Question Regarding NAND lock

mtarek93

Aug 10, 2013
In the Development Index and Root Utilitythread the following warning was mentioned:

Warning: All Coby Generation 3 tablets purchased in July, 2013 or later should not attempt to install a custom recovery, custom boot image, or custom ROM. Doing so at this time will irrecoverably brick the tablet. Coby has implemented a procedure in the firmware that locks down the nand flash in the tablets if the tablet firmware is modified in any way.

I want to know whether there is a way for me to know that my tablet could be affected by a NAND lock or not.
For example using the serial number of the tablet itself not the purchase date. I have a Coby Kyros MID8042.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
What is the date on your build.prop

Sent from my SPH-D710 Android Phone

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No that's not it, but that build number is old. You can root the tablet and make a dump without any problems.
The build.prop has a date on it when it was built.

Sent from my SPH-D710 Android Phone

abmdesign

Oct 14, 2013
Hi vampirefo,
My wife won a new Coby Kyros MID1048-8 from her office. I rooted it to get the play store, but saw Traveller1701's warning.
Opening my build.prop file, I found: "ro.build.date=Fri Dec 28 13:28:04 CST 2012"
ro.buid.date.utc=1356672484
Also, my build # is: IML74K 20121228.132733

Dec. 28 2012 is uncomfortably close to the 2013 cut off date. Do you think I am safe to load ClockworkMod & Google Apps?
Thanks in advance for your help.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi vampirefo,
My wife won a new Coby Kyros MID1048-8 from her office. I rooted it to get the play store, but saw Traveller1701's warning.
Opening my build.prop file, I found: "ro.build.date=Fri Dec 28 13:28:04 CST 2012"
ro.buid.date.utc=1356672484
Also, my build # is: IML74K 20121228.132733

Dec. 28 2012 is uncomfortably close to the 2013 cut off date. Do you think I am safe to load ClockworkMod & Google Apps?
Thanks in advance for your help.

you can do lsmod if nand.ko shows up you have nand lock.

Coby is using this type of kernel and module to lock out nand which makes tablet useless. the fix would be to add that kernel and the required modules to CWM recovery, but no one yet has uploaded a stock recovery containing nand.ko.

abmdesign

Oct 14, 2013
Thank you for the quick reply, vampirefo.
I did lsmod and the very last entry was "tcc_nand" (tcc_ndd & tcc_mtd were listed as its dependent modules in column 4). I guess that means I am unable to load
CWM recovery.
Is there a way to install the Play Store using ADB without bricking the tablet? I have been searching for an answer to this question, but I am not having much luck finding info specific to Coby & the Nand issue. Androidtablets is the only forum presently discussing it that I have found!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You should be able to use the method I posted for telechips, to get playstore.
The nand lock is a new thing added to some of Coby tablets. Some of their allwinner tablets have it, I don't know what other tablets have it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

abmdesign

Oct 14, 2013
Seem to be hitting a wall here...
I tried to install vampirefo's file: root_gapps_signed.zip, but it failed because my system/app folder is full. File Explorer will not let me delete system files because I don't have "Superuser" access. Same thing when trying to delete through adb shell.
My access to super user apps is limited because: 1. I only have access to SlideMe Market and Amazon Market, neither of which have superuser apps, system root removal apps or terminal emulators, and 2. I am limited by Nand as to what I can modify.
Has anyone found a way to delete system files on a Coby with nand lock, without using CWM or Play Store?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
How did you try to install ? Give more details on exactly how and what you did and what messages you received.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't understand how you rooted, you said you had rooted your tablet, so file explorer should be able to remove stuff. These telechips have a big system so not for sure while yours is full.