Random Reboots / Reboot at Sleep / etc...

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
...so I have seen a lot of people talking about their NC's rebooting on their own. I've also noted that a lot of them seem to have this issue when the NC wants to sleep or when they tap the power button to put it into sleep...

I thought it might have something to do with wifi/sleep/other interlinked functions...

I stumbled onto this post over at XDA and discovered there is a lot of discussion (mostly old) about the issue. Since it's an "old" topic over there I figured it must be something that most have figured out, and we should share the knowledge here.

Anyone have more experience fighting this crime on wifi-humanity?

I am trying out the 'Green Power' app listed in post #17, I'll let you know how it works for me.

How To Modify The WiFi Sleep Policy - xda-developers

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I have not had a single random reboot since I set up profiles to shut off wifi when the screen is off and turn wifi on when the screen is on. (Using Setting Profiles)

I don't know WHAT is making it reboot when in sleep (whether its an app or just the NC itself, as I seem to recall it doing it unrooted), but what I do know is that it involves wifi, and that turning wifi off fixes the problem.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I think the next post I found is what darmeen is talking about:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC!

silivrenion said:
Installed fix, and switched to the adhoc script. Could connect to both infrastructure and adhoc networks.

Turning the screen off and back on would prevent the device from reconnecting to the last used network. I fixed this by getting an app called "Setting Profiles" I created two profiles, one to turn WiFi on and one to turn WiFi off. I set the rules to force WiFi off when putting the device to sleep, and turn the WiFi back on when waking back up.

This reconnects to the latest network the device was connected to. It ALSO fixes the random reboot problem where sleep mode clashes with WiFi being on.

I see no major reason to switch back to the regular infrastructure configuration, since everything's working great now.

darmeen - are you using the paid app "Setting Profiles Full" from probeez ($3.99us)?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well, that is exactly what I did (albeit not because of adhoc/infrastructure issues)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Well, that is exactly what I did (albeit not because of adhoc/infrastructure issues)

LOL, awesome... can you maybe give a write up here about how you created the two profiles in the app? I'm sure folks would like to try this out (if they're willing to pay for the app - i'm considering it)

Also, since it's a paid app, what else do you use it for, is it worth the money to you? Why?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
NookColor Keep wifi alive by preventing sleep mode - nookDevs
Been using the app suggested at nookdevs for awhile now.

Only problem there is it's a paid app, so I have been trying to work out a free solution if all I need is THIS function. Otherwise, can you give me some reasons beyond wifi sleep to buy the app?

(I know it's only a few bucks, but I have to watch myself or I will nickel and dime myself into a beating from the wife if i'm not careful)

EDIT - your link is not to the paid app 'Settings Profile' it is to WakeTimer.

As for WakeTimer, looking at it, is appears to have to be manually started to work. So how does that function? My nook will never sleep after I activate?

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
The ONLY thing I am using it for right now is to control the wifi on and off, but I still think its a good value (what's it worth to not have your NC randomly reboot, usually, RIGHT before you go to use it)

It was pretty simple to setup the profiles

Under the Profiles Tab (default when you open the app), tap the Menu button (notification bar or softkeys/button savior)>>>Select New Profile

I created two profiles: Wifi Off...and...Wifi On

In the setting for the profiles (tap the profile to enter settings mode), you tap a star for any setting you want to control with that profile

So for Wifi Off Profile>>>Tap the star next to Wi-Fi, and remove the check mark (having the checkmark turns wi-fi on)

For Wifi On Profile>>>Tap the star next to wifi and make sure there is a checkmark in the box (I also starred and checked Auto-Sync, so that after wifi was turned on, it would force a sync with my mail)

***Once your profiles are setup***

From the Main page, tap the 'rules' tab

Now we want to create two rules, one for each profile

tap the Menu button (notification bar or softkeys/button savior)>>>Select New rule

Now you have to select a condition and an action

tap under Conditions where it says No conditions found (this will open a popup menu at the bottom, select 'Add Condition')

Scroll Down to 'Screen Status'

Tap OK (don't put a checkmark in the box, as that will create an inverse condition to Screen is turned on)

Tap under Actions where it says No Actions Defined (this will open a popup menu at the bottom, select 'Add action')

Tap Activate Profile and select Wifi On

**Go back to the rules page so we create a second rule**

tap the Menu button (notification bar or softkeys/button savior)>>>Select New rule

Now you have to select a condition and an action

tap under Conditions where it says No conditions found (this will open a popup menu at the bottom, select 'Add Condition')

Scroll Down to 'Screen Status'

Add a checkmark to invert the rule (for when the screen is off) and tap okay

Tap under Actions where it says No Actions Defined (this will open a popup menu at the bottom, select 'Add action')

Tap Activate Profile and select Wifi Off

There you have it...a quick rundown of using Setting Profiles to manage your wifi with your screen status

***(There is a TON more you could do with Setting Profiles, I just haven't had the time to really dig into it)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Only problem there is it's a paid app, so I have been trying to work out a free solution if all I need is THIS function. Otherwise, can you give me some reasons beyond wifi sleep to buy the app?

(I know it's only a few bucks, but I have to watch myself or I will nickel and dime myself into a beating from the wife if i'm not careful)

EDIT - your link is not to the paid app 'Settings Profile' it is to WakeTimer.

As for WakeTimer, looking at it, is appears to have to be manually started to work. So how does that function? My nook will never sleep after I activate?

-Its free
-Set to "cpu on/screen off"
-That's it, done

This app stays on all the time and automatically keeps both my home and work locked in when I'm near them. Haven't noticed any difference in battery life since I'm already using SetCPU profiles.