RealPlayer For Android Review

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Omkar Dutta on August 23rd, 2012

I’m sure most of you might have already heard or even installed the popular RealPlayer app on your Android smartphones. This app was in beta for a very long time. However, RealNetworks recently released the final version of this amazing app. I’ve been using the beta version of this app for more than a year, but it was never the default music player on my Android smartphone. I personally liked the user interface of this app from the moment I installed it on my Android device.

realplayer_android_01.jpg

Earlier this month, RealNetworks removed the beta tag from this amazing media player app. The final version comes with a refreshed UI along with a graphic equalizer, metadata editing and much more. RealPlayer is currently available for free in the Google Play Store. However, you will need to shell out $4.99 for purchasing the premium package. The size of the app is 12 MB and and the current version is numbered 0.0.1.1. Most of the media player app does support devices running on Android 2.1 (Eclair) OS. Thankfully, you can install the RealPlayer app on devices with Android 2.1 or higher version of OS.

realplayer_android_02.jpg

RealPlayer for Android is an “All-In-One” media player app, which not only plays your favorite music, but also plays videos and displays the photos stored on your smartphone. As soon as you open the app, you will be greeted with an amazing homescreen as shown above. It will take a couple of minutes for the app to search your Android device for media contents. You can find the option to select Playlists, Albums, Genres, Songs, Artists along with Videos and Photos on the app’s homescreen.

realplayer_android_03.jpg

RealPlayer plays the music and videos smoothly, however it does not scan the internal memory by default for videos. On the other hand, there is no option in the settings to enable this feature. I found this a bit problematic, since all of the music videos and movies were stored in the internal memory of my smartphone.
An icon will be displayed in the notification bar, while you are playing a track. You can also find the album art and track info on the notification area. However, there is no option to play, pause or change the track from notifications. RealPlayer displays the song you are playing along with the album artwork and basic controls even when your phone is locked. This is one of the feature that I like the most. It allows you to play, pause or jump to the next/previous track even with out unlocking the phone. The photo browser is quite ordinary. It does not allow you to pinch and zoom or sort photos according to the album.

realplayer_android_051.jpg

This app is currently available in nine languages and it comes with an optimized graphics for high-res devices. It allows you to set your favorite song as a ringtone and control the media from the homescreen widget. Sadly, you cannot play .RAM and .RM files in the free version. The homescreen widget is pretty decent. It shows the song you are currently playing along with its album art and basic controls.

realplayer_android_04.jpg

The premium feature pack is available for $4.99 through an in-app purchase and it brings graphic equalizer with ability to save custom settings, metadata discovery using the Gracenote database, manual metadata editing, cross fading, RealAudio and RealVideo (rmvb) support and no advertisements. The basic version offers almost all of the necessary features. However, if you want to get rid of the advertisements or play Real audio and video files on your Android smartphone, then you can go ahead and purchase the premium package.

Price: Free (Basic, Ad-supported) / $4.99 for premium features

[ Download RealPlayer from Google Play ]

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Still waiting for a "real" VLC player, it's coming. ;) Sooner or later.