Question regarding SD card issues.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
OK, I have had my 7015 for 1/2 a week and love it. Updated to 7015A, rooted and applied ClockworkMod on Friday. One thing I noticed at the time was that the SD card was very difficult to get in and out of the tablet - almost as if the slot is not lined up correctly. NOT that big of a deal, especially in a sub 150 tablet. Then I noticed that the card is not always readable when I turn the tablet on and I have to eject it and reinsert it (sometimes a couple of times).
Did not use the SD card much after that until my first attempt at laying down a new mod. I tried to get into ClockworkMod by turning on the unit with the silver orb pressed. I was greeted by the Android Recovery, not Clockwork.:confused: OK, maybe I was wrong in my assumption that is how to do Clockwork, so I went into the Terminal and used 'flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img' and 'reboot recovery'. SAME RESULTS. I did notice that the flash_image command was rather quick, so I rebooted and went into the terminal again. This time, I checked the mounts. Lo and behind, /sdcard was not mounted and I could not mount it. After ejecting and reinserting a few times, it automounted. Then the commands worked. Upgrade worked just like Tipster said it should after that. Since the upgrade, I have not noticed any issue with the SD card.
So, my question (sorry it took so long to get to it) is this. Is that a known issue with the model? If so, was it ROM based (which would mean I am golden now) or hardware? Of course, if this is not a known issue, it could be the SD card. I will be buying another to test before returning (if that is what I decide to do).

Thank you in advance!!!

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
I've read a few posts here and there about the SD cards however; most spoke more of mounting issues or app recognition (i.e. the stock music apk not seeing music on the SD card). Myself, I'm a bit on the clumsy side so I can say that I've had issues sliding the SD card in and I'd agree that the SD card slot is alligned so that you pretty much have to get the card in dead on but I don't know its an issue.

One suggestion I would make regarding Clockwork: like you described, the button pressing boot process mentioned here almost always put me into Android Recovery. Under Tipstr's HC ROM, you should find an app called QuickBoot. If you launch that app it gives you the option to reboot into recovery (2nd option down) That's the only way I bother with Clockwork anymore. One app and your rebooted in Clockwork and it has never failed me once. Hope it helps.

Sketch

Calata

May 12, 2011
I've had the same problem. I've learned that if you use your nail on your thumb to push it in below flush, it will mount and come out next time easily on the first try. Once you get the hang of it, it's a small inconvenience.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
That could be the problem, but something new (well I did not notice it before) is happening when I access the SD Card. I am getting FC message on my saves to the card. The file looks good on the card, but it is occurring frequently. I am going to buy a larger capacity SD card and experiment on inserting it better (I have short fingernails, so the insert might be the main problem), so that should rule out the card. Hopefully, all will be fine, if not, I am still in my return period.

THANKS for the advice!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Use a card reader on PC and run scan on the sdcard for errors. These do get errors in time. They need to be fixed. Don't buy any Class (2) they're just plain slow! Class (4) is good enough and buy 8GB or even better (16GB) Class (4) I use two brands: Kingston and Lexmar for 16GB Class (4). I have 3x ScanDisk 8GB Mobile Class (2) dead slow. Those are good for smartphones and GPS devices.

Apr 28, 2011
I have not necessarily had problems with mounting and un-mounting it, but it does have to be pretty spot on for it to go in properly. what my problem is, is that when i transfer something to the card, then put it into the tablet, it said card is damaged and needs to be formatted. Not a big deal the first time it did this. so i learned that using the usb cable to computer is easier that using the card itself( simpler, and doesnt wear out the card slot which may be some of your guys' problem) also, i do not have mine rooted yet so i dont have to remove it to put files on it to root it. another fix to this, and the fastest ive found, is download dropbox, make a free account (you get 2gb and opportunity for more mb which is really easy) and use it from your comp to your tablet. i downloaded tipstir's ultimate package and i found it easiest to move the files to dropbox and download from tablet than using the cord( faster and no wires) and it also saves your files you download in a folder named 'dropbox' on the SDcard. if you guys are looking for a quick file transfer method, i found the dropbox on the fastest!!!

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Driggs, as far as the problem you're having with Clockwork reverting to the original, you need to run these lines when flashing it:

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

Never mind, I see your other post where this was asked and answered. My bad. ;(

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I've had the same problem. I've learned that if you use your nail on your thumb to push it in below flush, it will mount and come out next time easily on the first try. Once you get the hang of it, it's a small inconvenience.

This! I'm not having any problems with my card ad that's exactly how I insert my microSD card. You have to be very careful though. If your nail slips it will launch the card across the room. Been there, done that! :)

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Patricia F,

You need to post your question in the correct forum. This one is for people who have a Coby Kyros 7015, not a Flytouch. I'll move your post to the correct forum for you, I'm sure they will be able to help you there. Good luck!

Last edited: