Received New Ainol Novo 8 Discover, It Arrived Rooted!

ricop106

Jun 13, 2013
Just thought I would post this about my new Ainol Novo 8 Discover. Received it last week and discovered it arrived already rooted! e-Mailed Ainol and I am still waiting for their response as to how this happened and how to correct. I downloaded a root checker from the Play Store and it confirms that the tablet has root. Tried SuperSu to do temp un-root but no luck. $Ainol 01.JPG$Ainol 04.JPG

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi, congratulations on your new Novo 8 and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. You're the first person I've seen here trying to un-root a tablet, everyone else seems to be trying to root theirs. Is there a particular reason you don't want it rooted?

ricop106

Jun 13, 2013
I use Flixter for my movies and Flixter does not stream to rooted devices. Also just interested in why and how it got through Ainol rooted. I e-Mailed them and asked if they sent me a used and returned device and they denied that. I otherwise don't mind being rooted. I haven't had a lot of experience working rooted devices, only on the Coby 8024 which I have done many Gingerbread updates.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I use Flixter for my movies and Flixter does not stream to rooted devices.

Sounds like a very good reason to un-root.:) Some tablets have been arriving rooted either from the factory or via a reseller, but I haven't seen anything regarding the Novo 8 Discover. I'm going to move your thread to the Novo Tablets forum where the folks with that tablet are more likely to see it. Hopefully, someone there will be able to help you out. Good luck and enjoy the forum!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No success with that.

No success with what? It would help if you explained with a bit more detail what you have tried so far, and what doesn't work.

you can either adb or use a terminal from market to find which binary is your root.

by typing busybox which su

now rename or delete that su removes root.

Code:
vampirefo@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:~/Desktop$ adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
root@android:/ # busybox which su
/system/xbin/su
root@android:/ #

So my root is /system/xbin/su

now lets kill root

Code:
root@android:/ # mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/sudo
root@android:/ # busybox which su
1|root@android:/ #

as you can see this time when asked which su there is none, so no root.

now we will try to get root.

Code:
1|root@android:/ # su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
127|root@android:/ #

now lets restore root

Code:
127|root@android:/ # mv /system/xbin/sudo /system/xbin/su
root@android:/ # su

Last edited:

ricop106

Jun 13, 2013
O.K. sorry, I thought it was clear I had no success with OTA Rootkeeper as suggested by Frederuco. Also tried Super SU with no success. As for your suggestion it may well be the way to do it but it is way above my current abilities. Hopefully I will learn from these forums and gain the skill level that I need. Thanks!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
O.K. sorry, I thought it was clear I had no success with OTA Rootkeeper as suggested by Frederuco. Also tried Super SU with no success. As for your suggestion it may well be the way to do it but it is way above my current abilities. Hopefully I will learn from these forums and gain the skill level that I need. Thanks!

Download terminal from play store.
Open terminal type below press enter after each command.
su
busybox which su

Post output from above commands

Sent from my Coby MID7065 using Android Tablet

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
/system/xbin/su
OK open terminal again type one command at a time press enter after each command.

su

mount -o remount,rw /system

mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/sudo

ricop106

Jun 13, 2013
O.K. Did all that but root checker now says "sorry this device does not have proper root access. Flixter still warns that the device is rooted and won't stream movies.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The tablet isn't rooted any more, I don't know what the other app is checking for.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I just download this app watching movie clips no problem on my rooted tablet.

Sent from my CM9 SPH-D710 Android Phone