Questions before 3.2 udpate

danielg5

May 3, 2011
I was notified more than a week ago that the 3.2 update was available, but I have delayed accepting it. I use my tablet to access my company vpn, which has a custom app that requires root for Android (have tried other solutions, but I need the one specific tool). So, I am hesitant to accept the OTA update before there is a valid root process. Also, before I go the custom route, I hope someone can give me some answers to these:

1. Is it possible to make a backup copy of the existing stock recovery file on my tablet before I install something like clockwork recovery?

2. Is it possible to download the OTA 3.2 update and save it without running it? I don't want to download if it just automatically installs. But I would like to have the file in hand.

I would prefer to have stock software on my tablet rather than custom ROMs and recovery files, so I want to remove any risk that I would negate my ability to accept OTA updates in the future. Thanks.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
You can download it to your computer from this link.
http://vache-android.com/files/Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2.zip
To install it you need to extract the update.zip with your computer and put it on a micro sd card.
Put the card in the A500 and boot up while holding the volume down, left side, until you see update.zip and a few other lines on the top right of your screen, then let go and it will take less than 5 minutes.
As for the other questions, the answers are on this site.
You need to do some reading of those posts.

danielg5

May 3, 2011
Thanks for your response. I had hoped that there would be a way to download the update directly from the Acer server from which it is coming, just not to install it, but rather to save it. I guess that can't be done. I assume that the file on that site is valid, but how can I be sure.

If you or anyone knows where the answer is to my first question I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction. I have been looking for about a week in this forum as well as XDA developers and about three or four others for the answer and haven't found it anywhere.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
if you check some threads on this site you will find several people who installed from that link. I read that acer update is not from their site. thay farm the updates to another company. I got my update from that link.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Daniel:
It is possible to backup your current ROM through Clockwork Mod (CWM).

Also, I downloaded and flashed this 3.2 ROM:
http://tabletroms.com/forums/iconia...66-acer-stock-3-2-rom-super-user-busybox.html
It is the stock 3.2 ROM, but rooted. You just need to use CWM to flash it and then you will have the stock Acer 3.2 (USA) update with all stock Acer apps (aka bloatware). Its works perfectly well and didn't delete any of my apps or data.

PM me if you are interested but need help flashing.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

danielg5

May 3, 2011
Hey Thanks! I am pretty comfortable flashing and modding, etc.

So, I only have a couple more questions:
If I install CWM, that wipes out the stock Acer recovery image, right?

If I use CWM to make a full backup of my current ROM, can I revert back to the stock rom (my current build is Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2), and then accept OTA updates as if I had not modded the tablet? Or will having CWM on my tab make it so I cannot accept and install OTA updates any more. I understand that replacing one file in the system (i.e. the wpa_supplicant file) makes it so that Acer updates will not install. Is that the case if I install CWM?

Thanks

spexwood

May 11, 2011
So, I only have a couple more questions:
If I install CWM, that wipes out the stock Acer recovery image, right?

If you install CWM, your ROM (which consists of your kernal, OS, and apps) will NOT be affected. You can only access CWM during bootup and it is only used to install ROMs or patches into the Android system.
BTW, I recommend finding Acer Recovery on the Market and use that to install CWM. Its super easy and less risk of you screwing something up.
BTW2, you also must be rooted in order to install CWM.

If I use CWM to make a full backup of my current ROM, can I revert back to the stock rom (my current build is Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2...

The answer is YES, you can revert back.
If you use the ROM I linked to, then you will be on 3.2 and rooted, which will allow you to use CWM.
In that case, all you would need to do is access CWM and then flash your backed up ROM. This will not only restore it to stock 3.1, but I think it should also restore all apps too (if you choose the option to include them in the backup).

Even if you don't back up your current ROM, you should be able to find it on XDA. You can flash it and you'll be back to where you are now, but there is no guarantee that any apps you downloaded from the Market will survive (all preinstalled Acer apps will be OK).

Or will having CWM on my tab make it so I cannot accept and install OTA updates any more. I understand that replacing one file in the system (i.e. the wpa_supplicant file) makes it so that Acer updates will not install. Is that the case if I install CWM?

As long as you install a non-custom ROM AND you do not delete or alter the Acer bloatware, then OTA updates can be installed. CWM will not affect OTA updates (been installing OTA updates with CWM installed, so I can confirm this).

The ROM I linked to is the stock ROM that you would receive if you went through with the update EXCEPT that the poster rooted it beforehand (currently, there is no way to root from within 3.2. You must tamper with the ROM from a computer before installing it, which is what that poster did).
Once installed, if you want to receive future OTA updates, you must not delete, rename, or move preinstalled apps from Acer. You can freeze them using apps from Market (this makes the apps appear as though they are no longer on the tablet, but they still occupy space), but you must thaw them prior to installing the OTA update.
As long as those simple rules are followed, all will be cool. Again, this comes from experience.

Let me know if I confused you.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Take from an Experienced noob:

It was too late for me when I did an OTA Update from 3.1 to 3.2 and I lost my Root Privilege.

Look for any threads with regards to updating to v3.2 with root or you'll do what I did: Revert mine to 3.0.1 and install my chosen ROM or Pick on any ROM's with a stock that can be updated via OTA.

2mysubb.gif

My A500 Rocks!
Thor Transformer Revolver 3.5 Port v4.1

danielg5

May 3, 2011
As long as those simple rules are followed, all will be cool. Again, this comes from experience.

Thanks so much! That's exactly the answer I've been looking for. Plus, Acer Recovery Installer backed up the existing recovery image befor installing CWM.

The only issue now is that I get the message, "can't mount /sdcard" when I try to make a backup of my current ROM. any thoughts? Do i need a newly formatted sd card for this to work? Thanks

UPDATE: I bought an additional micro-SD card, and the backup worked fine. Now trying out Taboonay ROM.

Last edited:

rex2001

Nov 7, 2011
I tried your link and it's gone. Have a new one? I purchase the A500 couple weeks and Acer just would not update the 3.01 installed. Contact them many times and the said the update is by Serial numbers OTA. God knows when. On one techn support chat that the Acer teck told me to do a cold reset, 3.2 will be installed automatically. Is this right?

Thanks.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I tried your link and it's gone. Have a new one? I purchase the A500 couple weeks and Acer just would not update the 3.01 installed. Contact them many times and the said the update is by Serial numbers OTA. God knows when. On one techn support chat that the Acer teck told me to do a cold reset, 3.2 will be installed automatically. Is this right?

Thanks.

My link?
My link is working. I just checked it. It will bring you to another forum. The download is the non-deodexed download in the first post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum