Recommend Tablet, Apps for This Work Task?

EdNerd

Nov 7, 2012
I'm thinking we have a task here at work that would be handled perfectly by a tablet. I'm just not up on the different tablets and their capabilities. So I'm hoping someone here might be able to make some recommendations before I approach management with the idea.

We will go out in the field to check on people and operations. Here's the list of needs:
-- Manuals and procedures loaded as PDF files.
-- Forms that can be filled in. These are usually created on a Windows PC in Word or Excel (2007); the tablet would have to recognize and work with these formats or we would need to convert them to a tablet-friendly format.
-- Sync by cable. Could simply show up as a USB storage device rather than actual file sync.
-- Internal or app-driven "permanent" airplane mode; able to be restored to connectivity, but only by admin and not by the user. (Yah, it would solve so much if we could just leave networking on and have all out stuff reside on a server here at the office - but leaving the network open also allows certain uses and abuses that are most unwelcome.)

This seems like a pretty standard use for a tablet. But as I say, I'm familiar with that part of the world. I'm just one of the guys who's going to have to lug a suitcase full of manuals and forms if we can't somehow streamline this!

Any suggestions are very welcome!
Ed