[RECOVERY] Official ClockworkMod Recovery Information and Versions

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Go to market and search for ROM Manager, see what version it says...you should be able to just install and it will overwrite the old version, then flash CWR again, reboot manually, and motor on!

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
**EDIT** I tried selecting the "Nook Color" option and that seems to have worked :). Ignore my questions below.

Thanks Darmeen. I updated Rom Manager and gave the flash a try again, rebooted. Rom Manager still shows 3.0.0.5 for CWR. I went into Recovery and it also shows 3.0.0.5. Should I try the Nook Color option that does not say "old"?

Also, if it matters or is a sign of another problem, it takes almost no time to get the "flash complete" message when I tell it to Flash CWR. Should it be that quick?

And to confirm my method: I downloaded the 3.0.1.0 zip file from this thread (post number 21 from Ricco). Put the zip on the root of my SD card. Open Rom Manager and select "Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery" and choose "Nook Color (old)". Am I doing something wrong? Do I have the wrong zip file?

Last edited:

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
That's the issue with CWR that folks are having and we dont have an explanation yet. But if you go into ROM Manager and Flash recovery again but select the 'Nook Color (old)' it should fix the issue. Try that. And if you already have, then select 'Nook Color' when flashing CWR. For some reason, people are having trouble with one or the other. Pick the right one and things work as intended.

Hmm. I got CWR to flash to 3.0.1.0 by selecting "Nook Color." I first had tried to select "Nook Color (old)" but it didn't work. After I got 3.0.1.0 loaded, I went into Recovery to make a backup, and I got the same "cannot mount /system" error that caulktel got. I tried Faceman's advice and reflashed with "Nook Color" option again and I get the same error... now what? Am I supposed to wipe any of the caches before I do this?

Last edited:

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Oh boy, that's what I was afraid of. I've never used adb... looks like I'll have to try and learn...

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
SLOW DOWN! :)

OK, a few things to be cleared up.....

1. ROM Manager (this is the app that you use on the NC and is downloadable from the market) is up to version 3.0.1.2
2. CWR aka ClockworkMod Recovery (this is the internal recovery software that ROM Manager works with and is accessbile with the hard keys boot into recovery, etc) is up to version 3.0.1.0

Try not to confuse the two, it will make you bonkers.

Now that that is out of the way, the deal seams to be this: you do want to have the latest ROM Manager installed and if you can't see it in market, ask around for an APK or something but the market should give it to you, if not, uninstall the one you have and search for it again.

You can then flash the latest CWR to your NC from inside ROM Manager - MAKE SURE YOU POWER OFF AND BACK ON after you flash recovery and BEFORE you try to actually USE recovery. Now, when you flash recovery it will ask you to pick your device. The official word from nemith at XDA is to use 'Nook Color' only because it works for everything. I firmly believe he is wrong. You will need to use 'Nook Color (old)' if you are running any ext3 rom (which is anything other than CM7 and cm7 based phiremod at this time) - and you need to use 'Nook Color' if you are using any ext4 based rom (which again is CM7 or phiremod v3+).

Using the wrong one will give you a 'can't mount /system' error or others. But mostly just that one. Solution if you get that while trying to back up is to go back into ROM Manager and flash CWR again and select the other device. No harm here.

I also believe that as long as you are using an ext3 based rom you will see CWR v.3.0.0.5 in recovery and if you are using an ext4 based rom you will see CWR v.3.0.1.0 in recovery, but will always see CWR v3.0.1.0 in ROM manager. Not sure why, but I am sure it has to do with the device selected.

I hope this help, I am in a rush to get out the door, so please let me know if I confused things more or not.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I also believe that as long as you are using an ext3 based rom you will see CWR v.3.0.0.5 in recovery and if you are using an ext4 based rom you will see CWR v.3.0.1.0 in recovery, but will always see CWR v3.0.1.0 in ROM manager. Not sure why, but I am sure it has to do with the device selected.

It's not the case for me; when I flash and select (old) I see 3.0.0.5 in both RM and CWR.

When I flash and select the 'Nook Color' (not old), I see 3.0.1 in both RM and CWR

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Ditto. If I use "old" I see 3.0.0.5 in both rom manager and recovery. If I use the other option I see 3.0.1.0 in both. I'm using b&n 1.1 rooted and the 1.1 ghz kernel. When I load recovery with 3.0.1.0 showing and attempt to backup, I get the error message. I guess I'll flash with "old" even though it shows 3.0.0.5. The test will be if 3.0.1.0 shows up after I load a froyo or gingerbread rom...

Last edited:

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
If 3.0.0.5 is showing in RM and/or CWR, can the Gingerbread or HC ROMs be flashed from there? I was seeing 3.0.0.6 as the oldest version when making a boot card to flash the CM7 ROM (in avi's thread).

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks for the heads up on wireless. Is there a newbie walkthrough of how to use adb? I have the ap, but do I need a program for my desktop too?

**EDIT** for other newbies, I found a site that looks to be helpful for those who don't know anything about ADB. I have not used it yet, but I thought I'd share it:

How To: adb for Windows the Easy Way

I tried to use this link and I'm not having any luck. I added the Path ;C:\android\tools\ as directed, but when I type "adb shell" I get an error that adb is not recognized as an internl or external command, operable program, or batch file...

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Well, I decided to go ahead and download Phiremod Beta2. I booted to recovery, formated system, formated data, installed Beta2 from the zip and it's up and running. Do I need to install some specific kernel? Everything seems to be running great as is with no overclock. My quadrant score has been 1400-1500 (which is ~250 better than my B&N 1.1 build running the 1.1 GHz kernel).

Happy camper so far...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011