[RECOVERY] Official ClockworkMod Recovery Information and Versions

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I asked this over at xda - not sure if this makes any sense

Back up Questions.

Using 3.0.0.5 internally - side loaded 1.1.0 - Backup to my data 16GB class 4 Sandisk worked. Never tried to restore. I should now change to 3.0.1.0 and new version of ROM manager. Correct?

When I switch to SD card 0.6.8 Froyo 2.2 on a 8 GB class 4 Sandisk with the 4 partitions. Rooted Eclair 2.1 still in emmc. Can I use 3.0.1.0 installed above to back up the SD card 0.6.8 Froyo 2.2 system (partition 1-3) to my data partiton 4? Or should I just use the partition software on windows to make a backup of complete SD card Froyo on the same size or larger SD card?

Edit: I did get the correct checksum for cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip. Should I use this first?

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I asked this over at xda - not sure if this makes any sense

Back up Questions.

Using 3.0.0.5 internally - side loaded 1.1.0 - Backup to my data 16GB class 4 Sandisk worked. Never tried to restore. I should now change to 3.0.1.0 and new version of ROM manager. Correct?

When I switch to SD card 0.6.8 Froyo 2.2 on a 8 GB class 4 Sandisk with the 4 partitions. Rooted Eclair 2.1 still in emmc. Can I use 3.0.1.0 installed above to back up the SD card 0.6.8 Froyo 2.2 system (partition 1-3) to my data partiton 4? Or should I just use the partition software on windows to make a backup of complete SD card Froyo on the same size or larger SD card?

Edit: I did get the correct checksum for cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip. Should I use this first?
First, you should update your CWR to v3.0.1.0, I would wait on ROM Manger for now since it's just updated again to v3.0.1.1 and has a few reported issues at XDA.
Second, you can supposedly restore any backup for any rom with the new CWR - I have not tested yet, but plan to this weekend.
Third, your best solution for the SD froyo card is to make an img backup via your pc - simple and quick.

Rom Manager 3.0.1.1 is out :)

See above, already some issues reported. I am beginning to think that the developers are moving too fast and the attempt at combining ext3/ext4 along with other things might have created a small trip. I am going to hold off on RMv3.0.1.1 for now.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok since cwr 3.0.1 has ext support I can flash cm7 or the new phiremod through my new internal 3.0.1 cwr recovery correct? I don't have to use thecubed work around anymore? Also can I restore a non ext rom through internal cwr now? Sorry if I missed this.

sent from my rooted nook color

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok since cwr 3.0.1 has ext support I can flash cm7 or the new phiremod through my new internal 3.0.1 cwr recovery correct? I don't have to use thecubed work around anymore? Also can I restore a non ext rom through internal cwr now? Sorry if I missed this.

sent from my rooted nook color

That's the theory, and one i plan to test today. If you want to wait, I'll see how borked I make my NC. :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
*fingers crossed* I hope it should work. Saves time and overhead of creating EXT4 SD

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK, I can just about say without doubt (there's always a little doubt) that this works.

• I started with CM7 - RM v3.0.1.0 - CWR v3.0.1.0: rebooted into recovery and performed a full backup (this is of my latest and current state)
  • I then wiped cache, dalvik (locked up - forced reboot to recovery), formatted /data /system, restored my B&N stock 1.0.1 rooted backup (this was my first backup after re-rooting a few weeks ago)
  • Restore completed as normal, CWR was locked up after restore (which happens sometimes) - forced reboot and it booted to CWR v3.0.0.5 (reported)
  • Rebooted via CWR and loaded up B&N stock 1.0.1 - rooted just fine. Played around and everything seemed to work except I couldn't get wifi to connect, not sure why.
  • Loaded up RM and it showed as RM v3.0.0.7 with a CWR of v3.0.1.0 (which conflicts with what I saw in recovery after restoring)
  • Rebooted into recovery via RM, recovery console reports being v3.0.0.5 so I am nervouse, but do a wipe of cache, dalvik (no lock), formatted /data /system, restored my latest CM7 recovery.
    • (It's important to note this is the scary point because I am trying to restore an ext4 backup from what looks like a ext3 only compatible CWR)
  • Restore completes as hoped for, but locks after completion (same as before, this sometimes happens)
  • Forced reboot and CM7 loaded as normal before doing any experimenting. Wow.. it works!
  • Played around and all seems to be like it was before I started, nice to know.
  • Loaded RM and see RM v3.0.1.0 and CWR v3.0.1.0 again, all is well so far.
  • Rebooted to recovery via RM, wiped and formatted again, restored my fully tweaked out B&N stock 1.0.1 backup from just before moving to CM7 and it loaded fine.
  • Loaded up RM, and see RM v3.0.0.7 and CWR v3.0.1.0 - but reoobting into recovery shows a CWR of v3.0.0.5 (I think this is just coming from a file within recovery but isn't true because my restoring of CM7 worked, not sure)
  • Wiped everything and formatted again, loaded up my latest CM7 again, and all is well.

I can say that with my NC, I was able to flash backups from ext4 to ext3 back to ext4 over and over. This means that I can now create a backup of my CM7, wipe and install something completely different for testing or article purposes, wipe it and restore my CM7 for daily use. Woot! Woot! (Definitely deserves the double woot)

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
OK, I can just about say without doubt (there's always a little doubt) that this works.

I can say that with my NC, I was able to flash backups from ext4 to ext3 back to ext4 over and over. This means that I can now create a backup of my CM7, wipe and install something completely different for testing or article purposes, wipe it and restore my CM7 for daily use. Woot! Woot! (Definitely deserves the double woot)

"Nothin' but Blue Skies from now on..."

1299352936268.jpg

I will second the double woot and raise you a woot. So thats woot^5. :confused:Right?:confused:

Anyway, smashing good news Face. Thanks for offering up your Nook as the test subject.
This is really cool. Every single one of my friends that has seen my NC wants one or has already ordered one. One of my friends is getting two, one for him and one for his wife. :cool:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
First, you should update your CWR to v3.0.1.0, I would wait on ROM Manger for now since it's just updated again to v3.0.1.1 and has a few reported issues at XDA.
Second, you can supposedly restore any backup for any rom with the new CWR - I have not tested yet, but plan to this weekend.
Third, your best solution for the SD froyo card is to make an img backup via your pc - simple and quick...

Thanks. I have a question for the Third option: Since the sd card has 4 partitions that window and mac do not show some of the partitions, is there a window or mac program to make an image of the complete sd card that can be restored?

The only thing I have found is EASEUS Partition Master for windows, but not sure how I would use it?

Edit: Since CWR v3.0.1.0 is working so well, maybe I should switch to the emmc version [ROM] Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 CWR for eMMC Update (2/25). Then I can like you guys, switch between it and backed up Rooted original Eclair 2.1. I can even try the CM7 nightlys, HC v4 eMMC 2nd ed., and phiremod version of 2.2.

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks. I have a question for the Third option: Since the sd card has 4 partitions that window and mac do not show some of the partitions, is there a window or mac program to make an image of the complete sd card that can be restored?

The only thing I have found is EASEUS Partition Master for windows, but not sure how I would use it?

Edit: Since CWR v3.0.1.0 is working so well, maybe I should switch to the emmc version [ROM] Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 CWR for eMMC Update (2/25). Then I can like you guys, switch between it and backed up Rooted original Eclair 2.1. I can even try the CM7 nightlys, HC v4 eMMC 2nd ed., and phiremod version of 2.2.

Yea, the new CWR seems stable and capable, at least on my NC so far. That would be the "right" answer but color me skeptical with the flurry of updates lately.

As far as the other question, the same program that you used to create that Froyo card (likely Win32DiskImager) has another button "Read" that allows you to create an *.img file on your pc of whatever is on the card. The reverse of what you did burning the card. :) So simple, it took me days to realize I had that ability with the program. lol. Just have to type in the destination of *.img file in the location box since it doesn't exist yet (ie - i typed in 'c:\sdcardbackup.img') and then make sure the sd card drive letter is selected to the right, then hit the 'read' button. wait forever, done. if it errors, delete failed img file and try again.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
damn that man needs a changelog - but he'd never have time to update it since the app is updated every 5 minutes it seems.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Yea, the new CWR seems stable and capable, at least on my NC so far. That would be the "right" answer but color me skeptical with the flurry of updates lately.

As far as the other question, the same program that you used to create that Froyo card (likely Win32DiskImager) has another button "Read" that allows you to create an *.img file on your pc of whatever is on the card. The reverse of what you did burning the card. :) So simple, it took me days to realize I had that ability with the program. lol. Just have to type in the destination of *.img file in the location box since it doesn't exist yet (ie - i typed in 'c:\sdcardbackup.img') and then make sure the sd card drive letter is selected to the right, then hit the 'read' button. wait forever, done. if it errors, delete failed img file and try again.

I can understand us being skeptical.

Thanks for the answer on making an image. It is wonderful to have people like you here who are willing to share their knowledge. I guess when I get done backing the image up, I could use this image backup with Win32DiskImager and if necessary EASEUS Partition Master to put it on a class 6 or class 10 sd card of equivalent or larger size then my current class 4 card. A good quality higher speed sd card should speed my ROM up since it is running from there. Over at XDA they have a thread on cards. People seem to like the 8gb Transcend Class 6 sd card. Any comments over here?

Last edited:

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
I do not know if its related but after I updated CWM now my gallery is FC city. Running 2.2 Phiremod Beta 2.. not a huge deal but annoying. I cleared Data but nothing else.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I can understand us being skeptical.

Thanks for the answer on making an image. It is wonderful to have people like you here who are willing to share their knowledge. I guess when I get done backing the image up, I could use this image backup with Win32DiskImager and if necessary EASEUS Partition Master to put it on a class 6 or class 10 sd card of equivalent or larger size then my current class 4 card. A good quality higher speed sd card should speed my ROM up since it is running from there. Over at XDA they have a thread on cards. People seem to like the 8gb Transcend Class 6 sd card. Any comments over here?

I have two and love both of them.