Reading file storage like a hard disk on my a500

hubgam

Jun 19, 2011
Hello. Just purchased today and was wondering if I can connect my portable hard disk via USB. So far, I tried to just plug it in and it cannot read it. Any hints???

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Typically your hard drive needs a motor start command sent, and Acer does not yet do that. It might get added in the next release.

It will work for thumb drives, USB sticks etc, but the problem with hardware drives is they either draw too much power
to run strictly from USB, OR they have a separate power supply but don't actually spin up till they see a motor start
command. Even those external hard drives with an external start capability such as the Smartbook series don't
seem to negotiate a connection.

So you have to stick to chip based storage like thumb drives.

hubgam

Jun 19, 2011
Thanks. Having problems with thumb drives too. I just tried to read a micro sd. But what app can I use to view my music and pictures? Thanks!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Music and picture viewers are built into android.
Gallery for pictures, Music for, well, music.

Download the file manager, and navigate to /mnt directory and you will see all the mounted media.
Tap to select, navigate to content, and tap any file name to open it.
The system will prompt for which program to use if there is more than one choice.

Gallery and Music apps will find all content even on plug in media like usb.

You are making it harder than it actually Is. ;-)

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
While the tablet detects the USB or Micro chip quickly it may take a while to be able to access any file on it the first time.
Thats been my experience anyway. Honeycombe is not Windows etc.

sf95070

Jun 8, 2011
I could see my storage on the settings page, but couldn't access the content on the USB drive or actual SD card until I installed the ASTRO file manager.

BTW, there is a folder called sdcard which is actually internal memory simulating an SD card to allow apps to work with no card.

The actual microSD card shows up as external_sd and a thumb drive shows up as usb_storage.

I was able to copy a 6GB music library from the thumb drive to the actual sd card or the simulated one. Then I realized I could just play the music right from the thumb drive and skip the whole copying process.

So far, ASTRO is the only file manager which recognized both external drives.

I tried File Manager Pro HD, which looks better on the tablet, but doesn't see the attached storage in any place where I can find it. I add the disclaimer as it does show all kinds of Linux like folders, but I still haven't found my actual SD card.

Good luck and enjoy!:cool:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Astro is FAR FROM THE ONLY file manager that handles the microSD card and usb drives.

In fact Astro is buggier than most. Even having paid for it I abandoned it for
Es file manager. It's way faster over wifi.

And Es is free.