[Question] Haipad M701-R has some problem.

toyen

Nov 6, 2010
hi everybody,

i have some question with haipad M701-R

since i bought about a week ago i use in original firmware that come with it (09-19 MID 1.1 ) it can use camera and video recorder perfectly same this video

and can see nand memory about 265 M while official site tell me 2G

other than it can see free memory (ram) about 75 M with don't have application in process

But...

i update M701's firmware 09-30 MID 1.2 it can't use remote control ( i knew ) but it can see nand memory about 1.3G (it's wonderful) and free memory about 50 M moreover camera and video recorder it not good ,all photos and video are blur and system slowly.

Make Me must.....

Back to original firmware (09-19 MID 1.1). all same first when i bought it. but camera and video recorder are not good. photos and video are blur same in firmware 09-30 MID 1.2

My Question...

1. Can i run in original firmware and make system see nand memory about 1.3 G same firmware 09-30 MID 1.2 ?
  2. Can i run in original firmware and make system see Free memory (ram) about 75M same firmware 09-30 MID 1.2 ?
  3. How i must to do for back to good quality camera same since i bought ?

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
It seems a lot of Android builds don't report the hardware correctly, or at least not how you'd think they do.

When I run the Android System Info app on my Haipad M701-R it reports my internal memory (aka "storage") as 291 MB, but when I mount the internal memory to my desktop computer it shows it as 1.43 GB. ASI also shows my tablet RAM as 143 MB (with 30 - 75 MB free, depending on what apps are running), even though the tablet has 256 MB of physical memory. So what the heck is going on here?

I've got no answers regarding the discrepancy between what my tablet say the internal storage is and what my desktop says it is. However, if I open Terminal Emulator and type:

Code:
# df

It reports my /nand as 1.35 GB, which is a lot closer to what my desktop says. So I've no clue where it's getting that other number in ASI.

As for the smaller amount of RAM being reported, you can get more detail by typing into your Terminal:

#cat /proc/meminfo

"MemTotal" is always going to show less than the physical RAM because - much like a desktop computer with built-in audio/video that "shares" memory - some of the physical RAM is being shared by the wifi radio, DMA buffers, etc. and therefore is not available. This is one of those things device manufacturers really don't want you to know - that the amount of RAM they say is NOT the amount available to you as a user, but available to the device, and a huge chunk of that is spoken for by the hardware.

"MemFree" tells you how much of the remaining "total" memory is not being used for anything. This is typically an even smaller amount because every app/service that is running will be eating up available memory - depending on what you're running this number will vary. Even on a device that's sold as having 512 MB of RAM you may only see 30 MB (or less) free while running your typical apps and services!

"Cached" is typically going to be around 20 MB of memory.

"SwapCached" will ALWAYS read zero on an Android device. It's only there for legacy reasons as Android doesn't really use it apparently. I've heard that Android is actually pretty stupid about how it uses memory by making no distinction between physical (faster) and virtual (slower) memory.

If the camera quality changes drastically from one firmware to another, clearly it's an issue with that firmware build that will need to be fixed in a future update. Or you downgrade to the firmware that worked properly to get your camera working and don't worry about the amount of memory/storage being reported. As I noted, the system info app on the tablet says my /nand storage is 291 MB, but running "df" in the Terminal shows 1.35 GB. When you add ALL of the other internal storage space reported by the "df" command mine totals 1.9 GB - which is the "2 GB" of storage I was promised. Again, what the manufacturers don't tell you is that is the total storage on the device and NOT what is actually available to you as a user.

shan4djfun

Sep 4, 2010
It seems a lot of Android builds don't report the hardware correctly, or at least not how you'd think they do.

When I run the Android System Info app on my Haipad M701-R it reports my internal memory (aka "storage") as 291 MB, but when I mount the internal memory to my desktop computer it shows it as 1.43 GB. ASI also shows my tablet RAM as 143 MB (with 30 - 75 MB free, depending on what apps are running), even though the tablet has 256 MB of physical memory. So what the heck is going on here?

I've got no answers regarding the discrepancy between what my tablet say the internal storage is and what my desktop says it is. However, if I open Terminal Emulator and type:

Code:
# df

It reports my /nand as 1.35 GB, which is a lot closer to what my desktop says. So I've no clue where it's getting that other number in ASI.

As for the smaller amount of RAM being reported, you can get more detail by typing into your Terminal:

#cat /proc/meminfo

"MemTotal" is always going to show less than the physical RAM because - much like a desktop computer with built-in audio/video that "shares" memory - some of the physical RAM is being shared by the wifi radio, DMA buffers, etc. and therefore is not available. This is one of those things device manufacturers really don't want you to know - that the amount of RAM they say is NOT the amount available to you as a user, but available to the device, and a huge chunk of that is spoken for by the hardware.

"MemFree" tells you how much of the remaining "total" memory is not being used for anything. This is typically an even smaller amount because every app/service that is running will be eating up available memory - depending on what you're running this number will vary. Even on a device that's sold as having 512 MB of RAM you may only see 30 MB (or less) free while running your typical apps and services!

"Cached" is typically going to be around 20 MB of memory.

"SwapCached" will ALWAYS read zero on an Android device. It's only there for legacy reasons as Android doesn't really use it apparently. I've heard that Android is actually pretty stupid about how it uses memory by making no distinction between physical (faster) and virtual (slower) memory.

If the camera quality changes drastically from one firmware to another, clearly it's an issue with that firmware build that will need to be fixed in a future update. Or you downgrade to the firmware that worked properly to get your camera working and don't worry about the amount of memory/storage being reported. As I noted, the system info app on the tablet says my /nand storage is 291 MB, but running "df" in the Terminal shows 1.35 GB. When you add ALL of the other internal storage space reported by the "df" command mine totals 1.9 GB - which is the "2 GB" of storage I was promised. Again, what the manufacturers don't tell you is that is the total storage on the device and NOT what is actually available to you as a user.

check ur private messages offWorld

toyen

Nov 6, 2010
Thanks a lot , offWorld

i have a little questions,

i'm ok about ram, and internal storage

but camera quality. can't it resolve until factory firmware is publish ? or have another command for fixed this.
because if i downgrade to old factory firmware (#121 MID 1.1) it should be have good quality but it is not.

lasted, about battery life, it ok when i playing continually about 3-4.5 hr. but in sleep mode it eating a power anytime can standby about 5-6 hr. and power off by itself.
before i go to sleep mode i was killed all app in process. can i fix this issue ?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I don't know what to tell you about the camera. The quality on mine looked awful from day one. I assumed it was just a cheap, bad camera. Now I'm interested to know that the camera is actually capable of better quality so I wonder what is going on as well. Hmmmm.

These tablets are only supposed to have a 1600 mAh battery in them (and, unless you pry it open you don't know for sure). That means it could power a 100 milliamp device for 16 hours, or a 200 milliamp device for 8 hours, or a 400 milliamp device for 4 hours. . .and so on. I've no idea how many milliamps the tablet consumes either when turned on or in standby, but a 1600 mAh battery isn't all that big for one of these tablets.

That said, there are some battery saving tricks I learned when I had an Augen Gentouch that seemed to work. Number one was to put the tablet in "Airplane Mode" and leave it there. Another is to turn off "phantom radios" like GPS. Apparently, even though a tablet may not have a cellular or GPS radio it can somehow drain the battery (I'm unclear on how that's possible, but even if it isn't you don't need those features enabled on the tablet because the hardware isn't actually present anyway). Also, using the camera drains the battery on my tablet really quickly, but if it's taking awful pictures you probably won't be using it. Your wi-fi connection should stop when it goes to sleep, but if you're doing anything on the tablet that doesn't require a network connection you can increase battery time by turning off the wi-fi as well. If you have any devices plugged into the USB port those will also help drain the battery because they'll be powered by the tablet. Lastly, the LCD backlight is a major energy drain - maybe the biggest one of all - so go into the brightness settings and turn it down as low as you can stand to look at.

toyen

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know what to tell you about the camera. The quality on mine looked awful from day one. I assumed it was just a cheap, bad camera. Now I'm interested to know that the camera is actually capable of better quality so I wonder what is going on as well. Hmmmm.

These tablets are only supposed to have a 1600 mAh battery in them (and, unless you pry it open you don't know for sure). That means it could power a 100 milliamp device for 16 hours, or a 200 milliamp device for 8 hours, or a 400 milliamp device for 4 hours. . .and so on. I've no idea how many milliamps the tablet consumes either when turned on or in standby, but a 1600 mAh battery isn't all that big for one of these tablets.

That said, there are some battery saving tricks I learned when I had an Augen Gentouch that seemed to work. Number one was to put the tablet in "Airplane Mode" and leave it there. Another is to turn off "phantom radios" like GPS. Apparently, even though a tablet may not have a cellular or GPS radio it can somehow drain the battery (I'm unclear on how that's possible, but even if it isn't you don't need those features enabled on the tablet because the hardware isn't actually present anyway). Also, using the camera drains the battery on my tablet really quickly, but if it's taking awful pictures you probably won't be using it. Your wi-fi connection should stop when it goes to sleep, but if you're doing anything on the tablet that doesn't require a network connection you can increase battery time by turning off the wi-fi as well. If you have any devices plugged into the USB port those will also help drain the battery because they'll be powered by the tablet. Lastly, the LCD backlight is a major energy drain - maybe the biggest one of all - so go into the brightness settings and turn it down as low as you can stand to look at.

ok, your answered clearly.
thank you very much

wintermute

Sep 4, 2010
I'm intrigued about the camera too. My tablet's camera has always been crappy.

Regarding the battery, I've found that I can get much better battery life using the community Froyo beta (not from Haipad). I could go up to 8+ hours on standby as compared to 4-5 hours for the Haipad ROMs. So there's probably a software issue somewhere which could be tweaked to reduce power consumption. Or maybe Froyo is just more efficient in standby mode.

toyen

Nov 6, 2010
I'm intrigued about the camera too. My tablet's camera has always been crappy.

Regarding the battery, I've found that I can get much better battery life using the community Froyo beta (not from Haipad). I could go up to 8+ hours on standby as compared to 4-5 hours for the Haipad ROMs. So there's probably a software issue somewhere which could be tweaked to reduce power consumption. Or maybe Froyo is just more efficient in standby mode.

Hi, wintermute

i think so about battery life. when i use ebuddy app it said "you can save battery life by go to setting->advance->..(save battery life).." something like this. but i can't found this function. i think in standby mode it turn display off only but all process and other service such as bluetoothHeadset (you can see in "task killer"-> tab "services") remain run anytime.

I hope in fw froyo 2.2(official) will make better than.

ps. bluetoothHeadset service run for..................... m701 don't have bluetooth.

Waiting....... lol