Question Regarding NAND lock

abmdesign

Oct 14, 2013
For rooting, I followed Traveller1701's instructions found in the "Development Index and Root Utility" sticky. I downloaded and used "Root and Dump Utility for Windows" to unlock. He also noted in this post, "If you choose to install the Google apps and find that the apps package does not install, it is because the tablet's /system/app directory is nearly full. Later Generation 3 tablets include more bloatware than earlier models and it is this bloatware that prevents the Google apps package from installing."
When I tried to install gapps I got the error message: E:Can't read misc (No space left on device) followed by "install failed"
so I just assumed my issue was too much bloat wear.
I know it was actually rooted correctly because I was able to run an adb shell and lsmod on the device.

For gapps, I followed vampirefo's instructions by loading the file to my internal memory in /sdcard/update.zip, then: Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now.

WAIT... I just tried to install it again so I could record the error message. It gave the error message: E:Can't read misc (No space left on device), but then proceeded to unpack and install gapps!
ES File Explorer still will not allow me to change folder permissions or delete system files.

Thank you vampirefo. for your patience and help! And thank you tpaine for joining in to help! I am looking forward to learning more about these tablets so that I can help others in the forums too.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
For rooting, I followed Traveller1701's instructions found in the "Development Index and Root Utility" sticky. I downloaded and used "Root and Dump Utility for Windows" to unlock. He also noted in this post, "If you choose to install the Google apps and find that the apps package does not install, it is because the tablet's /system/app directory is nearly full. Later Generation 3 tablets include more bloatware than earlier models and it is this bloatware that prevents the Google apps package from installing."
When I tried to install gapps I got the error message: E:Can't read misc (No space left on device) followed by "install failed"
so I just assumed my issue was too much bloat wear.
I know it was actually rooted correctly because I was able to run an adb shell and lsmod on the device.

For gapps, I followed vampirefo's instructions by loading the file to my internal memory in /sdcard/update.zip, then: Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now.

WAIT... I just tried to install it again so I could record the error message. It gave the error message: E:Can't read misc (No space left on device), but then proceeded to unpack and install gapps!
ES File Explorer still will not allow me to change folder permissions or delete system files.

Thank you vampirefo. for your patience and help! And thank you tpaine for joining in to help! I am looking forward to learning more about these tablets so that I can help others in the forums too.

Traveller1701's Root Utility isn't for telechips, unless it has been changed. Most likely you are not rooted and that would explain why file explorer can't remove files, you did set up file explorer to use root?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I haven't changed it, and the poster didn't read the sticky properly. I provide a link to root Telechips devices in the sticky, but it's not part of the root tool.

abmdesign

Oct 14, 2013
I am aware that Traveller1701's Root Utility isn't for telechips. I did read the sticky thoroughly. The sticky clearly says:
"For tablets using the Telechips CPU (7034, 7036, 7048, 8048, possibly 7030 and 7032), root your tablets using the flashable zip created by Vampirefo..."
My tablet is a 1048, which was not mentioned as a possible telechips cpu.
In fact, in another post on this forum the 1048 is listed as a 3rd gen tablet with an Allwinner CPU (I am looking to find the post again so I can site it).
After reading that my CPU was an Allwinner, then reading Traveller1701's sticky wich clearly stated: "For tablets using the Telechips CPU (7034, 7036, 7048, 8048, possibly 7030 and 7032), root your tablets using the flashable zip created by Vampirefo..." I took it for granted that my intel was correct and proceeded to use Traveller1701's root.
The 1048 CPU is in fact a Telechips. I understand that now and I am not trying to debate it, but I do not feel that I misread the sticky. Even re-reading it tonight I feel that the same conclusion would be drawn using the facts at hand. Obviously I should have dug deeper and found out for myself what the CPU was instead of inferring it from different OP's forum posts.
I am a bit confused as to how I was able to run an adb shell and lsmod on my 1048 if it wasn't rooted? Everything I read said "your device MUST be rooted for this to work" and "if this does not work, it is because your device is not rooted". Maybe it will run on an unrooted device after all?
Either way, I learned a lot from you guys, and the scripts that you wrote/assembled unlocked my device & installed gapps, which is exactly what I was looking for. So thanks again and I appreciate your work very much.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thats just the way we talk around here, don't take offense. We are all learning.

ADB shell will work on a non-rooted device. But without root certain commands will not work.

Also, it is far from certain your device has a nand lock. (i doubt it does). But you now know for certain its telechips cpu. We are all learning.

abmdesign

Oct 14, 2013
Thanks, tpaine. Not trying to be overly sensitive. I sincerely appreciate all the help. I know I certainly have A LOT to learn.
And I must say, this is the only forum I have found that addresses Coby tablets so comprehensively.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
adb shell runs on either rooted or nonrooted devices.

what is the output of

adb shell

su

You now have playstore?

postout of

adb shell

busybox df -h

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
you can do lsmod if nand.ko shows up you have nand lock.

Coby is using this type of kernel and module to lock out nand which makes tablet useless. the fix would be to add that kernel and the required modules to CWM recovery, but no one yet has uploaded a stock recovery containing nand.ko.
So am I correct in understanding that if my 8048 has the file tcc_nand.ko in the ./lib/modules/ folder it means that the tablet employs a nandllock?

Here's the build.prop info for my MID8048:
Build number: IML74K 20121122.162835
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.20121122.162835
ro.build.date=Thu Nov 22 16:29:06 CST 2012
ro.build.date.utc=1353572946