Random Deletion of microSD Card contents

mus

Mar 7, 2011
I booted up my GTab today and it so happens the microSD card I had inside it is empty... I was just playing some video's I had on it yesterday.

Anyone had this happen before?

I am using the Vegan Rom if that matters.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Unfortunately yes, I have had that happen. For me, it meant that my microsd was about to completely fail.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using the Android Tablet app!

greystreet

Apr 10, 2011
I’m having a similar issue. My /scared folder seems to be missing a handful of files and folders. Also, I noticed some pictures and videos missing that I had saved onto the device a few days ago. I’m in panic mode because I received an error when trying to do a restore from clockwork mod. Not sure what to do next at this point and I'm afraid of starting over knowing that there are files missing from the /sdcard folder. I’m assuming the /sdcard folder is the root folder since I can’t access or see anything higher than that from my computer.

Gary_O

Mar 20, 2011
One potential fix for this issue is to create an empty text file called: .nomedia (with no extension), and to place this file in the /sdcard2 folder. The /sdcard2 folder is the root folder of your MicroSD when it is installed in your gTablet. I read this on the XDA Developers forum. However, this is not a conclusive workaround, as a Google search for ".nomedia android" yields various feedback.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
One potential fix for this issue is to create an empty text file called: .nomedia (with no extension), and to place this file in the /sdcard2 folder. The /sdcard2 folder is the root folder of your MicroSD when it is installed in your gTablet. I read this on the XDA Developers forum. However, this is not a conclusive workaround, as a Google search for ".nomedia android" yields various feedback.

That is correct if your running Android 2.2 or older. If your running 2.3 (AKA any of the experemental ROMs), the /SDCARD is your external MicroSD card.

DrDreamItDoIt

Apr 27, 2011
I have a Viewsonic G Tablet with Vegan GE 7.0.0 RC1 ROM and a 16GB microSD (SanDisk) card, it gives me the same problem with erasing files on /sdcard2. This is what I found from doing some research.

"Did you format the micro sd card correctly? I had some problems and then formatted it on my PC to FAT32 (make sure you back up your files on the card beforehand to your PC) and all was ok. I can transfer files to it via es file explorer or Astro. Your computer won't show your micro sd (sdcard2), only the internal storage. Disappearing files on sdcard2 seems to be pretty common. For a solution search the forum for ".nomedia" file."

I'm gonna try the ".nomedia" file first, if that doesn't work I will try to format the microSD card to FAT32 and put the files back.

Update:
The "nomedia.txt" file on the root directory (main directory) of the /sdcard2 seemed to work for me. I have kept all the files (video, audio, documents, etc.) on my external 16GB sdcard over the last 5 days. I rebooted the tablet and the files were still there too. I hope I haven't been just lucky.... time will tell.

Last edited:

mus

Mar 7, 2011
I just had this happen again. I loaded some movies for a trip. The next day I booted it up at the airport and the folders were there but no movies!

I will try the format workaround first and see how that works