Re-root

jleeusa

Mar 21, 2011
Yep you read correct, re-root. I recently bought an already rooted NC, it was a decent price. I don't know how it was rooted. Are there even different methods? When I rooted my phone, I learned a lot that helped me to understand updates, roms, themes, etc. I am considering rooting the NC again to get a feel for what is going on. Any idea if rooting an already rooted device could do it harm? If not what the preffered method, once again if there is more than one. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@OP
If you don't have Clockworkmod Recovery installed, just proceed to do a factory restore from the stock recovery already on the Nook Color. No sd card needed and just a coupld button presses will get you back to scratch. Then you can re-register to B&N and re-root.

Step 1 (factory image restore)
-Power off the nook.
-Tap the power button.
-3 to 5 seonds after "Welcome to the future of reading" appears, hold the power button down to interrupt the boot process. (this will turn the Nook COlor back off)
* If the boot animation does not appear, add 1 to your interrupted boot count.
* If the boot animation DOES appear, your interrupted boot count is reset to zero. Start over.
-Repeat the interrupt sequnece until your failed boot count reaches 8. At this point, the nook will re-flash its /system partition. You will see the process on the right.

Step 2 (de-registration)

option1
-With the Nook color powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the Nook Color powers on.
-You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog.
Press POWER key to Exit
Press HOME key to continue
-Press n button (home).
-You will be prompted to confirm.
Press POWER key to Exit
Press HOME key to continue
-Press n button (home).
-A Clearing Data dialog will show. Nook Color will reboot automatically once complete.

option2
-Go to Settings
-Select "Device Info" under the top "Device Settings" section
-Select "Erase & Deregister Device"
-Select the "Erase & Deregister Device" button
-You will be prompted with the following confirmation dialog
-Select the "Reset Nook" button
-A Deregistration message will appear and Nook Color will reboot.
-Upon reset a Clearing data message will appear
-Nook Color will reboot again once complete.