tab to get rid of bloatware.

If it work on your tab, try SD Maid ...found on Google Play. It has some excellent features dealing with any program. Not quite sure how helpful it might be for a non rooted tab, but it should remove any extra data associated with a closed program.

Be blessed. :)

Panda,

I think he means the system RAM where apps are running, not the flash where they are stored. We non rooted folks are stuck with all the bundled stuff on the flash.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Norton may not have been the best app to try that on, though I don't have it on my tablet. Most of the anti virus apps/programs have a certain amount of tamper protection built in. The idea is to keep rogue apps from disabling it on the fly. That doesn't necessarily invalidate your results but I thought I would point that out.

Last edited:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Panda,

I think he means the system RAM where apps are running, not the flash where they are stored. We non rooted folks are stuck with all the bundled stuff on the flash.

Yep your right as far as what i'm talking about.

I disabled all the bloat apps that were safe to except Norton's at the time because I figured it came with it and my other subscription was about done for WebRoot.
I figured I paid for it in someway so I may as well use it. :cool:

I do think it will be taken out of memory if disabled I'm just not sure until I actually do it.
Because Royal ReVolt a game I Love even after I close out stays in memory.
But once I run FMR Memory cleaner it disappears and doesn't come back until I run the game again.
Once I do this I'll have to reboot and go into Apps/Settings to check it out.

Oh and when I disabled my Apps all i did was go into All and hit disable on the program I was wanting to disable, It gave me it's warning about shutting down an app, I hit OK.... And that was it.
Like you said we unrooted users are just stuck with it being on our ROM.
But anything left there may come in handy later if we need it. ;)

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Norton may not have been the best app to try that on, though I don't have it on my tablet. Most of the anti virus apps/programs have a certain amount of tamper protection built in. The idea is to keep rogue apps from disabling it on the fly. That doesn't necessarily invalidate your results but UI thought I would point that out.

Thanks for your response.
I've been told I can just disable Norton's by others on here.
But we will soon find out...... :)