Question regarding NookColor Tools

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
I pulled up NookColor Tools and at the top it has a box with a green check mark in it below the box it reads:
For this to work, the app's apk file must be copied to/system/app. Installing this app the normal way disables this checkbox.
Could this be what is causing my problems? And what do I need to do about? Please feel free to speak to me as if I were a first grader!!!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It means the NookColor Tools .apk must be copied to/system/app. Once that's done, a check box will appear that says "Allow Non-Market Apps". Checking that box will allow you to install apps that are not from the Android Market.

gamelover42

Dec 12, 2011
It means the NookColor Tools .apk must be copied to/system/app. Once that's done, a check box will appear that says "Allow Non-Market Apps". Checking that box will allow you to install apps that are not from the Android Market.

I see this message also but when I use the file explorer app to browse to /system/app I see the nook color tools apk in there. Am I missing something?

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
If you are rooted, and you receive an OTA update, or if you nootered a version of the BN software incompatible with the nooter, this will happen.

I found that 1.3.0 would to this to me no matter how I nootered it (no matter which combination of versions of the nooter were applied or in what order they were applied in). So I stayed with 1.2.x, and despite my best attempts, received the damned OTA again...

Anywho, the 1.2.x BN software works great with the nooters out there. The 1.3.x software-not so much.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If you are rooted, and you receive an OTA update, or if you nootered a version of the BN software incompatible with the nooter, this will happen.

I found that 1.3.0 would to this to me no matter how I nootered it (no matter which combination of versions of the nooter were applied or in what order they were applied in). So I stayed with 1.2.x, and despite my best attempts, received the damned OTA again...

Anywho, the 1.2.x BN software works great with the nooters out there. The 1.3.x software-not so much.

Install ClockworkMod Recovery on EMMC to block OTAs ;)

gamelover42

Dec 12, 2011

I am using nook 1.3 so maybe that is the problem. I did eventually get the non-market apps setting fixed by using adb sqlite3 to manually update the setting. Of course once I installed amazon market, I just wanted free games :), the game I installed wouldnt run anyway... rats