Questions About Android Tablets

Draugr

Aug 15, 2010
I'd like to ask a few questions and hopefully get them added to the FAQ and of course get answers to the questions as well.

Q: I hear it is difficult to use "Android Market Place" on a tablet as the market place does not officially support tablets, only cell phones. Is this true?

Q: When you connect to the market place the system tries to determine which cell phone model you have and then will only show apps in the market place that your device can use which can cause a lot of the available apps to not show or be available for download/purchase. Is this true?

Q: Does anyone know if the market place will support tablets soon?

Thanks
John

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@soupie2774 Not sure how to help. Beyond reflashing the firmware there's not much to do for the typical end-user

@Draugr I am probably not the best person to answer those questions, but my understanding is that the Android market is a part of the Google mobiles applications package that requires the manufacturer to be a part of the open handset alliance to use legally. The problem with tablets without the Android market is not because the market is not ready for tablet apps, since there isn't really any distinguishing of tablet or phone apps, but the tablet manufacturers not willing or not able to acquire the Google mobile applications package and the Android Market that it comes with.

When you connect to the market, it does cause some apps not to show up if you do not have a particular model. But the majority of the apps on the market have no such restrictions, whether it be an Android phone or tablet.

Tupin

Aug 16, 2010
Hi, what tablet would be best for me, I want to watch high quality videos and browse the Internet as well as using the Android Marketplace. Most of these tablets essentially require a stylus, right?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Tupin: TCC8902 based tablet is what would be best for movies. But they are just coming out, and I'm not sure if Android market is fully functional on all of them just yet. Keep an eye out for those.

ddruziak: If you have a Rockchip, chances are that you need a firmware update

Dec 31, 2010
I'd like to ask a few questions and hopefully get them added to the FAQ and of course get answers to the questions as well.

Q: I hear it is difficult to use "Android Market Place" on a tablet as the market place does not officially support tablets, only cell phones. Is this true?

Q: When you connect to the market place the system tries to determine which cell phone model you have and then will only show apps in the market place that your device can use which can cause a lot of the available apps to not show or be available for download/purchase. Is this true?

Q: Does anyone know if the market place will support tablets soon?

Thanks
John

hi,

just had my flytouch2 superpad yesterday with built in android market. its very easy to use and offers a lot of applications and games all for free..