question about the orginal operation of the NC ?

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Now I have had mine rooted within th e1st week of purchase so I can't quite remember what was on the original set up... I am considering getting one for a family member who is totally tech DUMB..... hehehe... anyway.. did it have a dedicated email button on it ?? ... I can't remeber.. as I that would be a function that would be most of interested beside the books and magazines ...

also could I set this up as a 2nd reader on my account ?? without them having to go throught the hold set up thing ???

just trying to figure out the best way to share this with them... Thanks for you input

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
No it didn't come with any email application stock (non-rooted).

It looked like this minus, ASTRO, SU, and screenshot.

10-12-13-7.png

Yes you can have multiple nooks and nookcolors on the same b&n account.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
One more question.. in your opinion would the kindle be a better option for a NON tech person ?? interest would be email, books magazine and a few games. ?? also is the 3 g really free and can you get you email on 3 g or is that only for book purchases ? the reg nook would be a consideration as well ?? I am only into m NC so am lost re the rest of them ????

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I can't answer that last one, never touched a kindle. Perhaps other can answer better. I do know some people prefer the look of e-ink over lcd, but most I've seen that had both Nook Color and Kindle (or any black and white ereader) have gotten use to or had no problem reading books and mags from a color lcd based reader. Makes sense b/c most of us are use to looking at either computer or laptop lcds anyway.

Having free 3G is attractive and if I were looking for just an ereader, I would certainly take that into consideration. There is a sticky for a $99 Nook, not sure if it is a 3G model.

Same as you, I'm only interested in the NC.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I have used Kindle. but not Nook.

I my opinion Kindle sucks in everything except when it comes to reading. The e-ink display is just awesome and it does look like real paper. It is good for just emails and browsing occasionally, but on long run, NO. My browsing experience was also bad with it. So I say,

Strictly just for reading = Kindle all the way.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
well I think I am just going to get them a color nook.. as I don't think ...I will be satisfied if I don't.... perhaps I will just hold it until the 2.2 update and give it to them all updated.... with a load of books on it... and I think I am just going to add them to my account and forget it.. we can share books that way as well... and I am going to set them up with a gmail address so they can get their own emails from the bookmarked email site.. ..
. anything else you can think I can add to it to make t work as easily as possible.. It wouldn't be an issue except they are 1200 miles away from me.. so can't just pop over and "FIX IT"...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think you have all the bases covered. In stock trim the Nook Color isn't very complicated. It might become a little more so after a B&N 2.2 update, but as a reader and web browser the stock function is very inuitive for non-techies.