Receive all emails on more than one device

SteveC

Aug 24, 2012
I have just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 and would like to access my Virgin Media emails on this device as well as my Phone and Desktop PC.

According to the Virgin Media website you enter the 'recent:your-username' in the login box with the appropriate password.

When I enter that it says username or password is incorrect, however, when I take out the word recent: it works, so the password is right, but I don't receive all emails on the Tab as the other devices pick them up first.

Does anyone know how you get this to work so that I can receive all my emails on all devices.

Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There is more than one possible solution. If you set all your mail clients to IMAP rather than POP they will all sync with the mail server, problem solved. If using IMAP is not an option you can set all but one of your mail clients up to leave the mail on the server, (typically you would want to clear the mail from the server using one of the clients if you had some limits on the mail storage). The last client to check the mail would clean out the server side.

When I see this on my customer's systems it's usually because they kept their mail client open on their PC and checking mail every so often. If when that mail client checks the mail it also downloaded it and is on a POP account, the mail it downloaded would not be available any longer anywhere else.

If that doesn't make sense I can explain even further by example.

SteveC

Aug 24, 2012
I'd rather not use IMAP.

I have recent working on a Windows 7 desktop using Outlook 2010 and an HTC Wildfire running Android 2.2 (Froyo) and all I want to be able to do is set it up on my new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 but then I put the recent: before the user name it tells me that the username or password is incorrect.

But that config works on two other devices so they are not incorrect.

Is there something in Ice Cream Sandwich that does not allow this to work?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
This is the first I remember seeing anything about putting that recent statement in there so I can't comment on that. But a solution would be for you to tell your Outlook to leave the mail on the server for 1-2 days. That's another workaround that usually works.

Another thing you might consider is trying a different mail client. I doubt it has anything at all to do with ICS but the default mail clients are not the same from Android version to Android version and sometimes from one tablet, ICS or not, to another due to customizations from the manufacturer to take advantage of tablet functions or to add value in some way.

Try MailDroid or K-9 if that's the only way you can make it work is to use that statement. One or the other may work.