Received Bricked Novo 10 Hero, Have One Question

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
I recently received a bricked Novo 10 Hero tablet (I got it for free, not bought it), which I hoped I will fix it (I still hope). It's been 3 days of searching and trying all sorts of firmware, but for nothing, and that's why I'm asking for a little help. The tablet came bricked, as I said, and I don't know which is the original firmware. The only thing I could manage to do is making it recognized by windows, by shorting those 5-6 pins with a needle. At that point, I thought it would be simple. At first I followed that unbrick tutorial for Novo 10 hero (ENG_NOVO10HERO_Unbrick_Instruction_0_4_RC), but after the point when the display flickers a few times (with that purple color), it goes black (with a backlight), and that's it, no movement. It doesn't enter TWRP recovery, as the tutorial sais. I tried a few times over and over, with different usb slots, with different cables, with the tablet being on charge.... nothing, it still remains at the USB driver - wordcup. After that I tried other firmwares, but with the files from that tutorial (u-boot-orig, config_process, uImage_recovery) but I'm guessing it should be other files, specifically for every firmware. At the bottom side of the tablet, SN is: NOVO10HERO20130116G023823, and factories no: A047119. I guess I don't have to mention that I tried every combinations of buttons, if you are gonna ask me this.... no use. Now I'm trying to find a Firmware ready for AMLFlashTool (USBurning Tool), with a proper firmware. All the firmwares I found are for the SDcard recovery mode flash, and only one for AML Flash (that one from the tutorial), but is not working for me.

Please, if you can, could you point me where to look. I repeat, I search almost continuously, for the last 3 days, at one point I had about 30 tabs opened in my browser.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Looks like you are on the right track. You must follow the steps in the instructions. you must get the device in flash recovery mode, and install the drivers. Don't worry about the screen for now. Step by step.

You also need the firmware file: Novo1003-Hero-1115.zip was from the unbrick instructions you posted.
Do a google search.

I have no idea if this method will work. But it is exactly the kind of process you need to follow. Don't get confused with other recovery methods now (TWRP). Focus on unbricking. Good luck.

Last edited:

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
You also need the firmware file: Novo1003-Hero-1115.zip was from the unbrick instructions you posted.
Do a google search.

I have no idea if this method will work. But it is exactly the kind of process you need to follow. Don't get confused with other recovery methods now (TWRP). Focus on unbricking. Good luck.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, the firmware is 1115, which I kept trying to flash with AML Flash tool. But with no luck.

Right now I'm searching for another firmware that have AMF FLash tool files (usb_spl, u-boot-orig.bin, config_process.xml, uImage_recovery)

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
I think it needs to be files that corespond with the firmware, not just any resources files.
On that tutorial, that is supposed to be for Novo 10 Hero, are these 4 file: config_process.xml, u-boo-orig.bin, uImage_recovery and usb_spl.bin. The tutorial sais that on about 80% on the process, it stops and after 30 sec - 2 min the tablet should boot into recovery mode. I reach 80%, but nothing happens next, it just fails, with the backlight on. I post my log:

[T 0][16:02:55]: load spl ...
[T 0][16:02:56]: load uboot ...
[T 0][16:02:56]: Transfer Complete! total size is 501968 Bytes
[T 0][16:03:02]: test command exec: crc 0x8f800000 501968 e52532ff
[T 0][16:03:02]: command exec: crc 0x8f800000 501968 e52532ff
[T 0][16:03:02]: sendCommandWithReply: crc 0x8f800000 501968 e52532ff maxCount:30
[T 0][16:03:04]: begin run 8f800000
[T 0][16:03:07]: finish run 8f800000
[T 0][16:03:09]: command exec:set_chgcur 0
[T 0][16:03:10]: command exec:video dev bl_on
[T 0][16:03:11]: command exec:video dev enable
[T 0][16:03:13]: command exec:sf probe 2
[T 0][16:03:14]: command exec:sf erase 0 100000
[T 0][16:03:15]: command exec:nand erase 4000000
[T 0][16:03:21]: command exec:defenv
[T 0][16:03:22]: command exec:setenv bootargs ${bootargs} a9_clk_max=600000000
[T 0][16:03:23]: load command: setenv recovery_command --usb_burning
[T 0][16:03:24]: command exec:cmd_in_mem 0x82000000
[T 0][16:03:25]: command exec:save
[T 0][16:03:26]: load uimage ...
[T 0][16:03:26]: Transfer Complete! total size is 5177344 Bytes
[T 0][16:03:33]: command exec:bootm 0x82000000
[T 0][16:03:35]: boot uImage ...
[T 0][16:04:07]: cannot find disk!
[T 0][16:04:08]: failed because no connected device ,current step is 17

success:0 failed:1 failed postion: s17:1

Edit:
Step by step. You never answered the question. Did you get the drivers installed ? At what point did it fail? Can you post the log file?

The image file contains the u-boot and uImage recovery.

Here's a link with a bit more info.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/03...c-recovery-with-amlogics-hardware-flash-tool/

The link is for Droid Stick, I can't use it for my Hero

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The link is for Droid Stick, I can't use it for my Hero

Did you see the link in the article to the statedroid aml flashing tool? The article may not be about your device, but its the same cpu, and the same process.

Last edited:

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
Did you see the link in the article to the statedroid aml flashing tool? The article may not be about your device, but its the same cpu, and the same process.

Yes,i but the link is dead (if you refer at the link at the end of the article). That is not the point, the aml flash driver as installed, my PC recognize the tablet as word-cup device. I think you are a little wrong here... It is about the device, even it's the same CPU, that 4 files that I mentioned above have to be specifically for the novo 10 hero (I've read somewhere that these files can be made from a original working novo 10 hero). Trust me, I've tried about 15 different "u-boot-orig" and "uImage_recovery" and "config_process.xml", in all sorts of combination, but I realized I has to be the exact files for the firmware I initial had (which I don't know, and I was hoping someone could tell me by the look of the Serial Number I wrote in my first post, above). Thanks for your help anyway. I will still searching, and I'm open to all kind of ideas... but I've already tried a big part of them.

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
I still haven't found a way to unbrick my tablet:

As far, I tried these:

HERO 10 bricked solved - SlateDroid.com (not working, nothing appears when I press Power + volume -)

My windows detect it as world cup device, after I installed AML driver (before that was M3 or M6 chip)

I tried this guide:

http://www.svet-tabletu.cz/podpora/Ainol_Novo_10_Hero/ENG_NOVO10HERO_Unbrick_Instruction_0_4_RC.pdf

It was working fine until 80% when it stopped (error cannot find device). According to this guide, this error is normal at 80%, but it should enter TWRP recovery. I saw many post of other users that achieved with this guide to enter TWRP recovery, but I have no luck. After 80%, when it stops, my tablet remains with backlight turned on, and that's it... nothing appears. I have to reset it with a pin through the mic hole, and after that it would be recognized again by windows, as world-cup device, and I have to start the process all over again. This is this far as got. Please, could someone tell me, what am I doing wrong?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I'm confused. In the instructions, it says:

2.Donwload files from Unbrick_AINOL_HERO_10.rar
3. Unpack all files to С: (The path is very important)
You must take С:\Android

All I find at the link is a file.rar (really a text or srcipt file) not files. Are you using this file for the config_process.xml ?

What do you make of the differences in your log file? Seems a file didn't load at the start.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This seems interesting, might work on Coby tablets as well, my guess had you just used the recovery image the tablet might have booted into recovery mode, most likely the bootloader bin isn't for your tablet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

Last edited:

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
I'm confused. In the instructions, it says:

2.Donwload files from Unbrick_AINOL_HERO_10.rar
3. Unpack all files to С: (The path is very important)
You must take С:\Android

All I find at the link is a file.rar (really a text or srcipt file) not files. Are you using this file for the config_process.xml ?

What do you make of the differences in your log file? Seems a file didn't load at the start.

That link from the guide is dead

I found it on other site: ??????.????? (it's the same guide and tutorials and files)

Yes, I saw there are differences between my log and the guide log, but if you look closely, you can see at the guide log that the time between first "load spl" and the third "load spl" is 17 seconds, and that seems impossible to me:

Quote from guide log:

"[12:35:40]: load spl ...
[12:35:40]: Transfer Complete! total size is 18472 Bytes
[12:35:57]: load spl ...
[12:35:59]: load uboot ..."

So, my opinion is that is an error, or the user clicked on START, then STOP, and then START again after 17 seconds....

But that's just my opinion....

Of course I use C:\Android.... Trust me, I followed exactly as it sais on the tutorial... no mistakes... but still, no luck.....

Thanks for the interest though.

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
How did you prepare the sd card and what image did you use ?

I can't use the sdcard method because the tablet won't boot on Power + volume - , it won't do nothing. The only thing is AML Flash which I get stuck on 80% . I never got to the sd card part..... I'm desperate now...

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The missing file in your log is the usb_spl.bin file. Its exactly the same size. Wonder why its not loading ?

sup3rfly

Jun 2, 2013
I don't know, but I could use the opinion of other users who had (or have) the same problem. I saw a few posts of other users who encounter exactly the same problem. I sent them messages, and now I'm wating them to answers... Thanks anyway. I'm nog giving up. It has to be a solution.