Questions and advice

tel

Jul 30, 2011
Hi
I'm thinking of buying the iconia, but going by some reviews the tablet has issues playing video, stuttering etc
Have Acer fixed that problem with 3.1 update ?
Also i see the speakers are on the back of the tablet, is that still ok ?
I was thinking of getting the 16GB model, is that plenty of space or would 32GB be worth the extra dollars.
Any help would be great thanks.

LeChuck

Jul 25, 2011
Mx VideoPlayer works flawless for me... in Software decoding, hardware decoder has some issues as for now, but everything plays fine with software decoding.

For the speakers, can't tell as I see movies with headphones..

HD87

May 14, 2011
I was thinking of getting the 16GB model, is that plenty of space or would 32GB be worth the extra dollars.
Worth the extra few bucks! then get a 32 GB atleast a CLASS 4 mini SD CARD & you have a total of 64GB! :D

Shell558

Jul 20, 2011
I have plenty of apps and data on my 16G and I use the micro SD, USB, and media sharing for media files. Local storage is a personal choice, but since it accepts portable storage...I figured why not use it if I can keep the apps under 16GB?

I'm gun shy regarding the OTA updates after the 3.1 issues (which is fixed now) and reports of problems with the latest US update. Not sure I trust Acer to do OTA updates...but...this is a fine device for the price. It is, after all, a toy, so spending a mint for more bells and whistles doesn't make sense for me. Happy shopping!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

jak

Jul 31, 2011
Speakers on the back has not been a problem for me. I've been running 3.1 without a hitch. I don't recall having any videos stutter.

16 gb is plenty for me, I can supplement with thumb drives.

I like my A500. To me the selling points are: a full USB port, gorilla glass, and aluminum case.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've seen video stuttering on high definition mp4 videos encoded at 1080p with 5:1 surround sound.
But that isn't the way you would normally encode for any tablet device.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Hi
I'm thinking of buying the iconia, but going by some reviews the tablet has issues playing video, stuttering etc
Have Acer fixed that problem with 3.1 update ?

I never had issues playing videos even in 3.0, so I would say that as long as you convert the video files properly, then you wont have any issues. If you need to get a 3rd party video playing app though, get BuzzPlayer. It isnt free, but worth the money 10x over.

Also i see the speakers are on the back of the tablet, is that still ok ?

The speakers are surprisingly good. Even while holding the tablet with your hands over the speakers, there is hardly any sound loss. I have watched movies while having my hand over the speakers and I can hear everything just as good as not having my hands covering them.

Any help would be great thanks.

This depends on you really. First, if you are planning to buy in a store, then the USA ONLY sells the 16GB version and I think Canada ONLY sells the 32GB version. You can buy the 32GB version online through sites like Amazon UK though. Just keep in mind that if buying in a store, what version you get depends on where you live. (A stupid marketing strategy in my opinion).

Second, it depends on how you plan you use the device and how you plan on storing data. I use my tablet mostly for entertainment on the go, as well as work and I own the 16GB model. I have 44 apps (not counting preinstalled), in which 7 are HD, and they are only taking up 818MB. I also am using 2.21GB of internal memory for pictures, and about 232MB of other files.
I keep all movies on an external hdd (1TB; needs to be FAT32 btw). I also have a 32GB external microSD card that still has 16.6GB free.
After all that, I still have 9.5GB of free internal space.
Hopefully that can give you some ideas.