RAM usage has increased a lot

potato

Feb 21, 2013
Recently I've noticed that, opposed to the previous 400-500mb, my tablet is using around 680-750mb of RAM. I have not downloaded anything new recently, and the apps on the running thing (and cached processes) on the settings use probably about 60-70mb in total. My battery % thing has also become very inaccurate, although this could be completely unrelated. I have Avast and have not visited any dodgy websites or downloaded any dodgy apps, so it can't be a virus.

Does anyone know why its using so much more RAM?

Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't feel there is a solid explanation for the increased memory use. The Avast doesn't help and any infection caused by malware wouldn't do that either. You should be fine, based on the way Android uses the memory, but you might want to restart your tablet. That MAY help a little but would be temporary.

potato

Feb 21, 2013
Leeshor, restarting my tablet lowers the memory usage to about 500mb for about a minute, then it goes back to 700.
Dieseltown, I'm not rooted, so unfortunately I cannot get that app.
The increased memory usage does not seem to have caused a noticeable drop in battery life, so I don't think I really need to pay any attention to it. I just thought someone may have known why it suddenly started using 200mb more than before.
Thanks for the replies.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The memory use could probably be decreased with the uninstall of a few well chosen apps but probably isn't worth the trouble.