questions about Le Pan TC 970

Mythryndir

Nov 30, 2011
Hi everyone.. I am considering a Le Pan TC 970 for my daughter.

I understand netflix will not work, but it is flash capable. My question is.. will it play flash games? She likes Club Penguin, and Secret Builders... also the Facebook flash games?

Please respond.. I need to decide quickly.

Thanks

rhitee93

Dec 7, 2011
I can't answer your question about flash games, but I just bought one for my daughter, and Netflix works fine.

antab

Dec 9, 2011
I can confirm Netflix runs great on this tablet. I have four of them and have had no problems with Netflix whatsoever. As far as flash games go, my children go to sites like www.pog.com and www.kizi.com and the games will play on this tablet, however I'm not sure touch screen control is very intuitive for many of these type of games that were designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind. I have yet to find any site running flash that the Le Pan can't handle. It even streams movies from my orb account on Orb.

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
The LePan does have full Flash support, and Flash comes pre-installed on the machine. I can't speak for specific games, as I have only played android app games on mine.

GL.

Mythryndir

Nov 30, 2011
Thank you all for the response... ordered one yesterday from Tigerdirect. Should be here by end of the week.

Lol.. I know I'll have lots of questions.. this is my first experience with a tablet of any kind, and I'll have to learn it to help my daughter enjoy all it can do.

Is there anything I need to be aware of or need to know? I'll open, inspect, and power it up after receiving as I have to make sure I do not have a dud for Christmas morning for her. I had heard from someone that the unit has to be started the first time with no sim card? Any tips would be great for initial startup, and set up.

Btw I also ordered the 32GB microSD for it as well.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
You will need to charge it overnight before you do anything with it. That is the best recommendation I can give you. Mine would not even turn on until I gave it a long charge. Some have said that their tablet had a partial charge. From there log in or sign up with a g-mail account and you are up and running.

The tablet does not use a SIM card so don't worry about that part. It comes with a 2GB micro-SD card already installed.

Have fun with it, your daughter is going to have to share it with you, trust me on this.

Mythryndir

Nov 30, 2011
Lol.... I think I'll be ordering either a Le Pan 2 for me... or try one of the Chinese tablets.. unsure.

GOOD NEWS... Tablet came today. Great experience with TigerDirect but for their weak shipping packaging (tablet bouncing around loose in box).

Please bear with me... I am a total tablet newbie.

1) Gonna power it up tonight to be sure it is not dead. How (lol) do I properly turn it off? Does it shutdown like a PC or can it be just turned off??

2) What do you use to clean the screen... understand it comes with a cleaning cloth (from looking on youtube) but do you use a cleaner? or just dry.

3) Most important of all lol... had not thought this fully out for my 12 yr old. Buying a wireless router tomorrow.. we had only one computer and were ethernet into modem before... DSL thru bellsouth. Does the Le Pan have a setting for children... ie bad stuff blocked.. or is there an app I can upload to it for this? Perhaps even the router does (have never set one up). I know the Bellsouth software disc does.. but of course that is if it is installed in a pc which it will not be in the tablet. Hoping someone knows about this.

Thanks again for all the guidance.

Last edited:

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
Lol.... I think I'll be ordering either a Le Pan 2 for me... or try one of the Chinese tablets.. unsure.

GOOD NEWS... Tablet came today. Great experience with TigerDirect but for their weak shipping packaging (tablet bouncing around loose in box).

Please bear with me... I am a total tablet newbie.

1) Gonna power it up tonight to be sure it is not dead. How (lol) do I properly turn it off? Does it shutdown like a PC or can it be just turned off??

2) What do you use to clean the screen... understand it comes with a cleaning cloth (from looking on youtube) but do you use a cleaner? or just dry.

3) Most important of all lol... had not thought this fully out for my 12 yr old. Buying a wireless router tomorrow.. we had only one computer and were ethernet into modem before... DSL thru bellsouth. Does the Le Pan have a setting for children... ie bad stuff blocked.. or is there an app I can upload to it for this? Perhaps even the router does (have never set one up). I know the Bellsouth software disc does.. but of course that is if it is installed in a pc which it will not be in the tablet. Hoping someone knows about this.

Thanks again for all the guidance.

Powering down is as easy as holding down the power button. Then another screen pops up asking you to select Silent mode or Power off....Select Power off. Then another pop up asks you to select OK to power off. Kinda gives you the "are you sure" treatment a couple of times.

As far as cleaning the screen, I use a micro-fiber cloth that is soft and really gets the fingerprints off. I do not use any cleaner on it but that is just my preference. I have not tried the one that comes with the tablet.

Sorry, I can't help with the 3rd question.... I haven't found a setting built into Android to block certain types of content, but I haven't exactly been searching for one...There will definitely be an app for it. Hopefully, someone on here has experience trying to block unsavory content.

It seems like everyone (including myself) that has ordered a Le Pan as a gift for others has "givers remorse" and ends up ordering one for themselves. We are their marketing department because other than this forum and reviews on Amazon, Tiger Direct, etc. it is hard to find info on the product.

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
When people mention kids and computers I often like to ask them "Hey, remember in that movie Knocked Up when the little girl looks up out of nowhere and just says "I googled murder" ? LOL

Thats funny. Even when they say it's not. Trust me.

ANYWAY,

It's not foolproof, by any means, and if your kid wants to see stuff, most likely they're gonna - but you can set up some level of protection. It's too bad there's not a simple, overall "Kid" button, but there's not. Honestly I don't know if there are admin rights or user profiles at all in Android systems...you probably want to check on that.

This site seems like a good place to start:
Droid Lessons

and here's a sample article from there:
How to setup parental controls on Android | Droid Lessons

There are also some Parental control apps in the market, and in the various browsers. I don't know how good they are. (the problem with the browser filters...well...the kid can just change the setting. It's pretty pointless, really. But, you could probably set up a notification to let you know if this happened...not sure, haven't tried. But if you go searching for these things, you'll find them.)

GL!

:)

Mythryndir

Nov 30, 2011
Thanks for the input guys.

Sir... excellent links will be checking them and searching.

Went to Bestbuy and one of the "geeks" told me the router will have software to setup user profiles and limits.. I'll report on that later.

LOL... as a funny story.. Got the Le Pan as I mentioned. Took it out of the box last night, hit the power button, and handed it to the wife. She unlocks it...
plays with it for about a minute... then looks up.. rather determined like.. and states loudly... I Want This!!!! Guess I'll be getting another soon. Pried it from her hands to clear and rebox for Christmas only because I promised to get a Le Pan 2 for us real soon lol.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for the input guys.

Sir... excellent links will be checking them and searching.

Went to Bestbuy and one of the "geeks" told me the router will have software to setup user profiles and limits.. I'll report on that later.

LOL... as a funny story.. Got the Le Pan as I mentioned. Took it out of the box last night, hit the power button, and handed it to the wife. She unlocks it...
plays with it for about a minute... then looks up.. rather determined like.. and states loudly... I Want This!!!! Guess I'll be getting another soon. Pried it from her hands to clear and rebox for Christmas only because I promised to get a Le Pan 2 for us real soon lol.

LOL.....Can't say we didn't warn you. They have a way of multiplying.

Mythryndir

Nov 30, 2011
New question (sorry but I did promise this is gonna happen lol)...

I have bought a 32GB card for her tablet. I was thinking the 2Gb supplied memory was internal.. but reading another thread seems it may be an existing card installed from Le Pan. Would it be better to put the 32GB in immediately before she downloads her first app?.. and just lose the 2. Does it have to be off when changing the card, and is it difficult (have not looked).. forgot to do that when I unboxed it and now is all wrapped back up.

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
changing the card is as simple as can be. You press down on the card, until it sinks down into the tablet. It clicks, which releases a spring mechanism that pops it back up to you, then just pull. Nifty little gizmo. The tablet doesn't have to be powered off, but you need to unmount the card in the settings first, and it will give you a message that "It is now safe to remove the SD card" - or it's always safe to remove when it is off. I power mine off first, just because I'm weird.

If you already have the 32G card, then I would change it right away; no use in filling the 2G first and then changing it, unless you plan to switch back and forth between the two cards, copy the info over later, or re-download things you already have.

Have fun