Question about recovery mode for M701-R

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
I watched the video tutorial on Merimobiles.com on flashing firmware for this device, but I've also seen where people have had issues getting them into recovery mode to make the flash. The steps following were listed in the video to be taken in "rapid succession" with the orientation of the tablet having the back button to the right and all interfaces to the right:

1. Turn on/off switch to "OFF"
2. Press and hold the left rocker at the top
3. While holding, push the on/off switch to "ON"
4. Let go of rocker and press back button
5. Let go of back button and press left rocker and back button together and hold until the setup screen shows up.

While doing this EXACTLY as shown in the video, it never goes to the alleged setup screen...any clues??? I'm running the 9/18 firmware but I was looking to try the 9/30 to see if any of my Angry Birds issues would subside...

Adversely, if anyone is running 9/30 or the latest right before the test Froyo, can you tell me how Angry Birds looks? Sounds petty that this is my only reason for trying to flash firmware, but it is a sweet game lol

rtolber

Dec 1, 2010
Matt262...I have the same M701-R that you do with firmware 9.18 (#133). I was also having trouble getting it to boot to the proper recovery mode. I tried every possible combination of buttons, but no luck. I eventually went into the settings menu and under the "About" section I found a "System Update" area and it rebooted my tablet. It stayed on the splash screen w/ an Android robot and a Triangle. Eureka, I thought, but it still wasn't recognized by FWDN. Long story short, I tried some more button presses and finally got it. I think the magic combo for this firmware level is to hold the right rocker while sliding power to on. Next, also press the left rocker simultaneously and the "apple" button. So basically you will have all buttons pressed. I didn't think you could press both rocker buttons at the same time, but you can. After about 20-30 seconds, i let go and it stayed on the Haipad "Christmas" splash screen. I connected to FWDN and presto! Good luck!!!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
if its a correctly compiled zip file then yes. its just like clock work on an android phone. I tried flashing the adhoc patch and the flash worked but the patch doesnt work on the m701r. So the recovery works fine but just that file doesnt.

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
so i have successfully flashed cyanogenmod to my m701r through the recovery i mentioned and it worked great

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
I was more referring to the haipad firmware but I figured out you can't do recovery without usb plugged in