RAW photo viewer/editor

ttni

Apr 26, 2011
I guess I have it easy, I am using an Eye-Fi x2 Pro card. They just released the new firmware that enables you to tether the camera to the Android devices wirelessly.
Ah, thanks for the info! Looked them up and they're pretty impressive. Kind of eliminates one of the "why not iPad?" reasons tho, lol. Looks like their photo manager allows you to look at RAW thumbs, also. Of course, I'm not really at the place where I want/need/can afford to replace my SD/SDHC card collection....

I just copied a few raw files across from my laptop via USB to test. I need to find a card reader that will work with the gtablet so I can try copying rom CF card.
Thanks for the info also! Have you tried reading off the card while it was in your camera? I'm sure CF and SD/SDHC work differently, but please do let me/us know if you manage to find a compatible card reader!

Apr 11, 2011
This just in from the Android developer website:

This should make this app even more powerful.

More great info. Thanks for the heads-up. That would save me a headache I didn't really feel like dealing with. Unfortunately I imagine I won't qualify for getting 3.1 early :(. But by the time it's available hopefully I'll have the other loose ends tied up.

Apr 11, 2011
Ah, thanks for the info! Looked them up and they're pretty impressive. Kind of eliminates one of the "why not iPad?" reasons tho, lol. Looks like their photo manager allows you to look at RAW thumbs, also. Of course, I'm not really at the place where I want/need/can afford to replace my SD/SDHC card collection....

Their software is for Win and OSX, which is back to the gap we're trying to fill here. I'll have to check out this wireless capability at some point though.

TheZuneLune

Feb 21, 2011
You are my hero. :) Downloading everything right now. Canon 5D Mark II user. I fwe had tethering up and running by then end of September (big Southwest photo vacation) I will be over the moon. I am not a developer, but I will test and whatever else I can do to help.

Now we just need a way to get the "live view" function working" since we have USB hosting on the Xoom. ;)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
You are my hero. :) Downloading everything right now. Canon 5D Mark II user. I fwe had tethering up and running by then end of September (big Southwest photo vacation) I will be over the moon. I am not a developer, but I will test and whatever else I can do to help.

Now we just need a way to get the "live view" function working" since we have USB hosting on the Xoom. ;)

Define "live view"? I think tethering will be up to the google gurus whom claim to have it implemented in 3.1. If you have a xoom you're golden...the rest of us may be waiting quite a while though.

TheZuneLune

Feb 21, 2011
By live view I mean using Xoom like you use the LcD on the back of the camera. I have the camera adpater ordered, but I think it would take some creating a utility like the Canon EOS utility for live view to happen.

Apr 11, 2011
By live view I mean using Xoom like you use the LcD on the back of the camera. I have the camera adpater ordered, but I think it would take some creating a utility like the Canon EOS utility for live view to happen.

That's really beyond the scope of this program. But I'll keep in mind that there's an interest if I ever come across a way to do it. I have my doubts though, since Android is not designed to receive display input through USB.

iceagescrat

May 6, 2011
I have a xoom and the ability to just view the embedded JPEG without having to decode the images on the internal storage is good enough for me

Apr 11, 2011
I have a xoom and the ability to just view the embedded JPEG without having to decode the images on the internal storage is good enough for me

You have to at least decode the images to storage due to the limited memory heap Android allocates programs. Ideally the whole process will be transparent to the user in the end product.

TheZuneLune

Feb 21, 2011
Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but there is a CR2 (Canon RAW image) viewer in the market. I gave it a try and it really worked well. The app did everything it said it could do. features are:
* Preview the embedded jpeg images in folderview
* Show fullscreen preview
* Show extracted EXIF data
* Save as jpeg
* Share the image, e.g. mail or bluetooth
* Delete images

I transferred the photos from my pc because my camera cable for Xoom has not arrived yet.

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but there is a CR2 (Canon RAW image) viewer in the market. I gave it a try and it really worked well. The app did everything it said it could do. features are:
* Preview the embedded jpeg images in folderview
* Show fullscreen preview
* Show extracted EXIF data
* Save as jpeg
* Share the image, e.g. mail or bluetooth
* Delete images

I transferred the photos from my pc because my camera cable for Xoom has not arrived yet.

Yah, looks pretty good. For Canon the embedded thumbnail is decent enough quality to cheat that way. I've almost got all the framework in place, hopefully have a respectable release tomorrow.