READ if your YouTube app suddenly starting crashing (known issue)

spexwood

May 11, 2011
This post is to inform everyone of this weird, but known issue with YouTube that seems to have started earlier today (2-8-2012) out of the blue. It is also to prevent a ton of panicky questions asking for help in regards to this issue (hopefully it will help, but we will see).

It is unknown as to why, but for some reason, many Honeycomb tablet users are suddenly having issues with their preinstalled YouTube app. Acer A500/501 users seem to be included in those having issues, but it is not certain if it is for ALL Iconia A500/501 users or if it is only for some.

Symptoms for this issue are basically Force Closes when trying to view videos, open subscriptions, etc. However, for Android devices running non-Honeycomb OS's (mostly Gingerbread; Ice Cream Sandwich is unknown right now), the app, preinstalled or not, has no problems whatsoever.

Additional problems associative with this issue are:
* YouTube app does not appear in Market, so you can't simply reinstall the app
* on the online version of the Market, YouTube app CAN be found, but not downloaded because the Market installer says that the app isn't compatible with our tablet

This issue has been reported to Google (developer of the app) here:
www.google.nl/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=7c02581ec03da026&hl=en
A solution has yet to be found.

In summary, let's not have a flood of new topics reporting this issue or asking about what is going on with all the YouTube app force closes. It is not just you or a problem with only your tablet (so wipe the cold sweat off of your faces lol).

EDIT:
OH! If you are having this problem too, please report it in the link above!
The more people who speak up, the less Google will shrug off the issue thinking that it is only a problem with a FEW people who screwed up their tablets or something. Whenever an issue shows its ugly head, you need to let the people in charge be aware of it.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

fivesilver

Feb 9, 2012
I'm having the same problem. Every time I try to open a video on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 I get a message:
the application youtube (process com.google.android.youtube) has stopped unexpectedly
Shutting down, clearing the cache, clearing data, none of this works. Very frustrating.

mikespe

May 18, 2011
The problem IS happening on NON-Honeycomb devices as well. I am a soak tester for the Bionic & we have having issues too. We thought it was the update until others began reporting it on their devices as well. It's happening on ICS, GB, and Froyo devices

jsansome

Feb 9, 2012
I can open the application but as soon as I click on a video, I get the same error message on my Motorola Xoom

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
it is also being reported on the Transformer Primes running ICS

phatphil

Aug 23, 2011
Ruht row, is it Dec.21, 2012 already? I have the same problem, I'm sure they'll get it lined out. I mean there like NASA, they've got people sitting behind people, that are sitting behind people just waiting to fix problems like this. I mean if they found oil on Harry Stampers ass they'll fix this.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Told you so, fixed already.

And so it is, so it is.
I just wasn't sure how long it would take... it took MUCH longer than I expected though. I'm pretty impressed! (I was expecting it to take about a week)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum

lostinamerica

Feb 10, 2012
I wonder if this has anything to do with google's new policy where they have the right to know the diameter of everyones personal orifices and the location of same in order for you to have access to the internet.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I wonder if this has anything to do with google's new policy where they have the right to know the diameter of everyones personal orifices and the location of same in order for you to have access to the internet.

Actually, I THINK Youtube was deleting unused inactive/unused accounts. I heard about this from several Youtube bloggers I am subscribed to. They were also joking about how they lost a lot of subscribers (who apparently weren't even watching) because of it lol.

I am not certain though. Their server may have been busy or takwn off line completely.

Who knows though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum